(Topic ID: 290814)

Engagement Rings -- More or Less than I spend on Pinball?

By Time

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pin owners, how much would you spend on an engagement ring?”

• 1 NIB Stern Premium 32 votes
      52%
    • 1 NIB Stern LE 6 votes
      10%
    • 2 NIB Stern Premium 8 votes
      13%
    • 2 NIB Stern LE 3 votes
      5%
    • Pirates of the Caribbean CE 13 votes
      21%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

great-great-grandma-meets-granddaughter_196113-132873d (resized).jpg
    De-Beer (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1617070894501 (resized).jpg
    89071755-E1F2-45BA-B90E-12C6626B29D2.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210328-103003_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    399A5607-F1A3-4A3C-839D-21E58842E7C7 (resized).jpeg
    Untitled.jpg
    EF23232B-5857-48EC-B5FE-809C10F631EF (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Time.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

She's expecting a ring sometime this year. Been getting more than subtle hints. Never shopped for one. I definitely know a lot more about pin pricing than rings. Forget the two or three months salary thing - that's nonsense. But she definitely knows what NIB pins costs. I've bought a few higher end machines over the years but usually trade them out. I've got money in games, but I can usually get most of that back out. Can't really do that with a ring. Money spent on that will mean no machines for awhile.

If I go too cheap, will she compare the ring to my pins? If I spend too much, can't buy more pinball.

I may have to sell a machine or two to finance this. How have you dudes managed this?

#59 3 years ago

Well wasn't expecting so many replies so quick. Good stuff - been reading through everything.

Quoted from northvibe:

get some things she’d like in a ring, like the stone shape, material of ring and maybe a design cue. ...But step one to any good relationship is communication, step one to getting a ring is communication :-p

She doesn't wear jewelry really. Her ears aren't even pierced. At most she wears a bracelet and thin neckless. Yet I'm sure if I let her pick it out, we'd end up at Tiffany & Co. because their marketing has convinced her its the best. I'm thinking maybe we could do that for a band which are usually pretty generic. But I feel the transitional thing is to surprise the girl. Seeing here a lot of advice to not do that. Definitely going to focus more on finding out what shapes she'd like.

I'm pretty confident its going to be a simple solitaire with a nice stone. She's very traditional in her dress.

Quoted from freeplay3:

Every once in a while she will bust my balls about not doing the down on a knee BS

Good advice, I better do the knee thing. She asked me how things were going when we were dating for like 6 months and said "just fine." I still haven't heard the end of that. She reminds me at least once weekly that things are just FINE.

Quoted from LTG:

I'd discuss it with her. In this day and age, she might want something simple to wear. So she doesn't attract crime.
    LTG : )

Attracting the wrong attention is definitely a concern. Hadn't thought of that.

Quoted from jester523:

Put it on a 18 month no-interest credit card and took a while to pay it off.

I feel like financing this with credit is probably not a wise financial move. I don't even put pins on credit. Rates are pretty low, but I try to keep credit open for investments when possible. My plan is to use a credit card for points and then pay it off immediately.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I know a few folks who decided to forgo diamonds and instead go with other (less expensive) stones as an alternative.

She (and her mother) have mentioned diamond around marriage a few times - I know that's on her mind. She's pretty traditional. She loves vintage stuff though. Kind of doubting that would extend to no diamond.

Quoted from atrainn:

I went for a vintage ring. They're far more unique and affordable than something from a store like Jared.

Totally agree, but I haven't really found a good place to shop for vintage rings and stones. Maybe that's just more of an inspersion thing. Online it seems to easy to be scammed. I went to a major jewelry mart Downtown and felt overwhelmed.

Quoted from zombywoof:

Get a stone with a GIA certification.

100% - GIA is the only thing I'd consider. I don't trust myself to not make a mistake not buying some rando cert when I likely can't tell the difference myself. I found Blue Nile online and that seems like something I could trust for the stone itself. They let you filter by cert.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

buy HER the NIB machine and if she accepts, it’s proof she’s the one!

I pitched, what if we bought each other nice watches instead of rings? I showed her a Tiffany blue Oyster Perpetual thinking surly this would win her over. Way better investment than a rock. She rejected that idea immediately. I'm going to guess a pin isn't going to work. Though -- she did enjoy playing Avengers LE

I've been told this more than once. Its a great idea, but she knows about Costco and their return policy unfortunately. The women are on to this one.

Quoted from vicjw66:

Ask drew brees what he thinks about diamonds. The fool actually was suckered into throwing $15 million at “investment grade” diamonds to diversify his portfolio.

Yeah, I've become resigned to the fact this is money I'll never see again.

Quoted from zermeno68:

always complained about constantly washing her hands and how she did not want to ruin the ring or possibly lose it. Often times the ring would cut the gloves she always had to put on/off.

My mom worked furniture retail growing up; moving sofa's and mattress everyday. She wore a ring a bit too big for that job too. She was always hitting it on things, scratching, and tearing up stuff. I 100% understand this. But would my GF understand this beforehand? Hmmm....

2 weeks later
    #89 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

What happened to equal rights in this country ?
    I want to know if she proposes to me. How big of a rock do I get ? Do I get a pinball machine too ?
    LTG : )

its only fair. For real, where's the women's proposals to us dudes? I keep telling her I've been eyeing an Omega Dark Side of the Moon watch. Still waiting... Though would that mean I pay for the wedding then? Hmm, that might not be a good trade. She's been watching some Disney enchanted wedding show. Every time she calls me over to look at it I say the same thing, looks expensive

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

her a brand new stern topper, it will triple in value in less than 1 yr.

NIB stern toppers are a lot rarer than diamonds. I could try saying the KISS topper reminds me of her, but she probably wouldn't go for it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Time.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/engagement-rings-more-or-less-than-i-spend-on-pinball-?tu=Time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.