Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by themadman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Last night a nice kid comes in my pin shop, and give me some money to play the games. He plays Lost World, but then tells me the flippers are acting up, and dont' fire at all. I noticed one of the flippers was stuck up a little maybe 1/4 of the sweep. I said, I'll fix it, you go ahead and play something else. I started by looking at fuses, and sure enough, F4 I think 5 amp slow blow? Anyway, I replaced it, and the left flipper started working, but the right one wasn't working. I also noticed a burning smell coming from the inside of the cabinet when I was looking at that fuse. So, underneath the table I find the coil is BLAZING hot! I managed to get it off, and I see the coil sleeve has melted. So, I replace the whole thing, put a new coil I happened to have in my kit - Gee. It's kinda nice to have a few spare parts of common solenoids, and switches, and fuses and such that one might need. I put it back together, and the flipper worked now, but I put my finger on it, and almost instantly it's getting hot again. When you hit the flipper button, you SEE a spark from the end of stroke switch, but it seems that it was adjusted such that it would spark, but then fall back just where it activated the first coil again. Adjusted the switch so it worked properly, and all was well.

Shortly thereafter, he tells me ANOTHER game, this time it's Stellar Wars, has a flipper problem as well! Sure enough, same problem. Luckily the fuse blew before melting the coil this time. The left flipper had the same Mis-adjusted switch, but the right flipper the coil stop had come partially loose- one of the screws fell out completely, and the other one was almost out. These screws didn't have the tooth-lockwashers to hold them from coming out.

The first game was on me, I had seen that the right flipper dimmed the lights on the cabinet when it was held in, but I guess knowing that it seemed stressed, I never held that flipper in for any length of time. The Stellar Wars was a game I took in on trade, so it had been at a customer's house for several months, and the owner didn't know to check to make sure screws and nuts, and things were kept snugged up. This game, and several others I've found seem to have problems with screws and nuts backing out. What are you supposed to do? Teach the owners how to go through and make sure posts are tightened down, and that nuts under the playfield don't look to be missing or out of whack?

Anyway, I didn't watch the kid play, but I gather he must have been holding in the flippers long enough to cause a problem with the end of stroke switches. That is what wouuld cause the problem right? I played several games on these two machines, and never had that happen. I've had a few people come in play up to now, but nobody else seemed to stress the games enough to cause that blown fuse, or worse, the melted coil.

lessons learned! When cheking the tightness of playfield, cleaning and waxing, also look to make sure essential systems like EOS switches are working properly- Not just that they seem to open (or close) correctly when held in place manually, but when the power is applied and the switch is held in, that they are working properly, thus avoiding a melted coil, blown fuse, or worse!

-Brian

#2 6 years ago

Did you refund his money ?

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

If everything was working right him holding the flippers shouldn't hurt anything especially if the EOS switches were working. Maybe just a coincidence?

#4 6 years ago

Worn flipper plunger/links will cause excessive play in opening/closing the EOS switch.

#5 6 years ago

On my TAF in the menus, going to the tests section the flipper hold test doesn't do anything for any of the flippers, but they do hold correctly when playing.

Does this indicate a problem?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

No. It's funky at best. I don't use flipper tests. If you hold the flipper up and do it, it might work.

And your game is fliptronics, nothing like the problem the original poster has.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago

Didn't refuse his $$$. I don't blame him, actually if he played all the games that way, I assume he did, the. The EOS must be working for the rest of the games!

I recall someone saying a while back that a locked in solenoid can cause a solenoid to get RED hot. I can definitely believe that! It was still too hot to touch 5 minutes after he played the game and found the problem with the flippers.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

On my TAF in the menus, going to the tests section the flipper hold test doesn't do anything for any of the flippers, but they do hold correctly when playing.

You have to move the flipper up BY HAND (leave a little play so that you can see the flipper twitch), and then the HOLD test should HOLD the flipper up. It is a HOLD test, not a FIRE/MOVE test.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/end-of-stroke-madeness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.