(Topic ID: 137025)

EMs: What's that smell?

By Craig

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Apocalypse_Now.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramegoom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 8 years ago

I figured it out. The smell comes from the phenolic wafers that separate the contacts on all of the relays and the stepper contact board.

I have that same smell in my 1957 Bally ball bowler, and an even stronger aroma that's almost identical in my 1953 United puck bowler. It's the same as my 1948 United WISCONSIN pin.

I picked up a relay rack off of Ebay as a spare, put it in my office, and after the weekend in there, the whole office smelled like the other machines. That rack has 16 relays, and a ton of those phenolic spacers, so it's GOT to be the source.

I wish they made a candle with that scent...I'd keep it burning in the game room all the time.

#41 8 years ago

It could be a mixture of the phenolic, the wood, and the wiring. It's not necessarily a phenolic smell, but a combination of unknowns. Whatever it is, it makes up the most unusual, and pleasant "early-days" smell that just seems right.

Kind if like sticking you head into the interior of a 1950 Ford that's been unrestored with mohair fabric...can't mistake the smell and it brings you back to the past (assuming you were around back in those days).

#45 8 years ago

Yeah, it's strange. I have two bowlers in my garage, one from 1957 and the puck bowler for 1953. If I keep the overhead door closed over the weekend, the whole garage smells like those machines. And, if I open the alley up on either one, it radiates within a few hours. That smell won't disappear, and I've grown accustomed to it. Nice vintage and antique smell mixed together.

#48 8 years ago

Bakelite is different, although it stinks when burned, just like phenolic.

Phenolic is light tan or brown, bakelite is black.

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

No.... Phenolic sheet is made with Bakelite resin. And Bakelite is not just black.

I stand corrected. Both materials have the same base odor.

Phenolic is used as an insulator for stepper contacts and also was used extensively for printed circuit material before the glass-epoxy material became the standard. It's also used on all leaf switches as insulation between leaves.

Bakelite was the material of choice for early automotive distributor caps and oven knobs among other items.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramegoom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ems-whats-that-smell?tu=ramegoom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.