(Topic ID: 137025)

EMs: What's that smell?

By Craig

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Apocalypse_Now.jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

No.... Phenolic sheet is made with Bakelite resin. And Bakelite is not just black.

I stand corrected. Both materials have the same base odor.

Phenolic is used as an insulator for stepper contacts and also was used extensively for printed circuit material before the glass-epoxy material became the standard. It's also used on all leaf switches as insulation between leaves.

Bakelite was the material of choice for early automotive distributor caps and oven knobs among other items.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Nothing like that pure EM aroma, particularly from Gottliebs. Ballys have a different aroma. They're more like old electrics and grease. Pleasant and distinctive in it's own way.

I have to say I agree.

The four machines in the basement include

2 Gottliebs
    1 Bally
    1 Williams

They truly all have a distinctive smell, but I can tell the 2 Gottliebs are similar.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have 2 games that have smell of pee in them. I may just stick air fresheners in them! So looks like it's the mice to blame...

It's probably soaked into spots on the inside unpainted wood.

Go to PetSmart and buy a bottle of Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer.

Soak the areas that smell the worst.

The enzymes will he'll eat the urine away.

1 year later
    #54 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Old wiring, wood and ozone. It's intoxicating isn't it?

I've seen ozone mentioned a few places as a smell unique to EMs - what causes that smell?

#55 6 years ago

They smell like old library books to me. Based on that I always assumed it was the wood creating the distinctive smell.

#56 6 years ago

Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars
    Oak tree you're in my way
    There's too much coke and too much smoke
    Look what's going on inside you

Oh that smell
    Can't you smell that smell
    Oh that smell
    The smell of pins surrounds you

Yes, 1973 I'm home again...

#57 6 years ago

Ozone will fade fairly quickly. It's the cloth wire wrap.

#58 6 years ago

To me, certain clean Gottlieb pins from the '60s have that warm woody aroma. Just intoxicating!

#59 6 years ago

Smells like Victory!

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ems-whats-that-smell/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.