New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 160994)

EMs, What if?

By frb

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by frb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How would it effect you”

• Worry about rising popularity and higher prices 2 votes
      5%
    • I might just buy a EM, or two, or three,ect. 3 votes
      8%
    • Love it, make fixing problems easey 25 votes
      66%
    • Hate it, take the challenge out of it 1 vote
      3%
    • Same old boring EMs 7 votes
      18%

(38 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ooooodon_(resized).jpg
    ooodon_(resized).jpg
    uberman_(resized).jpg
    get_a_brain_morans_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

What if an app was developed that took the EM guides to the next level and walked anyone through a troubleshooting path that pointed out to them the relays to adjust and clean. If the app database were large enough all EMs could be covered. A point often raised is that EMs popularity will die off with the inability of older collectors and restorers to keep them running. What if that was taken out of the equation and anyone with a smartphone and a few tools could keep any machine in running order.
    My question is how do you think it would effect the market for games and the hobby.

#2 4 years ago

Anything that demystifies EMs is going to affect the market by raising prices.

#3 4 years ago

Sounds good in concept, but do-it-yourselfers might make the EM worse off if they use the wrong tools, not being able to understand the paperwork (good luck putting Gottlieb schematics on an app without a fee), or using the wrong parts.

Still yet, any type of help to bring these games to life wouldn't hurt

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from frb:

A point often raised is that EMs popularity will die off with the inability of older collectors and restorers to keep them running.

That's why I like to stay young.

And I didn't need a smartphone to figure out how to fix them.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from frb:

What if an app was developed that took the EM guides to the next level and walked anyone through a troubleshooting path that pointed out to them the relays to adjust and clean. If the app database were large enough all EMs could be covered. A point often raised is that EMs popularity will die off with the inability of older collectors and restorers to keep them running. What if that was taken out of the equation and anyone with a smartphone and a few tools could keep any machine in running order.
    My question is how do you think it would effect the market for games and the hobby.

I feel like eventually we're going to hit that point where not as many "completely dead" EM machines will be passed around, meaning most of them would probably have been working within the last few years in a collectors home rather than sitting in a barn since 1978 so rather than it being a deep issue it would be like a light issue.

IMO, it's just easier to hand somebody a schematic and tell them to learn if it ever comes to a point where these forums aren't around which they will likely be for a long time. There's way too many possibilities across many different games with different generations and styles of parts to catch every little issue. A clean EM is a happy EM and at least with these games, there's really nothing that "can't be fixed" and on top of that it's all in front of your face, you just need to find it, and that possibility never goes away. These machines can and will last forever, but on the other hand solid-state games rely on expiring parts that one day will no longer be made. Hopefully the parts are still made for a long time to come, though.

You could make an app that tells you what a particular feature goes through schematic-wise (like, relay AB is activated through score motor switches A1 and B1 and passes through relay YZ) and let them figure out the very little amount of the rest, but I'm not sure how legal that is with the whole copyright thing going on.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And I didn't need a smartphone to figure out how to fix them.

Times 10. Plus those little phone screens are to small.

#7 4 years ago

And about worrying, I tend to worry about nothing. With thirty of these vintage machines now, a value or price increase wouldn't be the end of the world.

#8 4 years ago

You may need a Robot. Screwdrivers have been replaced by generic Allen/Hex keys.

#9 4 years ago

I always thought that a schematic was the app to use to fix a pinball machine.
    Still proud to say that i do not own a "smart" phone,
    and I can still fix games
    or drive to where I am going or
    buy stuff without the need for one or any apps.
    Nor do i feel the need to follow anyone or tweet anything.
    Texting is for woosies.

EMs will live and play on for 100 yrs after I am dead and buried.
    p.s. I pay cash for most everything.

#10 4 years ago

if the "app" can go fix it for me while I lay on the couch I'm in

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from frb:

To out on a limb here, don't think that a lot of Pinsiders would use an app. Others would, most likely use it, but just how many?

#12 4 years ago

I'm old, schematic and a manual for me please.

#13 4 years ago

100% fantasy. Never happens.

#14 4 years ago

Smart phones are for morans. But I do appreciate someone thinking outside the box. Make it happen frb!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Smart phones are for morans.

get_a_brain_morans_(resized).jpg

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

To out on a limb here, don't think that a lot of Pinsiders would use an app. Others would, most likely use it, but just how many?

That's the point of the poll. I was also curious.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Smart phones are for morans.

#18 4 years ago

Hey I tell it like it is, no pc here. Isn't that, 'refreshing'?

#19 4 years ago

I knew a guy named Moran. And he was a moron.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from frb:

I think its a great idea to have an app to help out repairing.

As for how it would affect the market for EM pins, I think people who don't have EMs have either tried them and don't like them or just haven't tried them. I don't think the concern over repairing them is a major factor.

#21 4 years ago

It would be cool to see a full EM circuit diagram running in a SPICE-style simulator. Not sure how useful it would be for actual troubleshooting, but great for understanding how things work.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I always thought that a schematic was the app to use to fix a pinball machine.
    Still proud to say that i do not own a "smart" phone,
    and I can still fix games
    or drive to where I am going or
    buy stuff without the need for one or any apps.
    Nor do i feel the need to follow anyone or tweet anything.

WELL SAID !!!!!

Quoted from Model237:

It would be cool to see a full EM circuit diagram running in a SPICE-style simulator. Not sure how useful it would be for actual troubleshooting, but great for understanding how things work.

Lets let Steve finish his EM SCHOOL. and see where that takes us.
    maybe, we STILL wont need a smart phone!!!

#23 4 years ago

What if.... Superman had been raised in Germany in the years leading up to WWII?

uberman_(resized).jpg

#24 4 years ago

What if........Men lusted for apes

ooodon_(resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from frb:

What if........Men lusted for apes

Humans could catch AIDS

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Humans could catch AIDS

or learn how to use a smartphone

ooooodon_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 55.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Other
    PIN-UPS
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.95
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside