3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Scotty78
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm curious about what people think of putting EMs out on location. For example, do you think manual ball hopper games could work in the 21st century?

#2 3 years ago

Chucky Cheese in Laguna Niguel had an EM a few years back. It played fine and took tokens. Can't remember the title but it had short flippers I think.

#3 3 years ago

I estimate very few people will understand the manual ball hopper procedure.

#4 3 years ago

Having games on location, I see how many people don't even know how to start a game. Another barrier such as as the manual ball serve would make it even worse. I guess you'd make some money on people that put in a quarter and walk away.

I've run a couple EMs from the 70s in my location and they did fine. I'll run more when I come across them as they are very reliable and get a good amount of play.

#5 3 years ago

http://www.pinballnews.com/sites/blairally/index.html

Best pinball spot in Oregon, IMHO
    EM's, SS, good beer, owners are into pinball & it shows. great guys.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty78:

I estimate very few people will understand the manual ball hopper procedure.

The first time I encountered one of these, I wasn't sure what to do at first when the ball didn't pop into the shooter lane on its own. I imagine for someone who never played before would think that the game ate their quarter.

#7 3 years ago

I will be putting one at a location in the next month

#8 3 years ago

Captain Fantastic will be at our location starting today. I'm working on an old Joust, but doubt I will put that one out.

#9 3 years ago

Out of the 40 pins in Lyons Classic Pinball I always have 6 to 7 em's from 60s and 70s. When I have the ball lifter games in, I do have to show folks how to get the ball loaded. But like you have already stated some people dont know to push the flashing start button on the front of the game. Some older games have a "Flipper buttons on side" banner with arrows on the apron. Maybe I would put a sign saying "Push lower plunger to load ball" if I was not going to be around to tell them.

#10 3 years ago

I was wondering about the financial viability of a retro EM arcade, so I ran a quick Pinside survey:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ems-in-the-wild#post-2025073

It looks like Pinsiders, on average, won't pay more than $0.25 per game. Not sure that's enough to make it work. Maybe have an entrance fee with games on freeplay.

Maybe the best option would be hosting in a neighborhood bar or restaurant, with some friendly staff to guide the noobs.

#11 3 years ago

My guests like my EM pins as much as my later DMD pins, in fact new players at my place like the EMs more because the ball does not "disappear" and reappear to drain.

Agreed that no one can find a start button, especially on the EM pins where it looks like a coin return button. I would worry any angry person would bend the ball lifter rod when they thought the machine "ate" their money.

Overall I think you would almost be need to install a large sign on the lockdown bar that points to the start button and flipper buttons. It would not be pretty, but these machine are effectively "new" machines to the public and you will need to put in time educating them.

#12 3 years ago

At Superelectric in Cleveland, there are plenty of EMs out for people to play, and they do get played a whole lot. Sometimes people are confused by the ball lifts, but usually can figure it out pretty quickly. Occasionally a patron will drop a coin and nothing will happen. In this case they tend to press every button on the machine before asking someone for help. One problem I have noticed is people adding credits for additional players without allowing the machine to reset fully first.

#13 3 years ago

I was wondering if it might be possible to add a mod that automates the ball lifter - like a linear motor that pulls the lifter rod from the inside when someone starts a game.

That might make ball lifter games more accessible to normal people.

#14 3 years ago

The SPM has 10 em pins in the line up with a few more planned. Of the 10, 2 are manual ball lift and most of the players don't know about the extra lifter rod. Some days they are all but ignored. Other days they get a ton of love.

#15 3 years ago

EM's always seem to attract newcomers. I think it's the simplistic layout, as mentioned above, the ball doesn't disappear and get shot down the drain, all while trying to divide your attention between the DMD and the dazzling light show on the playfield. And, EM's are just fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    $ 26.50
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 179.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside