(Topic ID: 108506)

EMs in the wild?

By Model237

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What's them ost you pay for one EM credit "in the wild"?”

• 25 cents 28 votes
      62%
    • 50 cents 14 votes
      31%
    • 1 dollar 3 votes
      7%
    • More than a dollar 0 votes

(45 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

I suspect it's already been discussed, but I'm curious if there's a business opportunity reintroducing vintage EMs "into the wild".

I have a good buddy who owns several sit-down restaurants here in Dallas, some awesome burger joints among them. I'm trying to figure out if this could work financially, both for him (hosting the machines) and me (supplying and servicing them).

Here's what I'm pondering:

-I'm not sure how pins would fit into the dining picture. I imagine you'd need a separate space, to keep the pin noise away from diners, and that's space that could otherwise be occupied by paying tables. Not sure the money equation works.

-In another thread, someone mentioned that bowling alleys used to be THE place where families gathered on weekends, and pins made good money because parents would shoo their kids off to play them while they bowled. Would that model still work, but in a restaurant? Do today's parents still shoo their kids off, or is that no longer P.C.? And would kids play pins, or are vintage EMs now exclusively an adult thing (and middle-aged adult at that!)?

-What other venues could work? Restaurant, bar, pub, rec center, retirement home

-If such a place existed, with well-maintained pins, would enough pin enthusiasts show up, regularly?
    (maybe I'll run a poll)

-What would YOU be willing to pay to play? My limit would be $1/credit.

-Can 35+year-old EMs still hold up to public (ab)use?

-How many pins would need to be on site to make it a "destination"? What other amenities would there need to be? Beer, food, etc.

-Would you need a full-time attendant to prevent people from destroying valuable old machines? Like spilling beer in them, cracking rare backglasses, etc.

Would love to get some input from other pinsiders. It sounds like an impossible dream, but there ain't no harm in pondering the question! My best take right now is it would need a semi-eccentric bar/pub owner who loves pins and doesn't care too much about making a lot of money on the deal. Or maybe a full-blown vintage arcade venture with other vintage machines, bowlers, shooters, etc.

Matt

#2 9 years ago

There was an EM at Chucky Cheese in south OC for a while a few years back. I forget which one.

#3 9 years ago

I discovered a Gottlieb Big Hit in a Northwoods pizza place. They actually had a few other pins and arcade games too. I was extremely excited to be on vacation and find an EM to play. That is until I discovered it was extremely neglected and the machine barely played. The good news was it was still on a dime per play so I still chunked a few in it.

#4 9 years ago

I played an EM in a diner my last trip to San Francisco. Was great, seems like a perfect location machine really, way less intimidating than a modern machine for newbs.

It was in a little nook but right by the tables. They had a jukebox playing I think, I can't remember now, but I never felt like the chimes were annoying anyone, I know that.

#5 9 years ago

Tons of EM's @ Blairalley in Eugene, Oregon. Well maintained pins & right behind Ninkasi brewing.
    it does not get any better.
    http://blog.pinballmap.com/2013/10/24/scene-report-eugene-blairalley

Nubule young U of O co-eds to ogle too. Go DUCKS!

#6 9 years ago

Dad's kitchen in sacramento has 3 em there.
    It's a diner in an older part of town.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Model237:

What would YOU be willing to pay to play? My limit would be $1/credit.

I'm still at a nickel.

Quoted from Model237:

-What other venues could work? Restaurant, bar, pub, rec center, retirement home

Retirement home? Perfect! Just make sure 911 is on speed dial. Just kidding. Single EMs used to be everywhere. Donut shops, hardware stores, grocery markets, etc... but except for at the bowling alley and mini golf arcade, it seemed like I was the only one playing them.

I think the perfect venue now is one of those throwback diners with the 57 Chevys and all that. But I wouldn't expect it to be a big money maker.

Quoted from Model237:

Can 35+year-old EMs still hold up to public (ab)use?

My biggest concern is any stuck on playfield switch will cause a score reel solenoid to lock on and smoke.

Quoted from dasvis:

Nubule young U of O co-eds

Now yer talkin!

#8 9 years ago

Added a quick poll. Sorry for the misspelling.

#9 9 years ago

I currently have a Jacks Open out in the wild at 50 cents for 5 Balls. And it does get played. I have had a few others out all placed at 50 cents for 5 balls. But, I have wondered if it would do better or worse at 1 coin 3 balls. But I hate 3 ball rules on Gottlieb Wedge heads as they were designed around 5 ball play.

#10 9 years ago

For most EMs, its easier to put them at 1 coin 1 play by using the left slot (Dime slot in the USA). Putting them on 2 coins per play usually requires the addition of a stepper unit if the game doesn't already support 2 Nickels 1 Play. Or rewiring the 2 Coins 3 Plays stepper relay if it has one.

3 Balls is fine for a Multiplayer game and EM game times are typically much shorter than the later SS games. But its tough to make a Buck at 25 cents a pop. Especially if you are going to split it with the location.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I currently have a Jacks Open out in the wild at 50 cents for 5 Balls.

Hey CJ, where is your Jacks Open? Also I am trying to remember what EM was on location at that CEC down on Moulton. That was probably 10 years ago when my daughter was young.

#12 9 years ago

Jacks is sitting next to Centaur in Carlsbad. It replaced the Retro King of Diamonds a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't know Brett (one of the original owners of the CEC from Lake Forest that moved to Moulton) ran any EMs at all. I know he had a Charlies Angles for a while and then junked it. When he first got involved at the Lake Forest CEC, he had a number of classic Bally SS games. He used to buy many of his pins from the guys that ran all the Sears routes in So Cal back in the day. They were usually pretty clean since they came out of the Hotels in the Anahiem area around Dissy Land. He continued to buy the occasional Pinball for a while and then gave up - I think around Fun House. His techs couldn't keep them running. Can't remember why he added the Charlies Angles. I think he bought it off a customer that wanted to unload it.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I didn't know Brett (one of the original owners of the CEC from Lake Forest that moved to Moulton) ran any EMs at all.

It was set up just to the left of the entrance right next to a pac man machine. It was their only pinball. We went there right when it first changed from Planet Kids to CEC. It was always there even until the last time we went. For some reason I just can't remember the title. It was maybe from the 60s.

#14 9 years ago

I have my Target Alpha in a bar in NH. Gets played a lot. Its the 5 machine I have had here in the wild. As far as cash flow its ok. I do it just to get people interested in machines.

#15 9 years ago

I know a location with 3 pins, two Sys 11's and an EM. The Sys 11's get about 3-4 times the play of the EM. A WPC is going in for one of the Sys 11's next week. Be curious to see if things change much. The EM has been quite reliable. It goes well with the venue but will probably be the next one rotated out.

They are all at a pub with craft beer, pizza, and live music at nights.

#16 9 years ago

OK then. I know it's a *really* small sample, but it looks like most won't pay more than a quarter to play an EM in the wild. Oh well.
    I suspect that could change if you came across a roomful of shiny, restored EMs blinking away at you!

Quoted from clg:

They are all at a pub with craft beer, pizza, and live music at nights.

Love the idea of a pins in a cozy pub, w/craft beer & pizza!

Quoted from o-din:

Model237 said:

Retirement home? Perfect! Just make sure 911 is on speed dial.

My father-in-law said he'd love a few vintage games in his retirement home. Now whether they'd actually use them is another question. Seems to me it would be a cool break from the boredom, A blast from the past FOR SURE.

#17 9 years ago

I'm willing to pay $0.50 for EMs just because I never see them on location, but I probably wouldn't plug away at it for an entire afternoon like I might with a lineup of 90s B/W games. Too pricey for how short the games are.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Model237:

OK then. I know it's a *really* small sample, but it looks like most won't pay more than a quarter to play an EM in the wild. Oh well.

I know I won't. I love EMs, but I just wouldn't pay more than 25 cents. The games are short, I'll sit there and keep pumping quarters in though.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Model237:

My father-in-law said he'd love a few vintage games in his retirement home. Now whether they'd actually use them is another question. Seems to me it would be a cool break from the boredom, A blast from the past FOR SURE.

Just bought a GTB Flying Carpet em in the St. Louie area a couple weeks ago.

Son (55) had bought it for his Dad (passed) who the doctor said needed to stand up more for his circulation. What better than a pin?

#20 9 years ago

Cactus Jack...where at in Carlsbad. I will be in San Diego for 8 or 9 days and Carlsbad was my old stomping grounds for several years. I lived off the Tamarack exit 1995-1998 and Aviara Parkway (La Costa) from 1998-2000.

#21 9 years ago

The SPM has a few on free play with your paid admission.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Just bought a GTB Flying Carpet em in the St. Louie area a couple weeks ago.

Son (55) had bought it for his Dad (passed) who the doctor said needed to stand up more for his circulation. What better than a pin?

Good point! I've got a standing desk at work for similar reasons. Maybe they'll let me replace it with a pin.

#23 9 years ago

Village Arcade in St Peter's Village, PA has nothing but EM pinball and gun games. He's usually only open on the weekends for the tourist traffic that the location brings.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Village Arcade in St Peter's Village, PA has nothing but EM pinball and gun games. He's usually only open on the weekends for the tourest traffic that the location brings.

SWEET

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Cactus Jack...where at in Carlsbad. I will be in San Diego for 8 or 9 days and Carlsbad was my old stomping grounds for several years. I lived off the Tamarack exit 1995-1998 and Aviara Parkway (La Costa) from 1998-2000.

It is at TILT (arcade) in Westfield's Plaza Camino Real. Its right off the 5 fwy right after you get on the 78 (first or second exit).

#26 9 years ago

So it is in the mall. I haven't been in that mall in 15 years. If I am in the area I will check it out and dump some coins in it.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

So it is in the mall. I haven't been in that mall in 15 years. If I am in the area I will check it out and dump some coins in it.

Well, they just built a 24Hr Fitness Super store at the end with the empty major. And begining next year, they are going to rip the roof off the entire mall and make it open air.

#28 9 years ago

I'd love to toss one of my EMs on location here locally but nobody here has said "yes" so far

#29 9 years ago

Cactusjack, do they still have that goofy big mousetrap clock? I almost made it to Carlsbad today but stayed around inland around Carmel Mountain. I will make it there in a few days since my favorite Chinese place is in Carlsbad. (Overseas Restaurant)

#30 9 years ago

I have only been here 5 years and I am not aware of a mouse clock. Just like fountains, some of the coolest features about some places get dumped due to excessive labor to keep them going.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ems-in-the-wild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.