You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EA sports.JPG
image-531.jpg
image-936.jpg
image-995.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cruzin1a.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 10 years ago

Agreed, very glad you found the issue. I think the Faces machine looks great!

1 week later
#46 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Another problem I have seen by using LEDs in an EM game is what I believe to be caused by induced current. If you see an EM where someone has replaced all the lamps in the backglass with LEDs, you can see various non-lit LEDs flash very briefly when various things are happening in the game (like scoring etc.) Unlike an Incandescent bulb, LEDs can light extremely fast, and, as described above, can light with very low voltage and current. When a wire has to pass current, it actually creates a small magnetic field around it. The more current it passes, the greater the magnetic field. If you lay another wire parrallel to the first wire, the current in the first wire will induce voltage in the second (The basic principle of how an air transformer works). So, by turning on a coil in a EMs head you induce voltage in the lamp wires (like Ball in Play, match lights, Game Over) which are laying parrallel to them in the wire loom. And you get faint little random flashes of light in some, if not all of the feature lamps. This may not be very noticeable down at the PF, and also not by the person playing the game (except maybe during bonus collect). But its easy to see by on-lookers.

I think this may be the flicker I see in my bonus multiplier rollovers. When not lit they flicker in sync with any activity in the machine including the flippers. The rest of the non GI activated lights in the playfield do not do this when they are not illuminated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cruzin1a.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ems-and-leds?tu=cruzin1a and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.