Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I stopped by a couple times in the last week and looked through the window and all of the arcade games and pinball machines were gone. There is a note on the window saying closed for a couple days for renovation. I know this place is never busy but was curious if anyone knew what was going on with the location.

#2 7 years ago

Whenever a bar, or restaurant closes, and there is a note saying remodeling or renovations, it usually means it's not coming back. That would suck as the weren't there very long. I liked it a lot the couple times I went there, but should have gone more often to try and support them. That location may not be workable with the demographics in the area. Not enough residential close by, and lots of competition on that corner. Theaters, and several restaurants, right there might have been too much. Perhaps if they offered a decent menu of food instead of just Pizza, they might have made it. Who knows, maybe they will rework it and make another stab at it... Hope they do! They have two other locations in north side Chicago that get a lot of business. Locations in the burbs its tough...

#3 7 years ago

It's closed and not coming back. Had a friend that worked there. The employees didn't see it coming either from what I was told. Too bad as you never want to see that happen.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Whenever a bar, or restaurant closes, and there is a note saying remodeling or renovations, it usually means it's not coming back. That would suck as the weren't there very long. I liked it a lot the couple times I went there, but should have gone more often to try and support them. That location may not be workable with the demographics in the area. Not enough residential close by, and lots of competition on that corner. Theaters, and several restaurants, right there might have been too much. Perhaps if they offered a decent menu of food instead of just Pizza, they might have made it. Who knows, maybe they will rework it and make another stab at it... Hope they do! They have two other locations in north side Chicago that get a lot of business. Locations in the burbs its tough...

they did have more then just pizza.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

they did have more then just pizza.

I went there several times and only Pizza, I asked and they said they weren't planning on anything else.
    They did have a nice bar setup with loads of micro brews but no other menu choices for food.
    They did allow outside food I think so maybe that's what you saw...

#6 7 years ago

They had recently added a few more food options.

This is unfortunate news. I really liked the place, and it was only 15 minutes from my house.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They had recently added a few more food options.
    This is unfortunate news. I really liked the place, and it was only 15 minutes from my house.

Ok, I didn't know, sorry Joe didn't hear about the new food items. Still Bumming about losing this fun place though...
    Now I need to go to Tokens and Tankards in Mt. Prospect, maybe even closer than Emporium was...
    Down to Logan Hardware and Emporiums in Chicago too. Great to have more locations though but hope this isn't a down trend...

#8 7 years ago

I'm worried this will happen to Chicago Street Pinball Arcade in Joliet. The kids and I love going there but it is hard to get out there on any day besides Sunday for us. Throw in my horrible work schedule and family functions and we don't get out there often enough.

#9 7 years ago

Johnny Carson made several references to the familiar "Closed for Remodeling" signs on The Tonight Show.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Ok, I didn't know, sorry Joe didn't hear about the new food items. Still Bumming about losing this fun place though...
    Now I need to go to Tokens and Tankards in Mt. Prospect, maybe even closer than Emporium was...

They are ok last time I was there a lot of the games needed work also not a lot of parking More open up after 6PM

#11 7 years ago

Bummer, i was hoping for the best. I went there 5 or 6 times and every time I've been there it's been dead unfortunately.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Bummer, i was hoping for the best. I went there 5 or 6 times and every time I've been there it's been dead unfortunately.

Yeah, as sad as I am to see the place close, it's certainly not a shock. The space was nearly 10,000 square feet. That's an awful big rent to cover each month. It's one thing when you have an endless supply of millennials and hipsters in the city, but the burbs just doesn't have that kind of a crowd. I think they made a mistake by not immediately going after the family market. They eventually decided to let in kids before 9PM, but it was too little too late. It also didn't help that their grand opening was in the middle of winter.

#13 7 years ago

I'm sorry to hear this but had my reservations from the get go if it would succeed.

I didnt go that often but it wasn't very crowded when I did.
    I went to the pin league first time out.
    Tried it again just didnt work out I got there too late.

#14 7 years ago

Emporium never invested enough into good pinball machines. I tend to favor HQ and Logan because they have good titles

#15 7 years ago

That's a bummer.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Emporium never invested enough into good pinball machines. I tend to favor HQ and Logan because they have good titles

Emporium has new stern games. How good is the upkeep at HQ?

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Emporium has new stern games. How good is the upkeep at HQ?

Yeah, HQ is on free play so they get the heck played out of them. I it very common for games there to have issues of some sort. That's why I like Logan the best, their machines are pay to play and therefore they keep them maintained better for sure.

#18 7 years ago

and Logan has free street parking nearby as well. Emporium has some free after 6PM parking near by as well. But the city will get you if you park a little bit past the sign and the roads are in poor shape as well.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and Logan has free street parking nearby as well. Emporium has some free after 6PM parking near by as well. But the city will get you if you park a little bit past the sign and the roads are in poor shape as well.

I walk from the Western Blue Line Station, it's only about 10 blocks. I live in the city when I am here, usually Monday to Thursdays

#20 7 years ago

I've still never been to Logan. Now that I work from home, I just rarely get into the city these days. The place looks really nice in the photos.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That's an awful big rent to cover each month.

That will kill a lot of businesses.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've still never been to Logan. Now that I work from home, I just rarely get into the city these days. The place looks really nice in the photos.

It's nice it's just that both 90/94 suck on weekdays going in any where from 3:00-3:30 PM to about 7:00 PM Even weekends can suck as well That is why I don't go to the city as much. You can take the trains if you are willing to take a few transfers or are willing to drive to the blue line paying to park and then pay for the train.

Metra can have you waiting up to an hour for the next train off peek

also even I-290 is just as bad and way out of the way.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Dude logan is the bomb! You gotta make it over there.

#24 7 years ago

I agree Logan's is great!

Sucks about this place though I have to say I saw this coming from day one. Just not a good location being in a suburban strip mall with what I'm assuming is high rent. Not all suburbs are a kiss of death though, maybe if they could have opened a bar like this in a place like downtown Naperville it would do well. It's always packed down there at all the bars.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

I agree Logan's is great!
    Sucks about this place though I have to say I saw this coming from day one. Just not a good location being in a suburban strip mall with what I'm assuming is high rent. Not all suburbs are a kiss of death though, maybe if they could have opened a bar like this in a place like downtown Naperville it would do well. It's always packed down there at all the bars.

Ive considered dt nape but the rent there is crazy too.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveD:

I'm worried this will happen to Chicago Street Pinball Arcade in Joliet. The kids and I love going there but it is hard to get out there on any day besides Sunday for us. Throw in my horrible work schedule and family functions and we don't get out there often enough.

There is good reason to worry.

We have had very little business since the weather turned warm in May.

Despite promotions and coupons, flyers, etc., it seems we can't get anyone to come in. It doesn't matter if it's 96 degrees and humid, and that it's 69 and dry in the arcade, either. We have tried multiple angles on many things.

Pinside/RGP/collectors/"enthusiasts"/tournament players are not our primary audience/customers, I would say less than 10%. But still, it's nice when you guys do show up every once in a while.

We're not kidding ourselves, we need alcohol to make the arcade a profitable business. Yes, there are locations where it's possible to be profitable without it, but generally those are touristy/resort type towns.

There has been a ton of drama behind the scenes, with the city, state, and contractors doing work (or not doing it) and more stuff I won't even get into. After two years of this, I have just about had it. All of the meager profits from the arcade and my route downstate in Champaign have been reinvested into the business. I haven't made a dime. But that has to change, and very soon.

We've done things the smart way, though. Start out in a small space, with mainly existing equipment, and a killer deal on rent. Have a minimal staff (yours truly and a part time local person) and do most of the work yourself. I am fortunate to have a few friends help me with upkeep and major repairs, but I do the majority of the maintenance of the 47 machines on my own.

Want a place to play pinball where your kids are welcome? It's here. We actually have a decent following of people that come from Chicago and other places, where there aren't any locations to play pinball that aren't 21+.

As for the requests we get to move to Naperville, Plainfield, etc...no thank you. Those places are just too "white bread" for me, not to mention the prohibitive costs to purchase or rent anything sizeable there.

We've been able to survive by being small and sensible. We had a very good six months, November-April. But the arcade cannot be a seasonal business, and closed May-October. As it is, we'll likely be reducing our hours/days, soon. Whatever it takes to stay open, in the interim. But for how long?

Wow, this post is too long.

-Mark

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

As for the requests we get to move to Naperville, Plainfield, etc...no thank you. Those places are just too "white bread" for me

Wow, really?

Thankfully, the only time I have to go slumming down to Joliet is for jury duty.

#28 7 years ago

Yeah I think you guys really need alcohol to have a chance. Those of us who have gone to Chicago Street Pinball several times know it's ok around the area but those who have not I'm sure aren't jumping to go to Joliet. When you first opened my first thought was "oh no I don't want to go down there" which I'm sure would be many people's thoughts. You might not like places like Naperville but at least it isn't a virtual ghost town like Joliet is. Hopefully that turns around at some point.

And yes....I'm sure Naperville is real expensive on rent with the popularity it has.

#29 7 years ago

i'm curious where the pins from emporium went? Back to whoever they bought them from? Transferred to one of the other emporiums? The website said one is opening soon in nashville, TN

#30 7 years ago

The owners went back in and took the pins and arcades. Not sure what their plans are for them.

#31 7 years ago

I've been to both HQ River North and Logan's while in Chicago for work. Both are excellent.

HQ is the business model all beercades should emulate. All top pinballs on free play. All the classic arcades. Super Chexx! Steam punk environment. Craft beer and unique dishes on the menu.

Logan's is for the purist at heart and they have what will be all the rage in the coming months and years...Killer Queen-a ten player head to head arcade battle.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

The owners went back in and took the pins and arcades. Not sure what their plans are for them.

Stern owned some of the games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/emporium-lincolnshire-closed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.