(Topic ID: 321365)

Employment issues and work ethic 8-2022.

By gdonovan

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
csx_45 (resized).jpg
reliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpg
92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg
house2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gif
20220905_095248 (resized).jpg
20220905_094413 (resized).jpg
20220905_111154 (resized).jpg
20220905_074639 (resized).jpg
28FCF865-9C01-461C-BBA3-DD26B47B92D5.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
B34ED7A8-3A80-4C9F-BCCF-54A8A6D42D9C (resized).jpeg
384743F5-135C-4008-B71A-26D857E1CDA4.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

One of my own sons included. He has no particular desire to work, just makes enough to pay his rent and hang out with friends.

The horror! He just wants to live life and be happy and he only works “enough” to do that?

What’s wrong with kids these days? It’s almost like they have this delusion that work is a necessary part of life, but isn’t what they should build their lives around. Very strange.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

It’s just staggering that $15/hr plus tips for an entry level, no qualifications fast food job doesn’t make you shut up and do your job nowadays.

It might be no qualifications, but it is still a shit job that most people don’t want. I’m you want people to do shit jobs instead of better jobs, pay them more to do it, give them better and more reliable hours, give them benefits. It’s not hard, it just means sacrificing profits.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

He has desires but wants others to pay for them.
Not realistic.

We all have desires, but are they worth the trouble. Sounds like to him they aren’t right now. And if he can get other people to pay for it, that’s on them.

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from billyboy:

I’m a parent of a 16 year old daughter and have her working now to prepare her for financial independence down the road. I don’t want that to be my responsibility in the future.

Please tell me this is just poorly worded and she chose to work for extra money or for something she wants to buy. She has 50 years to work for financial independence. She’s a child and definitely doesn’t need adulthood forced on her yet.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Having a child work early and teaching them the value of a dollar is a critical life lesson and skill I would applaud. My 10 year old has jobs every week he does for extra money. Now, he's only earning enough to buy baseball cards and comics (what year is this?) and payments are kept purposefully low, but he is learning. My kids want for nothing, but there are things that I could easily buy for them that I don't so they can earn them themselves. I worked as a kid at my parents amusement park. I'm glad my parents put me to work and am doing the same with my kids.

I have no problem with kids earning money for frivolous, fun things. Having fun and being kids. But the way it was worded sounded far more serious.

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I've worked at the same job for the last 31 years. I've been working seven days a week for the past six years straight just to make ends meet.

If that’s the expected work and pay I wouldn’t put in any effort either. That’s way beyond unreasonable for a job.

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I'm a store manager for a heavy duty truck parts and this store sells 8.8 million per year in parts. No one is interested in learning a trade. We are paying 50k a year to start and 13 days of paid vacation and we are a associate owned company. Our ESOP stock is 746.00 per share. I struggle to find anyone interested in learning a skill. I wonder how this country is going to function with the lack of interest skilled labor jobs.

Obviously it’s more complex than simple math, but for about $1000 in wages you could offer another week of vacation. It blows my mind how cheap it is to offer more vacation to make employees happy, but in America we just don’t do it.

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

During the pandemic these companies sent all the employees home to work ....big mistake... they got twice as lazy as they already were, and once the company wanted them to return, they just said " Nah I'm Good, my husband or wife makes enough for us to live, now I can lay out all day by the pool and take the dog out whenever they want

If a couple can live on one income, what’s wrong with that? The distain in this thread for being happy not spending their lives working is as incredible as it is predictable.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Not talking about a couple living on one income, was talking about how the work force, after being sent home to work, never wanted to come back, thus making it difficult to find workers ....

Why would anyone *want* to go back? If people found they can live happily without that job, it’s up to the job to give them a reason. It’s simple economics, if you want my services, you need to incentivize me enough to get them. Companies aren’t entitled to have employees, regardless of the fact that employers seem to think they are.

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

Many worked from home and were more productive than ever. They were told they had to come back to the office, and realized they’d rather pass than have to deal with the cost and hassle of getting to an office that is often not conducive to productivity.

I worked for a company for 10 years, wasn’t unhappy. Covid hit and we all started working from home. My work never diminished, had nothing but praise in my reviews. Eventually they wanted us to go back to the office. I was far happier working from home. It became a sticking point, so I left. Immediately found a new job that was 100% remote and got a good pay bump. I was definitely not alone in doing that.

I have no idea if people there complained about not being able to find people to work or lazy employees just wanting to sit home in their pajamas or whatever, but if any of them did, it would be a ridiculous complaint. Stubbornness is what cost them, not laziness.

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I guess its all in your work ethic and what you want out of life. I'm proud to look back at what I have to show for it, where as these kids that want everything handed to them will never have anything more to show for what they've done in there life then what they have right now. Yeah I don't want to work seven days a week, I mean who does right? I don't have to work that much and could put 40 hours in (or even less by the company standards...) and its not expected of me but I just do it since the OT money is to hard to pass up. BUT, it's the only way to get ahead in life and I'm not about to go someplace else and start all over again. To each his own right? So glad my parents brought me up right!!
John

But you have no idea what their futures look like or what their lives look like right now. You are judging them based on your metrics, when theirs may well be completely different.

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

I'm going to keep this going , because it's fun and hits nerves.... I'd much rather go to a job, interact with people from the outside world (smart or dumb) and talk about issues, and current events, than to sit in a room at home for 8-10 hrs a day, doing the same work as you would if you were actually at work..... Iv'e been with the same employment for 28 years, and love every bit of it, because I'm getting out of the house and seeing what a crazy world we actually live in....

That’s fine. But you realize that is your personal preference and not the preference of everyone right? Many people are very happy to “sit in a room at home” 8 hours a day and be even happier with their other 16 hours?

Hold on, I’m going to leave the room I sit in all day and go play a couple games of pinball. Have fun talking to Staci in accounting on your break or whatever.

#243 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No it doesn’t - because this behavior is not bound to low paying jobs.

Just because it pays well doesn’t mean the job isn’t shit.

#252 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

All the people that suggest it’s because of crap pay etc. most of the kids that get fired for ncns etc at my wife’s work don’t have another job lined up. People are not defecting to better jobs… thry just keep getting fired and expect thry can get another.
It’s not a plan for upward movement… it’s simple lackadaisical attitude towards responsibility.

Or they are realizing that in the current environment their labor is quite valuable and they can prioritize enjoying their life over settling for a job they don’t like. It won’t be like that forever, but right now it is and they are taking advantage of it. They are clearly making enough to be comfortable. Just because they aren’t doing what you did doesn’t mean it is wrong.

#256 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

FYI; we don't live in a capitalistic society, we have.. overlords who pick winners and losers.

Well damn. If that’s the case, doesn’t that mean your struggling boss was picked as a loser and your seemingly happy son was picked as a winner?

#261 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

What did my son win? A life of drunkenness?
Going to be a lot more losers before this is all said and done.

I’m just trying to make sense of who gets picked as winners and losers. If it isn’t based in capitalism, what metric is being used by these “overlords”?

#281 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So what’s the excuse when the job isn’t shit?
It’s not just bad employers struggling to get good help. Are you involved at all with trying to staff new hire positions?

The basic reality is the vast majority of jobs are shit when you get right down to it. And other than a small handful of people who make it a point of pride, most people have no interest in work being their purpose in life. The basic point of this thread is correct, people don’t want to work. We work because we have to, that’s the society we live in. But if we had a way to live comfortably without it, we wouldn’t go to work.

Companies are still in the mindset of thinking that offering the job is the gracious part and employees should be happy to be employed. That’s not the way the labor market is right now. Companies are offering people something they inherently do not want; the pay, benefits, hours, work environment, etc is what makes them take the job they don’t and stay there. If they aren’t taking it or staying, the company isn’t offering enough.

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So what’s the excuse when the job isn’t shit?
It’s not just bad employers struggling to get good help. Are you involved at all with trying to staff new hire positions?

And yes, I’m involved in interviewing and leading people at my job. It’s a very competitive industry where most people can have multiple job offers any time they want. The key to keeping people is all the things I listed before. It’s impossible to keep everyone obviously, but if you listen to what people want and provide it to them, many good people stay.

#290 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Taking advantage to do what?
This isn’t a slick move to maximize pleasure. They are trying to get a job again somewhere else right away.
They are kids living at home who are actively seeking work but can’t keep a steady job because they are shit employees. Then whine about the job that had the nerve to fire them for NCNS repeatedly

Maybe they decided the night before they’d rather enjoy life with their friends, doing whatever experience they were doing. When they made the decision to miss work, it’s because they realized the job they had wasn’t in any significant way different or better than another job they could go get so they didn’t care if they lost it. The job didn’t give them a good enough reason to show up and they have other options.

Again, economics. Just like if you want someone to buy your product you have to demonstrate why it is better than similar products. If you want people to work for you, you have to show them why they should. If you can’t do that, you have to be happy with what you can get. Or go out of business I guess, no one is forcing you to run a business.

#359 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

By your own logic … it doesn’t matter what you offer… they don’t want to work.
The real difference is they aren’t willing to do what it takes, they want it given to them. None of us WANT to work for other people inherently. We do it because we know its an means to an end. We know to get what we want, we may have to do some things, make some sacrifices, and be a good enough human to get the things we want.
The pay or benefits isn’t what motivates someone to have the responsibility to own the consequences of their actions or not.

Yeah, they don’t want to work. There is a need to work, but that’ll only go so far with any particular job. That’s the reality of the work force. You can complain about it, but that doesn’t change it. So…if you don’t like that aspect of your job, maybe you should quit.

#365 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

That’s kind of apples to oranges. Think more of you’re in a band playing a show. The gig pays you as a musician $500 that night. But you also have to pay your merch girl that sat at the table and guarded your t-shirts and buttons, and your roadie the exact same as you however the venue can’t give the band more money than what was already agreed to. Of course you’re not gonna quit being a musician but that news is going to fuck with you mentally before you get on stage. You wrote the songs, started the band, got the show, drew the crowd, and have to go perform. Enjoy busting your ass for $500 because your buddy that agreed to help you for $50 tonight now gets the same as you and all he’s doing is setting up a drum kit and getting drunk while you work.

The thing is, it shouldn’t matter. If you are happy with the $500 you make playing the gig and $500 is what you would get playing a gig at a similar place, what difference does it make what everyone else makes? Take ego out of it, if it doesn’t affect what you make, why does it matter?

#451 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

There's plenty of places to go for those who want to live under that type of system. I don't see anybody leaving. Quite the opposite!

Have you ever looked into the requirements to actually emigrate to country that is actually well run? It takes a job and or money.

#460 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

So you're saying "well run" countries have policies in place, and regulations to keep out undesirables? Hmm!

Other countries that also weren’t built on premise of welcoming immigrants, other countries that aren’t the richest most powerful country in the world, and other countries that are t constantly bitching that people don’t want to do the jobs they do want to do.

But none of that matters because immigration is far more complicated and than looking down on “undesirables”.

#462 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My assistant is being trained by me to take over my job, he already makes 2/3 of what I make despite only being on the job 2 years. He hustles and is trainable.
There is opportunities, how many people bother to take them? This isn't an age restricted observation.

That’s literally one opportunity out of millions of people. I know some people ready for work, can they also be assistants to take over your business? Do you have millions of opportunities available? You complain about people wanting to get rich being influencers and how rare that is, do you understand how rare it is to be able to be trained and take over a successful job/business? You may think it’s not because that’s what you do, but there aren’t that many opportunities like that.

AND there’s a decent chance this opportunity is only there for him because your son isn’t good enough. Family is generally given the first chance and things like that.

#485 1 year ago

I've got 4 degrees. I worked my way through school during the first one, and my Post 9-11 GI bill I got for serving 5 years in the USMC paid for the other 3. My whole issue with student loan forgiveness isn't "what about me". Its that I'm the one paying the other persons student loan... even the one who went to school to take "Native American Flute" with no prospect of ever using that degree. How many "women's studies" majors are there out there paying off a student loan for a degree whose price is hard to justify. Also, how is this going to fix the cost of tuition? Isn't this just going to make things worse?

Dude. Taxpayers paid for THREE of your degrees! Maybe sit this one out.

#493 1 year ago

Yes... Taxpayers paid for 3 of my degrees... as part of my compensation package for 5 years of my life. Compensation promised as a reward for giving up five years of my life. Don't feel guilty in the slightest for that one.
The military offers student loan forgiveness for service. A few of my Marines used that... You know... working for school?

I just love the hypocrisy of military people complaining about government programs and taxpayers paying for other people when their whole livelihoods are paid by taxpayers. It’s a huge chunk of our federal budget and involves massive government waste, but somehow it doesn’t count when it applies to them.

#496 1 year ago

One of my degrees was for my own education and my own fun. My most recent degree was a History degree which (other than practicing writing) isn't going to do anything for my career.

Now you are bragging about getting useless degrees that we had to pay for. You understand that right?

#504 1 year ago

Two points on this.
1. I used benefits I earned to pay for the degree.
2. I never would have gotten this degree if it wasn't free.
If number 2 is true... how many more people would get degrees they didn't need if they were free?

The degree wasn’t free! It was paid for, it was paid for by us! You complain about rising cost of tuitions because people are taking degrees that aren’t needed, that’s literally what you did, multiple times! It doesn’t matter if you think you earned it, it’s still a degree that was paid for that wasn’t needed.

#507 1 year ago

The plain fact is defense spending is a huge part of our budget and we spend excessively more on defense than every other country in the world. That in itself is a waste. Maybe your department didn’t have excessive money, but excessive money goes to defense and the military. You work for the defense department which is the biggest waster of government money. It’s money we don’t need to spend, but it’s money we do spend. It’s money we pay for ships and planes and tanks and personnel and whatever else that we don’t actually need. We have massive amounts of all of these things that we don’t need, we’ve just built ourselves up into thinking we do. It’s literally called the military industry complex, everyone knows about it.

It’s not an attack on service members or what they’ve done, it’s just a fact that our military is a massive strain on our budget. And it is hypocritical for someone who benefits from that to complain about other government spending. Taxpayers don’t want to spend trillions on the military either, but that’s how it is.

#510 1 year ago

This is the hypocrisy I’m talking about. You look at yourself as different from others, even though you do the same things. It’s not about your service, it’s about your use of government spending.

You served in the Marines, and you were given benefits to pay for a degree. That’s all fine. It even let you get multiple degrees, that’s also fine. But then you complain about other people getting degrees they don’t need, when you’re literally getting degrees you don’t need. Yes it’s a benefit offered to you, but not a benefit you have to take. You didn’t have to spend our money on a useless history degree but you did it anyway and contributed in a small way to the cost of rising tuition. I don’t understand how you don’t see the hypocrisy there.

#518 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Silly soldier. Imagine you thinking that risking your life in service is worth some type of compensation. How can you be so oblivious not realizing the real heroes are home playing Minecraft.
Of course they deserve the same free tuition as you..
This thread has officially jumped the shark.

Ok, One last time it’s not about the soldiers or being compensated for their service. But at the root of it in joining the military is taking advantage of a government program. It can be a high risk government program, but it’s a government program nonetheless. You work for us for X amount of years and we give you Y benefits.

My problem isn’t with taking advantage of the government program, it’s with complaining that other people take advantage of different government programs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/employment-issues-amp-work-ethic-8-2022-?tu=porkcarrot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.