(Topic ID: 321365)

Employment issues and work ethic 8-2022.

By gdonovan

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
csx_45 (resized).jpg
reliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpg
92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg
house2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gif
20220905_095248 (resized).jpg
20220905_094413 (resized).jpg
20220905_111154 (resized).jpg
20220905_074639 (resized).jpg
28FCF865-9C01-461C-BBA3-DD26B47B92D5.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
B34ED7A8-3A80-4C9F-BCCF-54A8A6D42D9C (resized).jpeg
384743F5-135C-4008-B71A-26D857E1CDA4.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nwpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#364 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

It’s hilarious how the people who raised the kids are constantly complaining about how the kids turned out.

I didn't raise kids, but my staff hire, train and oversee about 25 employees in the 18-22 year age range and have done so for the past 20ish years. The newer generation of kids are smarter and work harder than the past couple generations for the most part and certainly care more about the world and making it better than the kids of the 90s, 00s, and 10s. You always have to mentor and work with the slackers to either bring them around or let them go, that's always been the case throughout the generations. Often it's their first or second job, they have to learn what's expected of them, learn what work life is like and frankly that's on their managers/supervisors just as much as it's on them.

Old people always complain about the younger generations, that's a given. And I think in general what's changed in the United States over the past 4 or 5 years is old people now complain constantly about everything and need to mind their own fucking business if it isn't having and impact on their life of job. The current kids will do just fine.

#367 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

That’s kind of apples to oranges. Think more of you’re in a band playing a show. The gig pays you as a musician $500 that night. But you also have to pay your merch girl that sat at the table and guarded your t-shirts and buttons, and your roadie the exact same as you however the venue can’t give the band more money than what was already agreed to. Of course you’re not gonna quit being a musician but that news is going to fuck with you mentally before you get on stage. You wrote the songs, started the band, got the show, drew the crowd, and have to go perform. Enjoy busting your ass for $500 because your buddy that agreed to help you for $50 tonight now gets the same as you and all he’s doing is setting up a drum kit and getting drunk while you work.

I know a lot of people in bands, no one making $500 a gig is paying a roadie and merch person, they are hauling their own gear and talking a friend or partner into slinging merch that night. And realistically the band is being paid $200.

#372 1 year ago
Quoted from GregCon:

"Hard to blame the youth on how they act, what do they have to look forward to?"
That's such an erroneous view. Things have NEVER been better for youth...aside from the downsides of parasitism and the internet and the cell phone. Never in all of history have young people had it so easy - you are aware that 100 year ago you were working when you hit 14 years of age? Kids have all sorts of options and live like kings these days. TV's, electronics, fancy shoes, it goes on and on.
Your use of the meaningless term 'living wage' also shows your lack of insight. Here's a tip - who ever said a teacher SHOULD earn a 'living wage'? Moreover...they do earn a living wage. Just not one that will buy a new split level 4/3 and a Tahoe with nav. The arrogance.
And your nonsense about the planet's riches being used up is gibberish. Pure nonsense. The planet will be long after everyone here is dead, and for hundreds of years after.

How to say you are an out of touch old person without directly saying you are an out of touch old person. Apparently you don't understand inflation.

#527 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Exactly, the boomers gave themselves every opportunity in the world, and ruined it for future generations and then tell them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

This needs to be said again and again to every boomer that complains about the kids these days.

#668 1 year ago

My work employs 25-30 college kids at any given time, they are 18-22 years old. Honestly, they have better attendance and job performance now than the kids 10 or 20 years ago, for us the new generation are better employees. We also have a min wage of $17, so we expect a lot out of them and it's clearly communicated in their onboarding and training. We run a tight ship with clear expectations and constant mentoring and communication with our staff.

The biggest change I've seen over the past few decades is the younger generation doesn't stay in the job as long. They are happy to jump ship if they find a better position, higher pay, or another opportunity. They are better at advocating for themselves and following the path they want and have less dedication to their employer. I wish I was like that when I was younger.

#678 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Isn't that only minimum wage in Seattle?
In VA the min wage is $11 and the jobs my wife hires for pay $15-17 an hour for the brand new part-timers. They can get full time roles at higher rates as well, including benefits, PTO, 401k, predictable schedules, etc. These are all customer facing jobs where they don't need prior experience, just be good with kids and the public.. the rest is covered in paid training. $500+ signing bonuses. No need to sweat in a kitchen, clean tables, mop floors, or do any heavy labor. It's teach kids in a small group a well established curriculum you are trained in. Easy part-time job for anyone from HS students, to college kids, to part-time moms.
You'd be amazed at how many times employees no show over excuses "oh my family went on vacation and I couldn't come in". We even have moms call in for their grown adult child telling the manager why their kid can't report for their shift because they had other plans. A freaking ADULT has their mom call in like he's getting an absence from gym class.
All have to work a Sunday or Saturday shift typically... and guess what shifts get the most NCNSs...

Yes, min wage in Seattle for employers with over 500 employees is $17.25. Our min wage employees always call in when they are sick or can't come in. Sure, occasionally one doesn't, they get a written warning and their supervisor has a discussion with them. They are fired by the 2nd or 3rd instance, this very rarely happens. Our employees are so much better at calling in now than the kids 20 years ago or even 10 years ago, so it's weird for me to hear that other people have a different experience. I wonder if this is a regional thing or a training/supervision thing, rather than a generational thing? Or maybe we are just lucky and hire well.

#724 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Some but not all of my favorite Restaurants have posted in the front door area a sign that reads due to the increase in minimum wage we are adding a 3.5 % surcharge to your bill.This coupled with Tips no longer being something you earn but now expected are making Dining out more difficult to afford.I have always been a decent tipper but When I was in the business It was something earned not just because you show up but by doing a good job.

Most food prices here dining out have doubled since pre-pandemic, I just eat out less. I still always tip and you won't find me bitching about tipping, these people worked all through the pandemic and were hurt badly by it, I appreciate their work.

#726 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A lame way to try to paint a picture of blame by that employer. If you need to raise prices, raise prices. This surcharge angle is just posturing to try to pass blame to those pushing wages up.

Yeah, anytime an employer is publicly blaming having to pay their employees more to customer, I'm never going back. That's unethical and jerky behavior. Raising your prices to cover your costs is completely normal in capitalism, blaming your employees is a sign of bad ownership/management.

There was a restaurant/bar owner out by my cabin in rural Washington that whined to my girlfriend and I for 20 minutes about having to pay his staff more because the minimum wage had gone up. I told him point blank I was never coming back because he was blaming his employees. The place went out of business within a year, it turns out the staff and entire community got sick of the dude yapping at them about it.

#727 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

A lot of places were shut down by the state and are dead, they are not coming back.

Huh, I didn't realize states shut any places down. There was a brief moment when our restaurants closed for inside dining, but I really love the innovation that came out of it with ramped up to go services and massive building of outside dining. There are so many more bars and restaurants I can take my dog with me to now!

#736 1 year ago

Sadly most small businesses fail, especially bars and restaurants. I've had a number of friends open them and most of them have failed. Those that didn't were smart, they took over existing spaces and didn't have to spend a lot up front on build out and they had experience owning or managing similar businesses ahead of time. One friend wanted to open a bar/restaurant with no experience did it the right way, he went to work at a bigger local place for 2 years to learn bartending, how the kitchen ran, what worked and what didn't. After he felt like he knew the ins and outs of running a bar, he bought a local one and took over and made it quite successful.

#784 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I never used to tip when picking up carry-out, I started during the pandemic and have continued.

Me too. For a few months local restaurants could only do carry out and I was happy to help keep them and their employees afloat and started tipping 20% and carryout. I've dropped that back down to 10-15% now that restaurants have returned to normal, but I still plan on tipping for carry out going forwards.

#785 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

In every other country they make less money both on average and at the top scales.
This is more than balanced out by better publicly funded benefits like single payer healthcare and better mass transit that we don’t have.
So, you’re comparing apples to oranges.

Exactly, they don't normally tip in Europe, but servers in Europe get free healthcare, free college, have way better mass transit so they don't buy cars and auto insurance, and they get more paid sick and vacation leave. American restaurant staff have a lot more to pay for out of their pocket. Health care in particular, the reason why most of us work for years or decades longer than we want to before retiring is because our healthcare is so damn expensive.

#821 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

As someone working in healthcare I'm against this.
Anything touched by the state turns to crap, the money sticks to their fingers.
It benefits them, not you.

Ah yes, because the healthcare industry isn't crappy and completely overpriced, benefitting seedy corporate healthcare companies and their investors over the healthcare of their clients. I wait weeks to months to get an appointment now, have much higher copays and billing, and the level of care has dropped dramatically over the past decade. The healthcare industry in America is broken and overpriced.

#848 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

How much is wasted on lawyers, insurance, government regulations, waste, reporting requirements? The list is about endless.
I throw away thousands of dollars of medical bandages & supplies because "they are expired" we are not allowed to donate unused medications to other residents or even have them shipped overseas to be used "per regulation"
I destroyed an easy $100k worth of drugs last week cleaning out medication storage. per regulation. State don't care.
And yet when i was a teen, my parents paid cash for my healthcare. Huh.

These are hardly the biggest problems with the healthcare industry in the U.S. and I see you making alot of excuses for an industry that has made record profits off of the American people while their services have declined, life expectancy has declined, and prices for healthcare have climbed astronomically. Most of the regulations that are in place are because these companies were using shoddy, expired products and making people sick for so long the people demanded government step in a regulate them. Part of government's job is to protect consumers through regulation, it's bull for corporations to blame their worse services costing more on a few regulations, paying their employees terribly, etc. while they make record profits.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nwpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/employment-issues-amp-work-ethic-8-2022-?tu=nwpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.