(Topic ID: 321365)

Employment issues and work ethic 8-2022.

By gdonovan

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
csx_45 (resized).jpg
reliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpg
92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg
house2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gif
20220905_095248 (resized).jpg
20220905_094413 (resized).jpg
20220905_111154 (resized).jpg
20220905_074639 (resized).jpg
28FCF865-9C01-461C-BBA3-DD26B47B92D5.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
B34ED7A8-3A80-4C9F-BCCF-54A8A6D42D9C (resized).jpeg
384743F5-135C-4008-B71A-26D857E1CDA4.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider new-b.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Was sitting in the service wait room this morning at my car dealer. One employee came in empty handed. Apparently he was on a Dunkin run for the group. He said that the manager temporarily closed the location as 13 of their 15 employees staged a “group quit” today. This Dunkin offers $15/hr plus tips - the wage that was a big “push” from many (and over twice the NH & Federal min wage).
I’m not saying the rich don’t need to realize and support those who make them rich. Its a big sticking point at my employer. It’s just staggering that $15/hr plus tips for an entry level, no qualifications fast food job doesn’t make you shut up and do your job nowadays.

But does that mean the company or boss can treat you like dirt? If you provide a good work environment, you'll get good employees. The key is making that known. If all the employees in that store up and quit, I'd say it has more to do with the environment and less about pay.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The state claims there is a shortage of 2000 nurses in CT.
Where did they go?
Pre-Covid when had no problems staffing.

They got burnt out and said f this and switched careers. Same thing with teachers.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

One reason I didn't mention it as it is a trivial amount of funds and for most people in CT the unemployment has run out.
So... what are they living on? Even the food banks are on hard times. My brother in law did deliveries for a food bank and the state shut it down for lack of funds.

There's other ways to make money besides working for somebody.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

yeah live off welfare

How much do you really think welfare pays?

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

We all have to work for the public in some shape or form, regardless if you're working from home or a business.

But you don't have to be a traditional employee for a business is my point.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Things started changing when Google and Apple began hiring people and having open, flexible hours as well as "fun" work environments - game rooms etc -
My company recently gutted some unused office space and put in a fully equipped exercise room and a nice break/lunch room and offers free breakfast and lunch. They have a $5000 referral offer if you recruit someone, payable after 6 months. Paid tuition and all that.
As for todays workers, my stepson (27, lives at home, has never paid room/board) was recently hired at his first "real" job. He was continuously late for work this spring when we switched to daylight savings time - he told his boss that "he keeps thinking he has more time now, and his brain doesnt work that way" so can he start later than everyone else... He was telling this to my wife who was nodding her head in agreement, and I was like "Are you fucking kidding me, you said that to your BOSS??" And I looked at my wife and said "If I was late for work you'd scream at me to get my ass up on time!"
We have a 37yr old guy that was hired a few months ago - he's late 2-3 times a week, takes at least 8 breaks a day (we've counted, it's fun), has had countless meetings w HR and anyone else who will listen that he thinks he's treated unfairly, wants to be transferred to another dept (and promoted, to boot). Guy hasnt worked anywhere more than 18 months in his life. He's the last one here and first to leave. Does the least amount of work he can, he'll literally sit at his desk doing nothing until someone assigns something to him.
My first job was Burger King in 1980, $3.35 an hour, doing everything from making burgers to cleaning grease traps.

Anecdotal evidence does not represent a generation. There have always been people like this. Its just easier for people to say "kids these days"

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Enough for a roof, air conditioning, a refrigerator, low quality food, an "Obama phone", and basic cable.
Essentially, a lifestyle better than a medieval King.

So basic necessities

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The percentage has increased though.
My wife runs into more older workers who are unreliable, perhaps the ones in my field have already been weeded out so to speak.
This doesn't always run true as we had an older new employee who only lasted a week before making a serious med error and was discharged.

The population has increased as well. So are there really more lazy people or just more people in general with the same proportion of lazy people?

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

This. I have run across more than a few who dream of being big on "X" reviewing video games and such.

Because its fun. No different than someone wanting to become a pro athlete or actor and make big bucks for it. The appeal to this is the entry bar is extremely low but the successful ones still have to put in work. You have to be funny, creative, or have something to keep the attention of people or else its off to the next.

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I heard this phrase from my kids they said there’s a thing called silently quitting or quit quitting.
It means not really quitting but just doing the absolute minimum possible to keep your job.
Quiet quitting is a term and a trend that emerged in mid-2022 from a viral TikTok video. The philosophy of quiet quitting is not abruptly leaving a job but doing exactly what the job requires, no more no less.[1] The main objective of this mindset is avoiding occupational burnout and paying more attention to one's mental health and personal well-being.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_quitting

This is as old as work.

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

I myself thinks this explains the popularity of Streaming services – I think everyone is staying inside and watching TV all day.
I was in the yard a lot this weekend, and NONE of my nearby neighbors were outside – not even on a nice day with sunny blue skies.

C'mon now, really?

#112 1 year ago

In this thread its very hard to tell whats sarcasm and what is really old men yelling at clouds.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I did not say that to make me feel better. The point I was trying to make is that he obviously was able to provide you and your family a good life. Kind of hard to do that without a job.

And you can understand why there's no loyalty when you have the attitude of "be thankful you get a paycheck" vs "thank you for your hard work"

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Not talking about a couple living on one income, was talking about how the work force, after being sent home to work, never wanted to come back, thus making it difficult to find workers ....

Because most people realized they could do the same amount of work more efficiently and be happier without commuting and dealing with office bs. Bosses don't like that. Why do you need all these useless middle management positions if people are doing what they need to do?

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Never understood the people raging against WFH. I've worked from home for 10 years. For introverts it is AWESOME. You just have to get your shit done.

The people that hate it are the people that either can't because of the nature of work or managers who don't trust employees.

#203 1 year ago

On another note, anybody in this thread preaching about hard work, if you're not retired why are you posting on a pinball forum in the middle of a work day??

#242 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:This. I see this at work all the time now.
People will drop something on the floor and expect someone else to clean it.

That behavior is not unique to any particular generation.

#413 1 year ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

The generation that afforded a mortgage, a college tuition for their kid, a nice car, and a lovely existence paying into a pension on one job, are clueless about how the real world exists now.

This right here. You should feel lucky they are offering $20/hr for a job that doesn't require a degree. Surely you can live on that, they did.

Simple math $20/hr = roughly $2700/month after tax.

Minus health insurance, 401k (since no pension because you're lazy if you don't plan for the future), car payment (at least 10-15k if you want somewhat reliable), internet (because that's how we function as a society now, its a necessity), phone (also necessity), food, gas. Now you can use all that left over money to afford a nice small single family home.

#418 1 year ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Well, this sounds like an issue that is personal to you. There weren't lazy young people with no ambition when and where you grew up? I doubt that. You are studying one subjective piece of data and subjecting an entire generation to scrutiny with the bias set by your experience. Classic correlation = causation problem. If someone can't find help from any person in doing an available job the assumption is always that the people that could fill the position are just lazy, good-for-nothings and entitled. When the common denominator is the employer, actually. No better suggestion that a shit job is paying a shit wage than inability to fill said position. The rest of the world knows this. 145 countries in the world require an employer to pay sick leave. Guess who isn't one of those 145. We rank with 11 countries that don't get it, including Iran, North Korea, and Somalia. But sure, an entire generation is just lazy.

Everyone also has their own anecdotal evidence that this generation is lazy because some person they interviewed or hired did this. This has ALWAYS been a thing. People who would rather party or hang out with friends instead of show up to work?? Yeah, never happened before now.

#426 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes you can, its about making choices. Which includes hustling, making the most of opportunities when presented and doing without.
The number of people I know whining about wages while clutching a $600 phone in one hand and a fresh Starbucks in the other is beyond count.

So the $20 monthly payment for a few years for the phone and lets say $30 monthly for starbucks is whats going to make the difference in their life? Replace starbucks with a pack of cigarettes. This is not the issue. Everybody has discretionary spending.

#442 1 year ago

Bingo. Blaming the generation coming out of a system that is not set up properly is ridiculous.

#448 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

There’s less than 8 billion in the world… so 8 ppl got rich of streaming?… while it’s true that not many become wealthy from it. The tail of ppl making a livable wage or subsidizing their life is pretty large.

And all the young people trying to make a living wage on youtube/instagram/tiktok are in fact, hustling, and trying to take advantage of the opportunity. It's just different kind of work/hustle.

#474 1 year ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Im a Union carpenter. I do commercial framing and drywall. if you are productive, and show up, you can make 100k a year. We work very hard, and are expected to produce. its hard dirty work. Im American obviously and willing to do the hard work which is 80% of the work. I am a minority though. the workforce that isnt management is 70% mexican or central american. They come here to work and are HUNGRY. My company is more than happy to hire them even though there is a communication barrier at most times. I find it very frustrating. I lost it one day and hunted down my boss. I asked him why they cant hire english speaking Americans. He told me I was a dying breed. The white man doesnt want to work, or is incapable of working fast and efficiently. Thats what he told me.
it broke my heart. But thats the sad reality. Americans dont want to work. Incapable of competing with no hablos.
I think the only cure to this I think is extreme financial depression.

Are they all making 100K as well?

#490 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not the loads, they don't last long.

In 1970, the average wage for a construction helper/laborer was about $4.86/hr according to the Dept of Labor Statistics (https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/files/docs/publications/bls/bls_1709_1971.pdf) adjusted for inflation, not including this year, thats about $34. Does any builder actually pay laborers $34/hr plus benefits? Absolutely not. Companies love to hire immigrants because they will take the lower pay and not complain. Some call it hard work, others call it taking advantage.

#594 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

The owner of my company is very smart and started his own temp agency to help staff our company and others around us. Problem is those other company's will pay more for people so all the good ones go to them first and our own company is stuck with the bottom of the barrel people that can't get a job any place else because of there work ethics, but were so desperate we take in ANYONE. Child molesters, felons, druggies, you name it. On top of that our company needs to keep X amount of employees on the payroll so that we get a decent tax deduction so when the hired in numbers drop were told to start hiring ANYONE and next thing you know were stuck with these deadbeats until they quit, because were not going to fire anyone for any reason since were so hurting for people as it is. It's a mess.
John

He sounds smart.

#686 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Even if you want to argue 'well this is the bottom % of the labor pool'. Ok, then lets acknowledge 'the bottom % of today's labor pool is worse than it was 5-7 years ago'.

No. I worked a few of these minimum wage jobs in the 90s and it was the exact same shit, different decade. It motivated me to go back to school. It's not new.

#775 1 year ago
Quoted from shlt_thunder:

I'm a lazy youth. I put in 12 years post college and through grad school working full time. When I graduated in 2008 we were right at the start of the great recession. I took a "full time job" where I was told when I worked the day before I worked in advertising, and took a 33 cent pay cut per hour to do it. I've had a bunch of jobs over a 12 year period until I got furloughed in the pandemic. I started my own business, and now I make double what I made at my highest paying job and work half as much and have a 5 year plan to step further away from the day to day business aspects and just run operations. Honestly, fuck money and fuck working hard. Working fucking sucks and it's a waste of life. Do what you have to do to get by, but hard work is overrated and takes away from the good parts of life. If you can somehow figure out how to work where you barely work and make enough money to get by and do the things you want to do, then you figured it out.

Work smarter, not harder. The pissing contest some people get in about who did the hardest work in their lifetime, who worked the longest hours and the crappiest jobs is silly to me. "Look at this tree I cut down all day. I work hard."

#776 1 year ago
ElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gifElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gif
#778 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But don't whine when you lost doing the least.

Or when all that hard work just doesn't pay off.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider new-b.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/employment-issues-amp-work-ethic-8-2022-?tu=new-b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.