(Topic ID: 321365)

Employment issues and work ethic 8-2022.

By gdonovan

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
csx_45 (resized).jpg
reliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpg
92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg
house2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gif
20220905_095248 (resized).jpg
20220905_094413 (resized).jpg
20220905_111154 (resized).jpg
20220905_074639 (resized).jpg
28FCF865-9C01-461C-BBA3-DD26B47B92D5.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
B34ED7A8-3A80-4C9F-BCCF-54A8A6D42D9C (resized).jpeg
384743F5-135C-4008-B71A-26D857E1CDA4.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Black_Knight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 1 year ago

There was a great piece in the WSJ today that helps explain part of the problem. I think you need a subscription - but here it is:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/income-equality-not-inequality-is-the-problem-labor-force-participation-income-taxes-transfer-payments-middle-bottom-rich-household-size-census-11661781351

It argues the motivation/satisfaction/work ethic/participation issues isn't due to the difference between the middle class and the rich, but the difference between the middle class and the poor.

Once you account for transfer payments to those to don't work, their income is very close to the net income of those who do work. So if you are working and not making significantly more than your neighbor who doesn't, it isn't very motivating.

Apart from the growing welfare state, this is also a product of our affluence and not pushing our kids as hard as previous generations since WW2.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I might argue that on the other side of that coin, people have been pushed to the point of burnout, and realized that it's not healthy.

How many people under 40 are really burned out to impact the participation rate? I mean legitimately "I have worked too hard for too long I quit"

Although they exists, it is a small, small minority. Most of what folks complain about is the entitled, never had a real job, Xbox players that can't do a 9-5 entry level job to figure out how hard they can work.

Covid did impact healthcare, the woke impacted police, but the Great Resignation from burnout is already reversing itself so the older, experienced folks are returning, but it is slow.

#226 1 year ago
Quoted from frisbez:

This whole thread can be summed up in 2 images.

A bunch of *relatively* rich old men being mad at the young and poor while their companies and bosses take advantage of their labor.

Should have joined the capitalist class I guess. What's that? The barrier to entry is too high? Maybe you should have considered being born a generation earlier then. The Monopoly analogy posted earlier is spot on.

Most of the divergence in your chart is explained by stagflation in the 70's and the introduction of the PC in 1980.

There is no barrier to entry into the capitalist class. The entire technology industry was created by a bunch of 20 something's, not handed down by old money families.

#303 1 year ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

This is a difficult topic to understand and to talk about. If you want to really understand what's going on, ask some economists, not pinside.

They were introduced in post # 74, but no one wanted facts.

#318 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Find a job where you get paid and make people happy.

That’s why I semi retired last year and opened Vertigo Pinball!

#320 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

If the cook is pissed that someone “below them” makes the same, this a perception problem on the cook’s part.
I don’t care how much other people make. I make enough to provide for my family and live comfortably, ie, buy several pins per year.
So if a Starbucks employee makes more than me slinging soy lattes, I’m supposed to be pissed according to your analogy, quit music, and go make coffee at Starbucks? No way. I’d rather make less and actually enjoy the precious time that I sell.
People who get upset because “lesser jobs” make more are a big part of why this country isn’t as great as it could be. We’re fighting each other over who makes a few bucks an hour more or less, rather than going after those who hoard billions.
We have the power in numbers, but we instead choose to be petty. It’s depressing to see how the poor bicker amount themselves for scraps.

You have clearly never hired people and managed an organization.
Compensation is a critical motivational and reward tool and a primary friction point in an org.

#344 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

And you have clearly never worked a job that truly made you happy.

I own an arcade man and happy as a clam. Before that I ran a successful consulting business that was very satisfying not sure what assumptions you are making to think I haven’t been happy.

I’m glad you have a successful and fulfilling music career.

My point was that your personal motivation is irrelevant when hiring and managing people. Finding good employees was the point of this entire thread.

The $15 busboy vs cook is an everyday issue for people who have employees and is something you and Washington don’t really understand.

#345 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Humpback whales have barnacles growing on them and seem to thrive.

Humpbacks are endangered and barnacles slow them down. Coincidence?

#360 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

I understand it better than you, because the busboy vs. the cook is merely the symptom of a larger problem.

I understand it better than you because I’ve had to hire and pay both.

#387 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Since 2000 prices have increased by 72% while wages have increased by 4%

4% is the real wage growth since, meaning after inflation. You are comparing different calculation methods here.

#401 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

And what the hell is wrong with people? You can't always lead a kid down the right path, but you can lead them down the wrong one. I just dropped off my youngest for his first day of Kindergarten. This was staggered start so there were only 6 kids in the class. We were there on time, but only 1 other kid showed up on time and had his parents wait until they went in. 2 kids were 10 minutes late, 1 was 15 minutes late, and 1 didn't show up at all. Only 2 of 6 Kindergarteners made it to school on time on their very first day of school... a big day for a kid that could determine whether the like or hate school going forward. I just... I just can't.... At least none of the kids were crying this time.

Don't blame the parents! The line at Starbucks was longer than usual because it is short staffed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Black_Knight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/employment-issues-amp-work-ethic-8-2022-?tu=Black_Knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.