(Topic ID: 321365)

Employment issues and work ethic 8-2022.

By gdonovan

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
csx_45 (resized).jpg
reliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpg
92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg
house2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gif
20220905_095248 (resized).jpg
20220905_094413 (resized).jpg
20220905_111154 (resized).jpg
20220905_074639 (resized).jpg
28FCF865-9C01-461C-BBA3-DD26B47B92D5.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
B34ED7A8-3A80-4C9F-BCCF-54A8A6D42D9C (resized).jpeg
384743F5-135C-4008-B71A-26D857E1CDA4.gif
There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.
#51 1 year ago

Eh... some people are movers and shakers and some are not. Always been that way.

Definitely doesn't make sense to be loyal to a company any more and expect to get the gold watch in 30 years. You have to always do what's best for yourself just like the employer is doing. This generation is confused by the promises they're fed of "college degree = great life". Degrees are a dime a dozen now... unless you're a doctor or a lawyer, who cares? Are you sure the debt was worth it? Did you even think about what you would do with that bachelor's in lesbian dance studies? Even those that are successful credit the school instead of themselves, which is so odd to me. The richest guy on my street is an offshore metal fabricator... he's smart, he's his own boss and works his ass off but man does he have a sweet boat.

Hard work still pays off but you also have to have a positive attitude, be fierce, know where you want to be in the future and have realistic goals to get there.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I used to work at a community College teaching people how to drive large commercial vehicles.
Recruiters would come in looking for new drivers at a training wage to start and the students would ask..."why work for you when I can make the same collecting unemployment?"
They want high pay with no experience.

On the other hand you can look on job boards that label things as clearly Entry Level and then says requires 2-3 years experience. I think plenty of places cant fill their jobs because they just arent offering competitive salaries.

#53 1 year ago

I kinda like this new workforce. I get a lot OT for pinball stuff.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Probably retired... and not as many people packing into medical school to take their places. It is not viewed as prestigious the way it used to be.
My Father In Law just left the ICU and we are setting him up with nursing care at home while in a back brace. He really needs ot be in a nursing home. Somehow, he is getting "skilled nursing care" at home that does catheterization for... $22 an hour. I'll give credit that it is the cheapest nurse we could find that could do catheters, but how does a nursing degree make sense on that salary? It sucks... I love Doctors and Nurses.

Nurses here are paid $50 to $75 per hour, plus insurance plus bonuses.

It's an easy gig with 2 med passes a day, vitals and the odd bandage change.

#55 1 year ago

Maybe.. but not all companies can offer remote work. gdonovan is talking about nursing homes... How are they going to do that work remote?
I also think this flight to remote work is going to bite alot of people and the butt and reverse itself long term. If you can do the work from your home basement in Indiana there is no reason why it cannot be done cheaper from a sweat shop in India.

Honestly, people who work in nursing homes can't be paid enough as far as I am concerned. Thanks gdonovan for doing what you do!

For hiring new people though, if you are paying 20 bucks an hour to work at a nursing home, or they can make 25 at Target, or 20 for working remote doing support calls...its just capitalism at that point.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

It’s just staggering that $15/hr plus tips for an entry level, no qualifications fast food job doesn’t make you shut up and do your job nowadays.

It might be no qualifications, but it is still a shit job that most people don’t want. I’m you want people to do shit jobs instead of better jobs, pay them more to do it, give them better and more reliable hours, give them benefits. It’s not hard, it just means sacrificing profits.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

$20 a hour for warehouse work doesn't compute when the person has their rent jump from $1000 to $2000 or more in a month over the last year or two. We have had several 30+ year skilled labor employees quit my place of employment and go elsewhere in the last few weeks because the company isn't changing with the times. A 3% raise after 6 years of no raises during the good times isn't going to cut it in the free market. Loyalty is a 2-way street, and the power is changing hands for the first time in a generation. If you feel you are underpaid, you are an idiot for not looking elsewhere right now. As a company, you either adapt or die...its that simple.
And please stop using stimulus payments as a reason for people not working. Do the math in your head and think about the amount of money which was handed out to each person over the sum of all stimulus payments, and ask yourself how you live for 2 years on that. $1200+$600+$1400 doesn't go very far.

One reason I didn't mention it as it is a trivial amount of funds and for most people in CT the unemployment has run out.

So... what are they living on? Even the food banks are on hard times. My brother in law did deliveries for a food bank and the state shut it down for lack of funds.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

One reason I didn't mention it as it is a trivial amount of funds and for most people in CT the unemployment has run out.
So... what are they living on? Even the food banks are on hard times. My brother in law did deliveries for a food bank and the state shut it down for lack of funds.

There's other ways to make money besides working for somebody.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

yeah live off welfare

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

We all have to work for the public in some shape or form, regardless if you're working from home or a business.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

See the attached pic.

How 'bout this one?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#62 1 year ago

Things started changing when Google and Apple began hiring people and having open, flexible hours as well as "fun" work environments - game rooms etc -

My company recently gutted some unused office space and put in a fully equipped exercise room and a nice break/lunch room and offers free breakfast and lunch. They have a $5000 referral offer if you recruit someone, payable after 6 months. Paid tuition and all that.

As for todays workers, my stepson (27, lives at home, has never paid room/board) was recently hired at his first "real" job. He was continuously late for work this spring when we switched to daylight savings time - he told his boss that "he keeps thinking he has more time now, and his brain doesnt work that way" so can he start later than everyone else... He was telling this to my wife who was nodding her head in agreement, and I was like "Are you fucking kidding me, you said that to your BOSS??" And I looked at my wife and said "If I was late for work you'd scream at me to get my ass up on time!"

We have a 37yr old guy that was hired a few months ago - he's late 2-3 times a week, takes at least 8 breaks a day (we've counted, it's fun), has had countless meetings w HR and anyone else who will listen that he thinks he's treated unfairly, wants to be transferred to another dept (and promoted, to boot). Guy hasnt worked anywhere more than 18 months in his life. He's the last one here and first to leave. Does the least amount of work he can, he'll literally sit at his desk doing nothing until someone assigns something to him.

My first job was Burger King in 1980, $3.35 an hour, doing everything from making burgers to cleaning grease traps.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

He has desires but wants others to pay for them.
Not realistic.

We all have desires, but are they worth the trouble. Sounds like to him they aren’t right now. And if he can get other people to pay for it, that’s on them.

#64 1 year ago

One aspect of the issue is that benefits and big purchases that were acting as carrots are now so far out of reach (ie, cars, houses) compared to current salaries, that the incentive for working towards those have imploded and left people with the "why bother?" mentality.

Additionally, the promise that a college education would land someone a good paying job has not actually turned out well for everyone in the past several years. So, some folks are being saddled with high debt from college loans, and have little chance of digging themselves out, so again the "why bother?" mentality.

Then on top of that, there's the mindset of "know your worth" where people don't want to work high stress, high effort menial jobs for menial pay. So, they go elsewhere, making it tougher for employers to fill those kinds of jobs.

With the increased costs of hiring full time employees (health insurance, taxes, benefits, etc), many employers have shifted to mostly offering part-time work, versus full time. So, that also leads to some challenges in filling positions.

There isn't really any one single reason why we're in the situation we're in. There's a whole long list of contributing factors.

It's not just about the work ethic of younger people--that's just one convenient place to put blame. It's not about people being lazy and sitting around collecting checks, that's just another convenient place to put blame for people who don't fully understand the entire scope of the problem.

There are plenty of young people who are dedicated and hard workers. Employers just have to realize that the same things that worked in years past for attracting and retaining staff don't always work for today's modern workforce. People want to feel that they are valued, and just not a nameless cog in a machine that would be replaced in a couple days if they happened to drop dead on the spot.

There just is no one simple answer to this. There are all sorts of economic, financial, cultural causes and reasons for why things are in the state they are right now. Trying to pin everything on just one thing is disingenuous.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

yeah live off welfare

How much do you really think welfare pays?

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

Enough to not need a job, and it may include housing.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

We all have to work for the public in some shape or form, regardless if you're working from home or a business.

But you don't have to be a traditional employee for a business is my point.

#68 1 year ago

COVID unemployment checks ended a year ago and people are still blaming them for people not wanting to work?

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Honestly, people who work in nursing homes can't be paid enough as far as I am concerned. Thanks gdonovan for doing what you do!

Thank You, I'm strongly considering exiting the field after the sale goes through if the new owners want to run the place into the ground.

It's a very demanding job keeping things running smoothly and frankly I'm getting burned out with the constant hunt for supplies, ridiculous unfunded state mandates and other BS.

Flying a freshly built aerial lift bucket truck 100 ft in the air is far less stress.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

Enough for a roof, air conditioning, a refrigerator, low quality food, an "Obama phone", and basic cable.

Essentially, a lifestyle better than a medieval King.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Things started changing when Google and Apple began hiring people and having open, flexible hours as well as "fun" work environments - game rooms etc -
My company recently gutted some unused office space and put in a fully equipped exercise room and a nice break/lunch room and offers free breakfast and lunch. They have a $5000 referral offer if you recruit someone, payable after 6 months. Paid tuition and all that.
As for todays workers, my stepson (27, lives at home, has never paid room/board) was recently hired at his first "real" job. He was continuously late for work this spring when we switched to daylight savings time - he told his boss that "he keeps thinking he has more time now, and his brain doesnt work that way" so can he start later than everyone else... He was telling this to my wife who was nodding her head in agreement, and I was like "Are you fucking kidding me, you said that to your BOSS??" And I looked at my wife and said "If I was late for work you'd scream at me to get my ass up on time!"
We have a 37yr old guy that was hired a few months ago - he's late 2-3 times a week, takes at least 8 breaks a day (we've counted, it's fun), has had countless meetings w HR and anyone else who will listen that he thinks he's treated unfairly, wants to be transferred to another dept (and promoted, to boot). Guy hasnt worked anywhere more than 18 months in his life. He's the last one here and first to leave. Does the least amount of work he can, he'll literally sit at his desk doing nothing until someone assigns something to him.
My first job was Burger King in 1980, $3.35 an hour, doing everything from making burgers to cleaning grease traps.

Anecdotal evidence does not represent a generation. There have always been people like this. Its just easier for people to say "kids these days"

#72 1 year ago

Enough for a roof, air conditioning, a refrigerator, low quality food, an "Obama phone", and basic cable.
Essentially, a lifestyle better than a medieval King.

So basic necessities

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

So basic necessities

It's always interesting to me people that have an attitude where the options should be between work for the Corp machine or die.

#74 1 year ago

There was a great piece in the WSJ today that helps explain part of the problem. I think you need a subscription - but here it is:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/income-equality-not-inequality-is-the-problem-labor-force-participation-income-taxes-transfer-payments-middle-bottom-rich-household-size-census-11661781351

It argues the motivation/satisfaction/work ethic/participation issues isn't due to the difference between the middle class and the rich, but the difference between the middle class and the poor.

Once you account for transfer payments to those to don't work, their income is very close to the net income of those who do work. So if you are working and not making significantly more than your neighbor who doesn't, it isn't very motivating.

Apart from the growing welfare state, this is also a product of our affluence and not pushing our kids as hard as previous generations since WW2.

#75 1 year ago

There is a generational cultural shift happening, and I can't wait to read the studies 10-15 years from now.

One issue millennials are facing, which hasn't been mentioned in this thread, is the rising cost of child care. My friend left his very secure, great benefit job, making 100K a year because of child care issues. He figured after tax, gas, child care costs, etc he was only making 40K a year to go to his job. 40K was not enough for him to sacrifice his time and life for a job he wasn't passionate about. His wife continues to work, he left the job, takes care of the kids, and started a couple "hobby jobs" which he enjoys doing. They took a pay cut, but the family is living it up and loving life.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I work with people in their 20s and early 30s (hundreds and hundreds of them) and they will walk out on gigs with people that have that mindset. Make of that what you will.

I hear this all the time and it still confuses me to this day. Yes politicians and corporations got huge bailouts and ppp loans that they never had to pay back, they used it to buy back stock, line their pockets and so on, see plenty of recent news about that. But average folk in the USA? No they got little to nothing, they got royally screwed.

See the attached pic. I didn't list the source because that would make it become political but it's fairly trivial to google multiple sources about the damage to our valued immigration. We lost *many* talented immigrants during that period who rather than bring their brain power here instead simply setup shop in other countries and are now our competitors.
[quoted image]

You live in CA so that tells us all we need to know about the people you work with.
California is being crippled, lots of those big tech companies are leaving because the workforce in that state is terrible.

Make of that what you will.

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from SunKing:

How 'bout this one?[quoted image]

Not a surprise both because immigrants have more kids but also because they just fit the job requirements better. During my tech years (90s and 2000s) it was literally just about impossible to hire locals, they didn't have the skills required. For example one of the requirements when hiring an immigrant at the time was that you also had to list the job locally for six months to try and find local talent and it *never* panned out. This is extremely obvious in tech where you usually have to hire immigrants to get the level of school/experience/knowledge required but also in other fields like medical. Just google it, immigration was blocked a few years ago and now rural America struggles to find doctors. Our family back home is all in medical (I bucked the trend) so when immigration here was blocked they just setup their medical practices in other countries. Now rural America is reeling from the lack of doctors. Blocking immigration is both insane as it just made us fuel our competition, and sad from the damage it has done locally.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You live in CA so that tells us all we need to know about the people you work with.
California is being crippled, lots of those big tech companies are leaving because the workforce in that state is terrible.
Make of that what you will.

This is a nonsense trope endlessly refuted by the data. Not even going to waste my time on this.

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

this is also a product of our affluence and not pushing our kids as hard as previous generations since WW2.

I might argue that on the other side of that coin, people have been pushed to the point of burnout, and realized that it's not healthy.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

Anecdotal evidence does not represent a generation. There have always been people like this. Its just easier for people to say "kids these days"

The percentage has increased though.

My wife runs into more older workers who are unreliable, perhaps the ones in my field have already been weeded out so to speak.

This doesn't always run true as we had an older new employee who only lasted a week before making a serious med error and was discharged. No one was harmed, but it got us an IJ tag from the state and a hefty fine for good measure.

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

You're absolutely right. Those are just a couple of my recent real life experiences.

I think the new generations see people getting rich for doing nothing (hello Kardashians) or for being Youtube stars/online influencers/whatever, and they want to do the same, when the odds of that are like becoming a movie star.

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The percentage has increased though.
My wife runs into more older workers who are unreliable, perhaps the ones in my field have already been weeded out so to speak.
This doesn't always run true as we had an older new employee who only lasted a week before making a serious med error and was discharged.

The population has increased as well. So are there really more lazy people or just more people in general with the same proportion of lazy people?

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I might argue that on the other side of that coin, people have been pushed to the point of burnout, and realized that it's not healthy.

I think the current string of crisis have burned people out.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You're absolutely right. Those are just a couple of my recent real life experiences.
I think the new generations see people getting rich for doing nothing (hello Kardashians) or for being Youtube stars/online influencers/whatever, and they want to do the same, when the odds of that are like becoming a movie star.

This. I have run across more than a few who dream of being big on "X" reviewing video games and such.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from SunKing:

This is the most asinine thing I've read in a while. Immigrants are pouring across the southern borders at rates never seen before. Small southern towns are being overwhelmed. Texas sends a few bus loads to New York and DC, and they try to call in the National Guard - when that's but a tiny fraction of what Texas and the other southern states are seeing.
Please, tell me how the US has closed off immigration.

You are confusing legal immigration with illegal border crossings.
Our legal immigration system has been essentially broken for 40 years.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

How many people under 40 are really burned out to impact the participation rate? I mean legitimately "I have worked too hard for too long I quit"

Although they exists, it is a small, small minority. Most of what folks complain about is the entitled, never had a real job, Xbox players that can't do a 9-5 entry level job to figure out how hard they can work.

Covid did impact healthcare, the woke impacted police, but the Great Resignation from burnout is already reversing itself so the older, experienced folks are returning, but it is slow.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

This. I have run across more than a few who dream of being big on "X" reviewing video games and such.

Because its fun. No different than someone wanting to become a pro athlete or actor and make big bucks for it. The appeal to this is the entry bar is extremely low but the successful ones still have to put in work. You have to be funny, creative, or have something to keep the attention of people or else its off to the next.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Every generation has it's "get rich" thing, like in the 80s everyone was gonna get rich from wall street, the 90s from company ipo's, the 2000's from the internet, 2010's from crypto, etc...

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Let me be clear, I hope this doesn't turn into a mud slinging contest. I'm just sharing notes.
It's not particularly generational but those in their younger years do seem to be more of an issue in the employment pool.
One of my own sons included. He has no particular desire to work, just makes enough to pay his rent and hang out with friends. Talks about getting a sweet ride but doesn't have the will to save the money or work for it. Magical thinking.
Other son is in the Army and hard charger, bucking for Sargent in under 4 years. Already a Cav-Scout and going for Ranger.
I work in a healthcare facility and we cannot find good help. No show, no call all the time. The people that do apply are largely bottom of the barrel who don't last long and have poor work ethic and poor communication skills. Get one decent person out of 8 hires. The pool people are no better.
My wife works in a mid size big box store that just opened, of the original 20 people hired 4 months ago she is the only individual left. Same thing. She showed up to open the store a few days ago and the 3 other people who were suppose to be there? No show, no call. The job isn't particularly demanding either.
I quiz guys in other fields; HVAC techs, hardware stores, elevator techs, fire service techs, food services.
All singing the same song, can't find reliable help.
People that have been in their particular fields for any period of time (reliable) are being snapped up. Just lost a co-worker who was offered a 30% bump in pay and 3 weeks vacation to jump ship. She did. I posted my resume on Indeed, my mailbox exploded with offers. Some clear across the country even though I have it marked no more than 50 miles away.
Perhaps it is regional; productive people are clearing out of CT because of the state taxes for greener pastures.
What say you?

You already know the answer. The simple and very clear answer will get moderated as political and get the responder(very possibly me right now) anywhere from a slap on the wrist(posts deleted), to a ban, of undetermined length.

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

How many people under 40 are really burned out to impact the participation rate? I mean legitimately "I have worked too hard for too long I quit"

To reference a quote from Indiana Jones, It's not always about the years, but the mileage.

Demands on the modern workforce can be high. Quotas, stress, management issues. Just look at the churn & burn rate at amazon. I would certainly not want to work there if I had other options.

Shipping, transportation, and delivery jobs? Food service industry jobs? Often times very demanding, low respect, poor treatment, low pay.

There is both long term and short term burnout.

#90 1 year ago

Supply of jobs will eventually align again with demand.

‘Workers demanding more’ will eventually push employers out of business or more and more jobs to Best Cost Countries (BCCs). Once there are fewer jobs, the employees that demand more will be unemployed.

Maybe when they can’t find a job, they won’t be quite so demanding any more.

It’ll take a little while to get there, but it will happen. How much it shrinks the US economy will ultimately depend on how stubborn the work force is. As long as there are people in this world willing to work for less, this ultimately has to happen. We can only protect entitled US workers from desperate BCC laborers so long.

Opening boarders would accelerate this process. Funny how the workers demanding more from employers are usually the same ones that want us to open boarders.

#91 1 year ago

let them eat cake!

Carrot cake.. its healthier because its got vegetables.

#93 1 year ago

I heard this phrase from my kids they said there’s a thing called silently quitting or quit quitting.

It means not really quitting but just doing the absolute minimum possible to keep your job.

Quiet quitting is a term and a trend that emerged in mid-2022 from a viral TikTok video. The philosophy of quiet quitting is not abruptly leaving a job but doing exactly what the job requires, no more no less.[1] The main objective of this mindset is avoiding occupational burnout and paying more attention to one's mental health and personal well-being.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_quitting

#94 1 year ago

I heard in China and other countries the young people are doing what’s called lying down. It means instead of getting a 9-5 job which in China might be a 9-9 job 6 days a week. Instead of that these slackers will just work one day and then take off and play video games and hang out for a few days maybe sleeping outside or couch crashing, after a few days off they’ll work another day and repeat.

#95 1 year ago

When we hit 80 years old and are dependent on this new generation to take care of us... We are big time screwed. Game over man
They wont know difference between urethra and rectum. Will put foleys in our nostrils.

R (resized).jpgR (resized).jpg
#96 1 year ago

The favorite local soft serve place has now closed for the year. August 28 when closing used to happen on Nov. 1.
Two full months early – they can’t find reliable help that will show-up for work, and WANT to work.
From their location about 6 miles to home, I passed 11 “Now Hiring” signs, until I stopped counting.

A nearby Wendy’s closed 3 months ago, all signs removed and the building for sale.
In the months prior, on my return home from town, I’d stop and get a Frostie frozen ice cream for the wife.
FIVE times over about 2 months, I went through the drive-through, and at the window was told “Here, just take it, no charge.”
WTF?

A month ago I was chatting with my neighbor next door, and he told me many times, he’d drive-through for a burger and fries and was told “Hey, thanks for stopping today, no charge it’s on us.”

My only assumption is they had to close - their employees were giving the food (and the revenue!) away - apparently they had NO choice but to close because the staff was sabotaging sales!

A friend of mine knows the owner of a popular pizza shop in my town.
They cut deliveries and shortened hours – can’t find good help.
He started a new (younger) employee several weeks back – the kid showed up for 2 days, and on the 3rd day never appeared.
That day he texted the owner: “I went out last night and I’m still drunk. I won’t be in today” – so he fired him.

The local Post Office has banners all over their building and trucks – Jobs Open, $20/hr to start with full Federal benefits.
My our house we see a new different route driver about every 3 weeks. Turnover.
(Amazing that when I was in school, getting ANY federal job was considered the start of a well-paying career, with full Federal benefits too!).

Here, garages, dr offices, restaurants, and etc., all have shortened their customer hours – so I ask why?
The answer is always “we can’t find help that wants to work.”

WTF are these people living on?
I myself thinks this explains the popularity of Streaming services – I think everyone is staying inside and watching TV all day.

I was in the yard a lot this weekend, and NONE of my nearby neighbors were outside – not even on a nice day with sunny blue skies.

#97 1 year ago

I realize this forum is largely a bunch of better of middle aged white guys. I would recommend browsing reddit's antiwork sub if you want to see some, "interesting attitudes". Here is a link https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/top/

#98 1 year ago

The real concern for the OP, is the son’s future. Barely making it today means a real struggle at 60.
I run a small company and have been doing the grind for 34 years. I’ve seen guys that started at the business making 40k and gave their left nut and now make 250-300k. Most people don’t make it long enough or want to sacrifice enough to get there. It’s called work for a reason, but financial pressures in the future due to lack of work ethics when you’re younger can be dismal.
The future problem will be that your son and daughter that didn’t do the grind now will be the parents problem in the future.
I’m a parent of a 16 year old daughter and have her working now to prepare her for financial independence down the road. I don’t want that to be my responsibility in the future.
I’m sure people will not like this statement, but work ethics have changed and people aren’t the same as they once were. I work with 60-80 year olds that I would take over a 20-30 year old all day! Sad but true.

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I heard this phrase from my kids they said there’s a thing called silently quitting or quit quitting.
It means not really quitting but just doing the absolute minimum possible to keep your job.
Quiet quitting is a term and a trend that emerged in mid-2022 from a viral TikTok video. The philosophy of quiet quitting is not abruptly leaving a job but doing exactly what the job requires, no more no less.[1] The main objective of this mindset is avoiding occupational burnout and paying more attention to one's mental health and personal well-being.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_quitting

This is as old as work.

#100 1 year ago

What's going to happen when there's not enough people in the workforce paying into Social Security and Social Security dries up and there's nothing left for anybody think about that for a little bit

There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/employment-issues-amp-work-ethic-8-2022-/page/2?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.