(Topic ID: 321365)

Employment issues and work ethic 8-2022.

By gdonovan

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
csx_45 (resized).jpg
reliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpg
92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg
house2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ElasticScentedAgouti-size_restricted.gif
20220905_095248 (resized).jpg
20220905_094413 (resized).jpg
20220905_111154 (resized).jpg
20220905_074639 (resized).jpg
28FCF865-9C01-461C-BBA3-DD26B47B92D5.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
Doggy MEME Theif.gif
B34ED7A8-3A80-4C9F-BCCF-54A8A6D42D9C (resized).jpeg
384743F5-135C-4008-B71A-26D857E1CDA4.gif
There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.
#801 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

It's funny how money motivates people

.....Lots to say, all deleted....

#802 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I was surprised to find there are only 3 countries in the WORLD that don't use the metric system, the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar.....
I worked for Chrysler in the 80s and was told it's because it would cost too much to re-tool the entire US manufacturing industry.

I believe UK uses a combination of metric and imperial units.

92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg92A35543-CE72-4F6B-9093-14898D22C330 (resized).jpeg

#803 1 year ago

I rarely tip at restaurants.

Because I rarely eat at restaurants. We enjoy making and preparing our own food at home. We spend Sunday hanging out with each other, listening to music or playing something on the TV while we prepare the week's lunches and dinner menu.

That said, when we dine out, I tip 20% regardless. Good service, bad service, it's all the same to me at a restaurant, I hate waiting for food and service and would prefer doing it myself. We'll eat out for meals that are too much to prepare at home or for something interesting and different.

I kind of chuckle at people using the DoorDash and UberEats services. Fat asses too lazy to fetch their own food and leave shit tips for the delivery people. That's exactly the type of service you should tip well if you can't be bothered doing something for yourself because you're locked on the couch in a K-Hole.

#804 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I was surprised to find there are only 3 countries in the WORLD that don't use the metric system, the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar.....
I worked for Chrysler in the 80s and was told it's because it would cost too much to re-tool the entire US manufacturing industry.

I worked for Chrysler in the 80s, all the FWD vehicles are metric.

Only the trucks at the time were SAE.

#805 1 year ago

The US not using metric thing is so tiring.

#806 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I worked for Chrysler in the 80s, all the FWD vehicles are metric.
Only the trucks at the time were SAE.

The tooling in the plants to build them wasn't metric........

I was a toolmaker apprentice at the time - I was working on a lathe with one of the old timers, he wipes some grunge off a small metal badge on the front of the machine and says "See that?" It said "Inspected DoD 1944" or something - he said "we were building tank parts for WWII in here". Pretty cool.

#807 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

The tooling in the plants to build them wasn't metric........

Nonetheless every single FWD Chrysler made in the 80's was metric. 100% aside from an odd firewall ground strap self tapper for some bizarre reason.

Chrysler had three engine lines in Michigan turning out 2.2 and 2.5 engines as fast as they could and one plant in Mexico puking them out as well. Was a Chrysler master tech from 1984 to 1988 and returned to the company in 2003-2008 and was certified a master tech again.

Still have a 1985 Plymouth Reliant that runs 10's with a 2.5 and a 1987 Shelby CSX street car that runs 12's. All metric.

csx_45 (resized).jpgcsx_45 (resized).jpgreliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpgreliant_cecil_01 (resized).jpg
#808 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nonetheless every single FWD Chrysler made in the 80's was metric. 100% aside from an odd firewall ground strap self tapper for some bizarre reason.
Chrysler had three engine lines in Michigan turning out 2.2 and 2.5 engines as fast as they could and one plant in Mexico puking them out as well. Was a Chrysler master tech from 1984 to 1988 and returned to the company in 2003-2008 and was certified a master tech again.
Still have a 1985 Plymouth Reliant that runs 10's with a 2.5 and a 1987 Shelby CSX street car that runs 12's. All metric.[quoted image][quoted image]

That reliant is fuckin sweet lol. What a sleeper. The only giveaway now is that you rarely see K cars on the road anymore

#809 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

That reliant is fuckin sweet lol. What a sleeper. The only giveaway now is that you rarely see K cars on the road anymore

Cash for clunkers wiped out a lot of perfectly good vehicles.

#810 1 year ago

A lot of commonly used integrated circuits spacing is based on inches still because the Americans invented them, so take that! I still do my PCB design mostly on a in inch grid because of it. 2.54mm and divisions of that come up a lot.

0.156" = 5/32"

#811 1 year ago

One of the gallows humor part of my first engineering job was my division training our replacements, based out of Poland, on this concept called imperial measurements.

“What’s a mil? Do you mean millimeter?” “We don’t have the tooling for this, can you guys ship it here?”

The first tech drawings and products coming out of that plant I swear…

Millions and millions spent to save thousands.

A 3-6 month training ended up going past 2 years…then my company was sold and I left so I still don’t know if that plant ever truly came online.

#812 1 year ago

The whole standard vs metric thing is just another example of how the US has fallen behind the rest of the world. Another example of refusal to change with the times because 'merica'. Old people stuck in the past unwilling to look at things and realize things were not better 80+ years ago. Same as people who think tipping should still be a thing 'to keep costs down', and that minimum wage jobs shouldn't be livable. Change isn't always easy, but I think some people are in for a rude awakening as things change and leave them in the dust. Don't misunderstand me, some change for the sake of change is idiotic, which happens all too often in the business world.

#813 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Wage should be commensurate with experience, training and work ethic.

While I agree compensation should be pegged to merit What is the point of working if you're not able to make ends meet? To feel good about yourself? To pull yourself up by your bootstraps? A lot of decent paying jobs with benefits are disappearing if not have disappeared. I doubt the average Joe can get a job from high school work hard and support a family. That is exactly what my did and we lived on a shoestring budget and it worked. That type of job he had is long gone. Why work for McDonald's for a minimum wage only to have the franchise and McDonald's get money off of your labor? I can understand your frustration with work ethic but when it comes to employment issues every man for themselves. The system we currently have has brought us to this point. Thank God publicly traded companies have a few does fuduciary responsibility to the shareholders and damn everything else.

#814 1 year ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

While I agree compensation should be pegged to merit What is the point of working if you're not able to make ends meet? To feel good about yourself?

I can't answer the question as a lot of that will depend on the individual.

Been turning this over in my head for a few days now, frankly I despise the term "living wage" as it was invented to invoke an emotional response from its audience. Making ends meet is a bit more fair description. Not all jobs are meant for "making a living"

Quoted from Swainer80:

To pull yourself up by your bootstraps?

As a "non-boomer" I was left with no straps to pull up.

The world in which the prior generation to me no longer exists just as the world I came through the ranks exists no longer. There are some parallels though, the Carter years I grew up in was a crap show damn near unparalleled. I try to keep these things in mind and be fair.

You mention people not making ends meet, what sort of effort do they put forth? In my experience the *majority* of "labor" wishes to skate by with a minimum of effort. As other people have pointed out, 10% does the heavy lifting and the rest just come along for the ride.

We can argue the % but that is a accurate observation.

Perhaps my early years were more formative the other direction as working in a flat rate automotive garage meant you either worked or you went hungry. You learn to hustle and work efficiently, I even made money on the crap warranty jobs that Chrysler always underpaid on. Find the shortcuts and exploit them. If I didn't like the terms of my employment I was always free to move to another garage and frankly did should someone offer more money as my skill set improved. I worked in 3 garages in 3 years within sight of each other and just rolled my box down the sidewalk to the other facility. Technically 4 garages as I went back to the 2nd one after working at the 3rd.

Quoted from Swainer80:

A lot of decent paying jobs with benefits are disappearing if not have disappeared.

Agreed, a lot of manufacturing jobs have been offshored along with the tech support.

Quoted from Swainer80:

I doubt the average Joe can get a job from high school work hard and support a family.

Which use to be the standard but isn't any longer. Along with what is stated above (offshoring) the devaluing of the currency has done much to impoverish the middle class. By design in my opinion but that is a discussion for another day and thread.

Quoted from Swainer80:

That is exactly what my did and we lived on a shoestring budget and it worked.

Same. I lived on my own not long after graduating with the minimum wage at $5 an hour in 1984, though shared housing with a friend. Costs were less and there was no major internet yet, no cell phone bill, hell car insurance was not mandatory yet along with a bunch of other factors.

Quoted from Swainer80:

That type of job he had is long gone.

Maybe, I think location plays a lot into it but with more people being flooded into the market, labor is being devalued as quick as the USD.

Quoted from Swainer80:

Why work for McDonald's for a minimum wage only to have the franchise and McDonald's get money off of your labor?

$15 an hour to flip in CT this fall.

Quoted from Swainer80:

I can understand your frustration with work ethic but when it comes to employment issues every man for themselves.

I agree "every man for himself" but that doesn't change the fact when you agree to take a job there is a minimum expectation that you are going to show up on time when scheduled. There is a sizable percentage of the population who can't even do that.

#815 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Cash for clunkers wiped out a lot of perfectly good vehicles.

cash for clunkers was awful and all around a gigantic failure. Fuck that program.

#816 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I can't answer the question as a lot of that will depend on the individual.
Been turning this over in my head for a few days now, frankly I despise the term "living wage" as it was invented to invoke an emotional response from its audience. Making ends meet is a bit more fair description. Not all jobs are meant for "making a living"

Should "work" be a requirement for "living?" What about those with disabilities or illness? You speak of effort, but why do "the ends" seem to be so far apart for some?

#817 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

Should "work" be a requirement for "living?" What about those with disabilities or illness? You speak of effort, but why do "the ends" seem to be so far apart for some?

1) Define living; You have to do something to eat & shelter, be it live in the woods and off the land, have a job or start a business and pay for stuff, have a rich family or be a gigolo. Or starve. Pick one.

2) Do these people with disabilities or illnesses have family? The vast majority of people are not afflicted with disabilities. The argument is lost on me to some degree as I have seen enough people abuse the system and obtained lifetime paychecks for the most imaginary of things. People with legit illness I harbor no ill will towards and society should be taking care of them.

My wife works with a single Canadian able bodied woman who collects SNAP benefits. WTF. She was complaining a few weeks ago she didn't have enough money left on her SNAP card to get another round of energy drinks. WTF.

The system is horribly broken.

Why is the ends different? Can't say, like others point out sometimes regardless of your effort things end badly. A hard working man has a lot more opportunities then one who sits on the couch.

#818 1 year ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Why work for McDonald's for a minimum wage only to have the franchise and McDonald's get money off of your labor?

If you don't like the environment - don't work there. What justifies being a shitty person as a form of 'pay back'??

#819 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

1) Define living; You have to do something to eat & shelter, be it live in the woods and off the land, have a job or start a business and pay for stuff, have a rich family or be a gigolo. Or starve. Pick one.
2) Do these people with disabilities or illnesses have family? The vast majority of people are not afflicted with disabilities. The argument is lost on me to some degree as I have seen enough people abuse the system and obtained lifetime paychecks for the most imaginary of things. People with legit illness I harbor no ill will towards and society should be taking care of them.
My wife works with a single Canadian able bodied woman who collects SNAP benefits. WTF. She was complaining a few weeks ago she didn't have enough money left on her SNAP card to get another round of energy drinks. WTF.

I would imagine that most of us know someone who is nearly or completely disabled and unable to take care of themselves or anyone else. That's a totally legit use of welfare. But the scenario you described is seen all too often. Temporary, basic sustenance for able-bodied people who are down on their luck is one thing. But making a better living off the system that someone who is scraping by on a meager existence, but doing it themselves, is simply not right. Who's policing the funds?

#820 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If you don't like the environment - don't work there. What justifies being a shitty person as a form of 'pay back'??

Since you seem to be stuck on this one little aspect of the conversation, and I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but would you rather have a somewhat warm body or no body at all? If the option is bad, or none...which would you prefer, assuming you aren't willing to change anything?

#821 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

As someone working in healthcare I'm against this.
Anything touched by the state turns to crap, the money sticks to their fingers.
It benefits them, not you.

Ah yes, because the healthcare industry isn't crappy and completely overpriced, benefitting seedy corporate healthcare companies and their investors over the healthcare of their clients. I wait weeks to months to get an appointment now, have much higher copays and billing, and the level of care has dropped dramatically over the past decade. The healthcare industry in America is broken and overpriced.

#822 1 year ago

A major change needs to happen in regards to how healthcare and employment is done. I don't like that companies bypass this by only hiring part time. This is an example of them playing the system to their benefit. I realize there are use cases for part time employment, and ways to cut cost, but it is abused by many small/mid size companies. If your salaried full time employees are having to cover crazy hours because you refuse to employ anyone else at full time, then there needs to be regulations around it.

My company used to abuse this system and around the time the Obama thing came around they preemptively changed it. They never went back even though it fell through, and the quality of life for the workers is much better for it.

#823 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I don't get why people love to use some random anecdotal evidence to show how any program that helps average folk is automatically bad, meanwhile rich people continue to rob you blind on a daily basis. It's like rich people in the USA are some kind of untouchable gods that must be worshipped at all times regardless of how they constantly abuse the system, but Joe down the road abusing the food stamp system logically means that we must abolish the entire program and/or everyone must be a deadbeat.

#824 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I think there is only 2 suppliers in CT for healthcare facilities in CT. Not like you can run down to Wal-Mart for a few things when you have a few hundred people to feed.

Sysco and USFoods both operate in CT.

#825 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Since you seem to be stuck on this one little aspect of the conversation, and I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but would you rather have a somewhat warm body or no body at all? If the option is bad, or none...which would you prefer, assuming you aren't willing to change anything?

None - because dead weight costs and complicates your ability to hire in.

I want nothing to do with an employee who projects the attitude I responded to. If you are out to spite me, you're only going to cause more grief, more cost, and more trouble.

I'm not saying all jobs are rainbows and sunshine... but if your attitude is "the system sucks, so that empowers me to be a shitty employee by right" -- GTFO. You'll never do anything but waste time and space.

#826 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I don't get why people love to use some random anecdotal evidence to show how any program that helps average folk is automatically bad, meanwhile rich people continue to rob you blind on a daily basis. It's like rich people in the USA are some kind of untouchable gods that must be worshipped at all times regardless of how they constantly abuse the system, but Joe down the road abusing the food stamp system logically means that we must abolish the entire program and/or everyone must be a deadbeat.

It is mostly because there is this bullshit perception that all rich people got there by hard work. The richest of the rich didn't' get there by hard work, they got there by being someones kid. Yes there are many stories of people coming up from nothing to be rich, but it is much fewer than people realize, and typically it is more about who you know, where you are, and timing, than hard work.

You can do reasonable by hard work. I do believe that, I've done it. I do think personal accountability is a huge thing that is lacking in this age, but I also recognize that there are inherent things in this country that are designed to keep people down. The rich make laws that benefit the rich, not the poor/middle class.

#827 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Worked for C in the mid 90's - mid 00's

#828 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Ah yes, because the healthcare industry isn't crappy and completely overpriced, benefitting seedy corporate healthcare companies and their investors over the healthcare of their clients. I wait weeks to months to get an appointment now, have much higher copays and billing, and the level of care has dropped dramatically over the past decade. The healthcare industry in America is broken and overpriced.

How much is wasted on lawyers, insurance, government regulations, waste, reporting requirements? The list is about endless.

I throw away thousands of dollars of medical bandages & supplies because "they are expired" we are not allowed to donate unused medications to other residents or even have them shipped overseas to be used "per regulation"

I destroyed an easy $100k worth of drugs last week cleaning out medication storage. per regulation. State don't care.

And yet when i was a teen, my parents paid cash for my healthcare. Huh.

#829 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

None - because dead weight costs and complicates your ability to hire in.
I want nothing to do with an employee who projects the attitude I responded to. If you are out to spite me, you're only going to cause more grief, more cost, and more trouble.
I'm not saying all jobs are rainbows and sunshine... but if your attitude is "the system sucks, so that empowers me to be a shitty employee by right" -- GTFO. You'll never do anything but waste time and space.

And I agree, but the issue here is that, if you are only getting bad employees, there is more wrong here than just lazy workers.

#830 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Sysco and USFoods both operate in CT.

Our old company was Sysco, HPC is what the new management company uses.

#831 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Which avoids answering the question; if you don't know the costs and what the state allows/disallows or how they rob you blind you don't have the whole picture.

You're one location is an anecdote. You are typically end of life healthcare (from your posts, have to be working at a nursing home).

The whole picture is per capita spending and healthcare outcomes. The conclusions drawn from that in economic study after economic study are unassailable.

#832 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

And I agree, but the issue here is that, if you are only getting bad employees, there is more wrong here than just lazy workers.

You can try to suggest that - but you're still trying to make emotional, rather than factual or substantiated arguments. A stretch that is easily debunked by the common experiences and earlier cites.

You really going to argue there is something wrong with the business when people can't return phone calls? Or have the decency to own up to their own decision to not show up? Or literally, accept a job and ghost before even showing up for the first day of work?

How do you blame a system or employer for all those kinds of behaviors?

#833 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I don't get why people love to use some random anecdotal evidence to show how any program that helps average folk is automatically bad, meanwhile rich people continue to rob you blind on a daily basis.

I can rattle off a few more, I'm sure so could other folks.

Its just a particularly egregious example. My brother in law did deliveries for a food pantry (the program which has since been cut) whatever was not taken he brought to me and I freely gave it away to anyone who needed it here. There is legit people who are on the edge and SNAP card lady with the energy drink habit isn't one of them.

And yet there she is.

In a state with 3.5 million inhabitants and a $11.3 billion dollar yearly budget.

#834 1 year ago

You're one location is an anecdote. You are typically end of life healthcare (from your posts, have to be working at a nursing home).
The whole picture is per capita spending and healthcare outcomes. The conclusions drawn from that in economic study after economic study are unassailable.

Post-acute and nursing home, 50/50

And I have worked in other places, data about the same.

#835 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

cash for clunkers was awful and all around a gigantic failure. Fuck that program.

I saw a perfectly good Durango R/T scrapped.

What a waste.

#836 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You can try to suggest that - but you're still trying to make emotional, rather than factual or substantiated arguments. A stretch that is easily debunked by the common experiences and earlier cites.
You really going to argue there is something wrong with the business when people can't return phone calls? Or have the decency to own up to their own decision to not show up? Or literally, accept a job and ghost before even showing up for the first day of work?
How do you blame a system or employer for all those kinds of behaviors?

You are assuming I'm only referring to the business itself. In some cases that may be, but no I do not believe that is the at all the entire story. I too know people (who have questionable work ethics themselves) complaining about not being able to find people who want to work. I was just curious how you would handle a shortage of workers. Some fill the gaps and pray, and some make the rest of their people work harder. I for one am not a fan of the latter. In my experience those people are not rewarded for it.

The culture has always been, don't complain and be thankful you have a job. Those people are taken advantage of in most cases. The # of actual bosses who appreciate it and show it is small, because those people are usually just another cog in the wheel trying to get by in their own job. I think part of what we are seeing is a no...I won't be thankful I have a job. You should be thankful you have me. I realize that can problematic when they don't want to show up at all, but that might be what we are facing for awhile.

#837 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Was a Chrysler master tech from 1984 to 1988 ... As a "non-boomer" I was left with no straps to pull up.

Gen X starts in 1965. A master tech at barely 19 is impressive.

#838 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

As I have already pointed out- Some people can't get past the caricatures in their heads.

All business owners are scum and villains.

All labor is without fault and beyond question.

The truth is in the middle, for both parties in question.

Personally if a business is bad I simply don't give them my business. How many people have an IPhone? Apple contracts one of the largest sweatshops in Asia and is holding billions of profit overseas to avoid taxes and yet I know people who have to buy the latest model as soon as it is announced.

Don't give them your money.

#839 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Who's policing the funds?

the issue with "policing the funds" is that the cost of administration/oversight makes the program that much more expensive, there will still be "fraud" of whatever standards/requirements you try to set, and there will also be qualified recipients who are incorrectly rejected from receiving the benefit. (and you can always reap back the "undeserved" benefits through taxes, i.e. on the back-end, versus having to gatekeep on the front-end)

means-testing benefits is purely a political smokeshow. it sounds good to the opponents of whatever benefit is being provided, it is a compromise for the benefits' proponents, and it means that the actual beneficiaries are not *everyone* so when you cut the benefit back later on, or eliminate it completely, there's significantly less pushback, as an example look at how durable universal benefits like social security and medicare are compared to non-universal benefits like SNAP or TANF.

#840 1 year ago

My daughter worked at Starbucks late shift,at Closing time all sandwiches were thrown in the trash,She was able to bring them home instead and I delivered to Homeless people I saw on the streets.

#841 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

My daughter worked at Starbucks late shift,at Closing time all sandwiches were thrown in the trash,She was able to bring them home instead and I delivered to Homeless people I saw on the streets.

that's great but pretty sure that's theft according to starbucks corporate policy (edit: apparently not anymore, was until 2020), there are in fact plenty of corporations where corporate policy is to lock dumpsters or taint otherwise edible food when it's put in the dumpster.

#842 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Thing is, in many companies if this had been caught they'd have been fired. I don't know if Starbucks cares, but most places do.

#843 1 year ago

Gen X starts in 1965. A master tech at barely 19 is impressive.

Was master tech by '87, I took all training that was available, was ASE certified as well, though not a master on their books.

I got a 10 cent raise for every certification, so why not? If that is where the money is, sign me up.

Electrical diag, HVAC (R-12) drivability, transmission and engine overhaul. brakes, you name it. The only thing I was weak on was rear axles because we were a Chrysler Plymouth facility and most cars by then were FWD. When I went to work at the Dodge dealer across the street I got more practice there. They paid me $4 an hour to jump ship and current employer made no counter offer.

BYE.

#844 1 year ago

My way of doing things in my life was if I didnt like my job I kept it until I found a better one.And if you dont like a job start looking but never just shlep through it.When you take a job you agree to work and you know what your pay and benefits are if any.I have worked some crap jobs and later in life some very good ones.I can say many times in an interview I have been offered the Moon little did I know it was this Moon see photo

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#845 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

It kills my wife the store she works in discards food product.

They are suppose to drop the price 1/2 off by a certain date and then 3/4 off after but when the expire date is hit it goes in the locked dumpster.

What burns her ass is people NOT DOING THEIR JOB rotating the stock when the new stuff comes in and excess amounts are going right in the dumpster due to not being priced out in time.

#846 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It kills my wife the store she works in discards food product.
They are suppose to drop the price 1/2 off by a certain date and then 3/4 off after but when the expire date is hit it goes in the locked dumpster.
What burns her ass is people NOT DOING THEIR JOB rotating the stock when the new stuff comes in and excess amounts are going right in the dumpster due to not being priced out in time.

Yes its crazy the amount of waste we produce,Would be nice if we could figure out ways to use some of these things.I know some places donate to food banks and such,I would like to see more.

#847 1 year ago
Quoted from misterschu:

that's great but pretty sure that's theft according to starbucks corporate policy (edit: apparently not anymore, was until 2020), there are in fact plenty of corporations where corporate policy is to lock dumpsters or taint otherwise edible food when it's put in the dumpster.

I think you are correct it probably was technically wrong.

#848 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

How much is wasted on lawyers, insurance, government regulations, waste, reporting requirements? The list is about endless.
I throw away thousands of dollars of medical bandages & supplies because "they are expired" we are not allowed to donate unused medications to other residents or even have them shipped overseas to be used "per regulation"
I destroyed an easy $100k worth of drugs last week cleaning out medication storage. per regulation. State don't care.
And yet when i was a teen, my parents paid cash for my healthcare. Huh.

These are hardly the biggest problems with the healthcare industry in the U.S. and I see you making alot of excuses for an industry that has made record profits off of the American people while their services have declined, life expectancy has declined, and prices for healthcare have climbed astronomically. Most of the regulations that are in place are because these companies were using shoddy, expired products and making people sick for so long the people demanded government step in a regulate them. Part of government's job is to protect consumers through regulation, it's bull for corporations to blame their worse services costing more on a few regulations, paying their employees terribly, etc. while they make record profits.

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

These are hardly the biggest problems with the healthcare industry in the U.S. and I see you making alot of excuses for an industry that has made record profits off of the American people while their services have declined, life expectancy has declined, and prices for healthcare have climbed astronomically. Most of the regulations that are in place are because these companies were using shoddy, expired products and making people sick for so long the people demanded government step in a regulate them. Part of government's job is to protect consumers through regulation, it's bull for corporations to blame their worse services costing more on a few regulations, paying their employees terribly, etc. while they make record profits.

My insurance is billed 650 bucks for a 5 minute telephone/skype Doctors appointment.But there are better examples of waste and abuse for sure.

#850 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

These are hardly the biggest problems with the healthcare industry in the U.S. and I see you making alot of excuses for an industry that has made record profits off of the American people while their services have declined, life expectancy has declined, and prices for healthcare have climbed astronomically.

1) I can only opine on what I see on my end.

2) You have to start somewhere; throwing out perfectly good supplies only benefits the companies who make them. Explain to me how it harms the consumer donating unused drugs to another resident when the first resident has passed away or discharged.

Again, some large company is doing well and its not helping the consumer.

Nothing to say about they state robbing us on income due to a stupid decree that makes no sense?

Your family member could be stuck in a hospital because the state has arbitrarily decided people with equal vaccine rates cant be in a room together for 10 days. How stupid.

There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/employment-issues-amp-work-ethic-8-2022-/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.