• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Burned Coil (resized).jpg
Replacement Coil (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello Experts - I am not one. Just posting this questions proves I am NOT an expert. I want to know if I can substitute SG-23 850-DC coil in place of the burned up G23 750 DC coil. The first coil is from a Williams Alien Poker that I am parting out. The coil that burned up cuz it got stuck open is in a Williams Grand Prix.

What do you think? Can you educate me on whether this is a good or bad idea please ! Thanks much, Jim

Burned Coil (resized).jpgBurned Coil (resized).jpgReplacement Coil (resized).jpgReplacement Coil (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I've actually done exactly this before on my grand prix. Works fine, but it's a bit weaker.

#3 5 years ago

Is the coil frame the same size?

Thinking the SG may be a hair longer than the G?

#4 5 years ago

Do we know WHY the coil burnt up before we replace it ?

#5 5 years ago

I was cleaning the playfield and flipped one of the rubbers behind the switch and the switch was stuck on. I've replaced the coil, but now none of the bumpers nor the kickers work. Ideas ? I've check the fuses, no luck, all tested fine.

#6 5 years ago

Did you check the 1 amp SLO blow fuse on the underside of the playfield.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. So, after frying the lower left side sling coil because I had the rubber wrapped around the switch and kept it on, I've been busy learning and repairing. I did use the substitute SG-23 850-DC coil in place of the burned up G23 750 DC coil. On the entire game, only two of the coils have diodes on them. The two slings of course. The alien poker coil had a diode on it as well, good deal. Hooked it up and since I didn't carefully check the direction of the diode..... the God of Hell Fire showed up and huge sparks started flying out of the switches under the sling plastic when the ball hit the switches. Fun !!! I cut off the diode, reversed it and put it back in. Better, but still shooting sparks. So either that diode was no good or just not big enough. I cut the old diode off the burned coil with hopes it survived the original burn up. It did thank goodness, problem solved. Thanks much. BTW, the new coil is just as snappy, maybe even more snappy than the old one. Good deal.

#8 5 years ago

If you put a coil on backwards it almost always destroys the diode. Technically, as it's an EM, it will work without the diode. It's better to have them but not like on ss where they're required

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/emergency-coil-replacement- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.