View topic image gallery

1-FLUX-WIRED-2.jpg
WP_20151023_11_16_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20151023_11_18_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20151023_11_18_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20151023_11_15_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20151023_11_15_07_Pro.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello Everyone! I received this Embryon as a gift about 3 years ago, and although I've put some work into it, there is still a ton I don't know about it. Since receiving it, I've recapped the sound board, replaced faulty transistors on the light board, rebuilt the Power/Rectifier board and replaced the blown cabinet speaker. I replaced the flippers with blue translucent flippers, put new rubber rings on the playfield, and replaced some solenoids and leaf switches. I had it pretty much fully functional, minus some missing parts. However I got really into my MAME machine and couldn't focus on both at the same time. Embryon was a Huge hit at parties, until recently half of the lights on the playfield stopped functioning and I haven't been able to find out why. I'm also focusing on getting the missing parts for this machine.

When I received it, it was missing a few drop targets which I've recently replaced with replicas, however I'm missing one of the pivot pins and the E Clips that go with it. (Picture attached) I've spent a long time looking for the part number, and even ordered a few off of Marco Specialties but they were the wrong size. This is a 1/4" Diameter pin 5/8" long, does anybody know the part number for it as well as the e clips? WP_20151023_11_16_08_Pro.jpgWP_20151023_11_16_08_Pro.jpg

This Embryon was also missing the entire flipsave flipper assembly. Does anybody of anyone parting out an Embryon machine, or if I can piece together a new assembly from new parts? When my friends and I were really into this game, it was disappointing to earn the flipsave, hear it activate and watch the ball fall right past where the flipper should be!WP_20151023_11_15_07_Pro.jpgWP_20151023_11_15_07_Pro.jpg

And lastly, can anybody point me in the right direction for trying to get the flashing lights functioning again? They just stopped all of the sudden one night and I haven't been able to get them working since! WP_20151023_11_18_41_Pro.jpgWP_20151023_11_18_41_Pro.jpgWhen all lights were functioning, I used to be able to go to the light test diagnostic and all lights on the field would blink, now going to the diagnostic does nothing. The lights that do function stay on, but no activity from the blinking lights.
I recently purchased a new Aux Drive SCR flasher board with a diagnostic LED. The LED is not lit when the game is powered on, I'm assuming all lights that flash are on a different circuit than some of the ambient lighting. Where do I need to start diagnosing? I've been replacing burnt out bulbs as I go. WP_20151023_11_15_35_Pro.jpgWP_20151023_11_15_35_Pro.jpg

I'm not an electrician, but I do have a multimeter and can solder. Just need some direction!

Future plans are LEDs, replacement playfield plastics and would like to replace the MPU and Lamp driver boards with ULTIMATE replacements.

Thanks!

WP_20151023_11_18_53_Pro.jpgWP_20151023_11_18_53_Pro.jpg

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Joshuaisarocker:

and the E Clips that go with it.

Get one of those Eclip assortments from HF and you will have all the sizes you'll ever need for $5 (along with some giant ones you will never use unless you work on lawnmowers).

http://www.harborfreight.com/300-piece-e-clip-assortment-67653.html

#3 8 years ago

This Embryon was also missing the entire flipsave flipper assembly. Does anybody of anyone parting out an Embryon machine, or if I can piece together a new assembly from new parts?

It was the same as a regular flipper assembly, so you could just buy a new one, or steal one from any Classic Bally.

#4 8 years ago

Light issue: Sounds like you have no switched illumination. Check TP-1 on the power supply for 6.5vdc. If it's not there, check F1, 20amp fuse.

If the switched illumination buss has power, check lamp driver board J4, or MPU board J1.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Get one of those Eclip assortments from HF and you will have all the sizes you'll ever need for $5 (along with some giant ones you will never use unless you work on lawnmowers).
http://www.harborfreight.com/300-piece-e-clip-assortment-67653.html

Do you know the part number for the shaft? I'll pick up the e clip assortment thanks.

Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

Light issue: Sounds like you have no switched illumination. Check TP-1 on the power supply for 6.5vdc. If it's not there, check F1, 20amp fuse.
If the switched illumination buss has power, check lamp driver board J4, or MPU board J1.

Valid, yes I have low voltage on TP-1, like 1.2vdc. I put new rectifiers and diodes on the board. How do I track down the culprit?

Thanks

#6 8 years ago

Do you know the part number for the shaft?

S-739-258

#7 8 years ago

Valid, yes I have low voltage on TP-1, like 1.2vdc. I put new rectifiers and diodes on the board. How do I track down the culprit?

Are your fuse clips darkened?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Are your fuse clips darkened?

No, I recently replaced those as well. I just got done reflowing some of the solder on the board, and my voltage is correct now, but now the rectifier is getting HOT!!! I noticed the game did no boot correctly after putting the board back on. I flipped the rectifiers on top of the board with heatsinks. The board was in pretty rough shape to begin with, is this something that is replaced completely?

#9 8 years ago

I flipped the rectifiers on top of the board with heatsinks. The board was in pretty rough shape to begin with, is this something that is replaced completely?

A whole new board is inexpensive, because it is such a simple circuit. ~$60

But, at the same time because it is so simple, it is usually an easy fix.

#10 8 years ago

Ensure the bridges are installed correctly with respect to polarity. Same with the diodes.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A whole new board is inexpensive, because it is such a simple circuit. ~$60
But, at the same time because it is so simple, it is usually an easy fix.

Well the new board did it! Most of the lights are functioning now, I'm just working on some of the missing features like the flipsave. I bought a 2" Yellow flipper and a flipper assembly as well. I'll have to cut the bracket for the flipper assembly so that it will clear the flipsave light. I was also wandering if anyone knew where I can get a red translucent flipper? It is a 2" flipper correct?

Also, does anyone know where we can get an exact replacement light sockets?
I've been using this one, but I'd prefer the original sockets if they are available.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=293

Thanks for the help everyone!

#12 8 years ago

Also, does anyone know where we can get an exact replacement light sockets?

Those were the worst made sockets in the world.

If I ever found a box of new ones, I would burn them so they could not be dug up someday in a dump in New Mexico.

Anytime I restore an 80s bally, all the #555 sockets go in the shitbin, and are replaced by real metal #44 ones.

#13 8 years ago

I'll have to cut the bracket for the flipper assembly so that it will clear the flipsave light.

Will a flex LED work?

1-FLUX-WIRED-2.jpg1-FLUX-WIRED-2.jpg

#14 8 years ago

Those were the worst made sockets in the world.

We thought the original 47 sockets were bad, until they foisted the 555s
upon us!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.