IMG_20230818_010214925 (resized).jpg
embryon (resized).jpg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7123 (resized).jpeg
detail (resized).jpg
BF91E0D4-D7DF-44C6-899C-45F117F6EB26 (resized).jpeg
3628C1C8-372F-4F63-8057-FBF8BC40A13A (resized).jpeg
99D58CF7-9BE9-4645-812B-92128CDA9D1C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1 month later
#101 10 years ago

I was over at spybryon's house rebuilding flippers with him, and noticed he sorely needs new flipper return frames.

Do you have ball hop in your Embryon at all? Take a close look at your flipper return frames and see how smooth the top edge is... I have gone through all my machines and I've purchased new frames from Cliffy to get the smoothest play possible.

If you'd like a new set, please post here, and PM me. thanks!

I'd like to put a pre-order list together and help arrange to get a new set built by Cliffy who lives near me.

thanks!
-mof

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Thanks mof! Sign me up...
Also, pinside user EEE would like to be on the list.

Ok, good. That's three. Who else would like new flipper return frames?
-mof

2 weeks later
#127 10 years ago

Room for one more in the club?

I'll open up a new thread in a week or so with the restoration progress. Lots of details to clean up, but game works and plays well. (At least it did at his house!) Haven't unwrapped it yet...

-mof

201403-EMB-unloading.jpg201403-EMB-unloading.jpg

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

Nice mof! Eager to hear what you think of it.

I can't wait to form an opinion on this pin!

This example is a little rough, it will need ~15 hours of tough love to really get a sense of the game.

I've got it pitched, leveled, and new flipper assemblies on there, and that's it for now. It's a little creaky.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-a-light-40-hour-shop-job

-mof

#130 10 years ago

Twisted Pin Stencils for Embryon.
http://www.twistedpins.com/products/?ProductID=91

Can anyone vouch for this set being helpful ?

thanks!
-mof

#139 10 years ago

I'm trying to get this Embryon set up for 3-ball, and three free balls at 400,000 - 700,000 - and 999,999 -- using front door adjustments 1,2,3.

I set 16 and 17 to "02" for "free ball"

I play to 400,000 and no free ball is given.

Is there some secret additional setting that must go along with setting 16 and 17?

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I think freeball on ballys has to be 500k plus in to activate. but on embryon you get a free ball or game every time you flip the machine anyway.

The card I have is for 400,000 and 700,000 and I was hoping that I could translate the replay at those levels into free-balls ?

I guess I can go try a game with the glass off and see if it's giving the free game at 700,000.

-mof

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I think you have done it correctly. I have my machine set almost the same, 3 ball, and extra balls at 400k, 700k, and 900k and they all work fine. Have you set the actual scoring thresholds correctly via the front door adjustment (settings 01, 02, 03)?

Yes.

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I always start with really small values so I can run them through quickly by hand with the glass off and then raise them to the final values I want.

Not sure what you meant here -- which reminds me, how do you set the 1,2,3 scores to an exact number like 400,000. I think I had to settle for 396,380 etc...

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Check dip switch 29, it turns on or off the award of a credit with reaching score thresholds, it may also control extra balls when replays are not selected.

29 eh? Where do you reckon it ought to be, I'm at work, but I figure I have it set to "on"

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

One thing with these age of Bally's is they cannot remember multiple extra balls. If I light it by sinking the three upper right target for instance at the right time ad the extra ball light goes on and I then go over 400k, I only get the one free ball. I sometimes try to strategically lose my ball at the right time as a result.

Really? That's very good to know.

#145 10 years ago

Has anyone tried some lighting options for Embryon?
I'm currently 100% incandescent, and would like to hear about and see some options.
To start with, cool white or warm white GI, and why? or mix/match it?
I feel like there is a lot of dark green artwork that is hard to see in the center.
-mof

#146 10 years ago

7-digit displays.
Who's done and upgrade, and what's involved?
thanks!
-mof

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I tried some cool white GI LEDs, and on Embryon it looks pretty reasonable but eventually switched to warm white LEDs. I ultimately put in LEDs everywhere. Under the orange inserts I tried some orange LEDs but it looked overly yellow so I switched to white to preserve the orange that I liked.
I just realized I don't have current pictures but here the left and right target GI is cool white LED and the slingshot areas are warm white LEDs. The insert lights are still 555s at this point. At the top you can glimpse some red GI LEDs at the shooter area and the left top GIs are orange.

IMG_2726.JPG 305 KB
IMG_2725.JPG 327 KB

I like your approach.

Wait, what is that lit plastic in the apron?

-mof

#151 10 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

The lit light on the left is a common Bally credits available light. If you have credits on the machine, and the bulb works, then it is on. The one on the right side of the apron is a ball plunge from the saucer using the flipper button for a two + player games. You will seldom see it lit.

lol, ty!
-mof

#153 10 years ago

Has anyone solved the LOS issues with the top two bulbs (line of sight).
Driving me nuts. They are blinding.
-mof

201403-EMB-LOS-bulbs.jpg201403-EMB-LOS-bulbs.jpg

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

When you first look at the scoring threshold, hit reset to make it a clean 0, then use the credit button to increment to what you want. I think Embryon counts in 10000 pt increments.
I think 29 should be on.
What I meant was to set the threshold to things like 20k, 40k, and 60k and with the glass off manually hit things to test the score threshold.

here are my dip switches...

-mof

29 is on.
201403-EMB-my-dips.jpg201403-EMB-my-dips.jpg

#157 10 years ago

And, I'm officially in da club. =)
-mof

201403-EMB-flipper-view.jpg201403-EMB-flipper-view.jpg

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

I just got one too. It was dead but I just threw the Alltek from my Stars in it and it sprang to life! The flashers aren't working however, there are 912's in their sockets. Are those correct? Is there a test mode for the flashers? Thanks for the help. Engage Embryon!

My flashers are not working either.

Has anyone tackled the flashers issue in Embryon?

I found a nice link here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/62294-13-embryon-flasher-problem

-mof

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I think you have done it correctly. I have my machine set almost the same, 3 ball, and extra balls at 400k, 700k, and 900k and they all work fine. Have you set the actual scoring thresholds correctly via the front door adjustment (settings 01, 02, 03)? I always start with really small values so I can run them through quickly by hand with the glass off and then raise them to the final values I want.
Check dip switch 29, it turns on or off the award of a credit with reaching score thresholds, it may also control extra balls when replays are not selected.
One thing with these age of Bally's is they cannot remember multiple extra balls. If I light it by sinking the three upper right target for instance at the right time ad the extra ball light goes on and I then go over 400k, I only get the one free ball. I sometimes try to strategically lose my ball at the right time as a result.

Progress!

I now get a free ball at 400,000 but NOT at 700,000.

I clicked the red button in the backbox, and it reset the score to 000,000. From there I held the start button until it reached 400,000. I did the same for 700,000. I wish I knew why I am not getting the second free ball.

I also see how you can't get two free balls at a time. This is very interesting... It adds to the strategy a little bit.

-mof

1 week later
#166 10 years ago

Can someone please take a shot of the wiring to their right flipper button? I didn't check my work while taking photos, and mine came out blurry...

thanks!
-mof

Post edited by mof: (I meant button!) doh!

2 months later
#201 9 years ago

This guy needs new apron decals. Has anyone talked to pinball rescue about printing up some "blue on clear" to help us out?
-mof
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-what-not-to-do-with-your-apron

#202 9 years ago

Can someone please take 10 minutes and shoot me a couple pics of their flipper button wirings?
thanks!
(solved.) It was wired incorrectly. Fixed.
-mof

Quoted from mof:

Can someone please take a shot of the wiring to their right flipper button? I didn't check my pics while taking photos, and mine came out blurry...

2 weeks later
#214 9 years ago

Questions:

1. How do you make the orange round center light flash for E-M-B-R-Y-O-N ?

2. What does it mean when the guy says "embryon activated" or whatever? I noticed it cane happen well before you finish all 7 letters to spell embryon.

3. How do you light up the spinner to rip it for 1000?

-mof

1 week later
#219 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

Started disassembling my Embryon PF today to be restored by HSA Pinball. Pics AND video to follow! The main PF area was easy to remove all the parts. The underside of the PF is a REAL TEDIOUS job! There are staples that hold the bare ground wire to all the under PF lights (GI and CPU) where you need to remove them. I'm stripping all the parts to where its only the bare PF wood panel to be sent out to Arkansas. See the link below of brian's last restoration! Can't wait to see mine done!
http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa61.html

I may want to go this route next year, let us know how it turns out.
-mof

#223 9 years ago

Just blew away my previous high score of 1.4mil ... 2.8mil... yikes.
This game *really* needs 7-digit display installed at some point.
-mof

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Doing the 7 digit conversion to mine now with new BLUE LED displays.

IF you were to open up a thread and show progress, you'd inspire a lot of us to give it a try!
-mof

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

6.5 hours or so since I started disassembling the PF down to the plywood...here is what we got! i took my time and cateloged all the parts by area. I used the old glass to slide all the hardware from the PF to it, and then wrapped it in a moving blanket resting it on top of the machine till I get the PF back. Lord help me it wont take that long to reassemble!

6.5 hours? You are a frickin' speed demon. Took me like 10 hours my first pop at a tear-down!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-tear-down-sorcerer

As for tumbling/polishing everything, and rebuilding the PF, I've been hearing numbers between 60-80 hours from various folks. When I start my HS tear-down / CPR re-build, I'll track and show every hour.

If you would open a thread for your re-build that would be awesome, and track your time. Really helps motivate people "SEE" how it's just a series of XYZ steps to getting it all put back together... One step at a time.

-mof

1 week later
1 month later
#259 9 years ago

Has anyone ever solved flipper chatter on their Embryon upper right flipper?

It just started last night...

-mof

#261 9 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

It needs to be rebuilt with new parts

I molexed the connection to the upper flipper, de-soldered all the wiring, and re-wired and soldered it. I also cleaned out all the parts.

No difference.

I'm still left wondering:

1. Can a poor connection issue somewhere else cause the chatter? (I'm not yet clear how the wiring works on Embryon)
2. If not, does this mean I have to replace the solenoid next?

thanks,
-mof

1 week later
#277 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Coil could have a broken low power winding. If it is "machine gunning", then typically that's what it is. Normally they break right where the low power winding wire attaches to it's lug & you can just carefully unwrap it one turn, sand off the insulating varnish on the end, & re-solder to the lug.
If the low power winding is broken the coil will behave as it should thru the high power windings -- but when the EOS switch opens & power is sent to the low power side of course it just falls back & closes the EOS switch, thus endlessly cycling the flipper coil.

It was the coil. Replaced it, and Embryon is good for another 100 solid games before our next adventure!
-mof

2 months later
#307 9 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I usually replace all the 555 sockets when I restore one of my machines (see pic) If you need some of the originals get a hold of me i have boxes full of ones i have stripped off other playfields.

That looks really cool - can you say more about what you've done here, why, and what the advantages are?

-mof

3 months later
#328 9 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Just became a member of the club!

Welcome to the awesomeness that is embryon!!!
-mof

2 weeks later
#335 9 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I am guessing that you have it set to a replay earns an extra ball and the replay is set very low.

YEP. Nice sleuthing. Someone did that to "coin up" instead of just adding credits.
-mof

2 months later
#337 8 years ago

Such a great game. Walked up after not playing it a few weeks, an put up a million last night (2 free balls) and of course didn't break 200k after that...

I tried to earn a free ball off the left drops, and ALMOST got it. I was testing to see whether that is truly a sucker shot, and I decided I would not rate it as such, compared to say, shooting an angled center 3-drop with the left flipper (Gorgar/Taxi, etc)

I think I almost threw out my shoulder trying to nudge the game a little. Such a beast.

I will keep dreaming of CPR re-doing this PF in the future. I'll be the first in line.

Still in my top-20 all time...

-mof

3 months later
#358 8 years ago

Strategery.

I tried earning a free ball on the left-bank of targets for the first time ever. Every 3-4 balls I can get all 3 targets down, but I cannot figure out how in the world to score the captive ball shot. And then you have to do this 4x on ONE ball???

I hope there's a memory setting for it, that's the first thing I'll change. I like to make it fun to reach free balls in games, and not have it just be a score-related free ball.

My closest shot was live-shooting a backhand, I think that had enough force, but now were talking crazy low % shot.

-mof

#359 8 years ago

NEXT question...

Much easier one...

WTF does the red "special when lit" mean when it's lit -- red insert in the middle of the PF -- how do I earn a special at that point?

thanks,
mof

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Special when lit is when you max out your bonuses I think. Its been a while since playing as my game is in resto mode.

ok so how do you earn it.

11 months later
#412 7 years ago

Great news...
I'm heading over to Cliffy's in two weeks to see how we can improve on these ball-hoppin flipper return frames that come stock with Embryon. =)
I'll announce another update after I've tested the prototype in 6-8 weeks or so.
-mof

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

swinging gates

No -- flipper return frames -- just next to each flipper.

1 year later
#441 6 years ago

Great news Embryon owners.

I've installed and tested the enhanced flipper return frames from Cliff, and they are fantastic.
He took the initiative to not just enhance them in making them slightly "taller" into the lane, they are even slightly longer -- inching closer towards the flippers, which reduces ball hop even further, by getting that tiny corner lip out a little more over the flipper "hinge"

They are available for purchase today.

-mof

3 weeks later
#449 6 years ago

Get your enhanced cliffy frames in the mail...
Mof

6 months later
8 months later
#470 4 years ago

Sell: $1600
Buy: $1200

Backglass and Playfield are king on this one, with no replacement solutions out there.
-mof

2 months later
#498 4 years ago

Can you link us to info on the home rom re: rule changes

1 month later
#501 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

What do I do

Dremel and about ten minutes.
Be sure and polish them too.
Mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-owners-club-fans-also-welcome?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.