Topic Stats

• 559 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by dluth
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 297 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

emb (resized).JPG
DE05FA1B-38CA-4521-B0A8-1FF494D89E60 (resized).jpeg
20191224_131718 (resized).jpg
3DEBD815-1269-4EFF-81A5-6C7798C20AD2 (resized).jpeg
3471CBE7-EA0A-41E9-9E0C-E41CAAB56429 (resized).jpeg
2BD67F18-9967-478B-A995-A2F0CBC6BEAE (resized).jpeg
4CCE3E4D-B2C3-4DC9-BE3E-75D65C771BF1 (resized).jpeg
5D38700B-64DF-4B7E-93E0-79771A1947B8 (resized).jpeg
09DDC0E8-448D-42D1-9A1C-19B50E8B2D76 (resized).jpeg
7DC40790-9985-41E2-8E56-FB0F2B205860 (resized).jpeg
A2794E95-F57F-402F-94A9-7461DCBC4D3D (resized).jpeg
C767163D-C319-4ED6-AFAC-8E4822997AEB (resized).jpeg
67725698-AC6A-405E-A578-3970DAB95953 (resized).jpeg
2019-10-22 13_10_01-Flipper Return Frames (resized).png
11EC7FDF-0FF2-4139-BABF-FBD7DAE2A960 (resized).jpeg
BEF9433B-B12F-4A5D-866C-3B7C7E4E0F1D (resized).jpeg

There are 559 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 12.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

The lit light on the left is a common Bally credits available light. If you have credits on the machine, and the bulb works, then it is on. The one on the right side of the apron is a ball plunge from the saucer using the flipper button for a two + player games. You will seldom see it lit.

lol, ty!
-mof

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

7-digit displays.
Who's done and upgrade, and what's involved?
thanks!
-mof

Here are some instructions:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

First the hardware modifications need to be done as described, on a small board constructed, and a new EPROM with 7 digit modification burned and installed (quoted):

1) replace the four player 6-digit displays with 7-digit displays
2) Make a little hardwaremodification
3) burn the one file on 2732 eprom (Position U6) , take the other one from Marvin (U2) (bly2732.zip)

#153 6 years ago

Has anyone solved the LOS issues with the top two bulbs (line of sight).
Driving me nuts. They are blinding.
-mof

201403-EMB-LOS-bulbs.jpg

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

When you first look at the scoring threshold, hit reset to make it a clean 0, then use the credit button to increment to what you want. I think Embryon counts in 10000 pt increments.
I think 29 should be on.
What I meant was to set the threshold to things like 20k, 40k, and 60k and with the glass off manually hit things to test the score threshold.

here are my dip switches...

-mof

29 is on.
201403-EMB-my-dips.jpg

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

7-digit displays.
Who's done and upgrade, and what's involved?
thanks!
-mof

Yeah i just did one its pretty strait forward as long as everything is proper with your boards if your sound board has issues or locks up the software will act goofy. the light show on V9 is pretty cool not spectacular like say a system11 but a nice touch

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:tried some cool white GI LEDs, and on Embryon it looks pretty reasonable but eventually switched to warm white LEDs. I ultimately put in LEDs everywhere. Under the orange inserts I tried some orange LEDs but it looked overly yellow so I switched to white to preserve the orange that I liked.

Ive done several embryons the cool looks ok but its pretty harsh on the eyes becouse o the grey but i found the neon warm white leds seem to look the best and are the nicest on the eyes.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone solved the LOS issues with the top two bulbs (line of sight).
Driving me nuts. They are blinding.
-mof

201403-EMB-LOS-bulbs.jpg 85 KB

That is pretty easy to fix. I don't have the problem on Embryon but I have two lights blinding me on my High Speed. I took a tiny square of black electrical tape and put in on my side of the bulb, works really well.

Thinking about it on my Embryon they are red so not as bright.

#157 6 years ago

And, I'm officially in da club. =)
-mof

201403-EMB-flipper-view.jpg

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

I just got one too. It was dead but I just threw the Alltek from my Stars in it and it sprang to life! The flashers aren't working however, there are 912's in their sockets. Are those correct? Is there a test mode for the flashers? Thanks for the help. Engage Embryon!

My flashers are not working either.

Has anyone tackled the flashers issue in Embryon?

I found a nice link here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/62294-13-embryon-flasher-problem

-mof

#159 6 years ago

Prolly just one of the bulbs are burnt out or the aux board connector.

#160 6 years ago

Hello fellow embryon owners. Quick question... the red circle target behind the single drop target, mine doesnt have a diode on it, and the switch itself is a "closed switch" I looked at it in the manual and it is labeled "0" and doesnt show up in switch test. Could someone explain this, is this correct?

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Hello fellow embryon owners. Quick question... the red circle target behind the single drop target, mine doesnt have a diode on it, and the switch itself is a "closed switch" I looked at it in the manual and it is labeled "0" and doesnt show up in switch test. Could someone explain this, is this correct?

That red target is in series with the drop target, so it does not need a diode, it is really part of the drop target that way. On mine, the target had a diode but the wire had been soldered onto the wrong tab bypassing the diode completely (and looked like a factory error). I had all sorts of weird behaviour where multi-ball would trigger off random other events.

The red standing target switch is normally closed so that when the drop target drops it closes its own switch that is held closed and the MPU sees the closure because both switches are closed. When the ball rolls up and hits the target, the circuit is broken at the red target without the need for the drop target to move. Then the MPU knows to reset the target.

#162 6 years ago

Sold the mpu board.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I think you have done it correctly. I have my machine set almost the same, 3 ball, and extra balls at 400k, 700k, and 900k and they all work fine. Have you set the actual scoring thresholds correctly via the front door adjustment (settings 01, 02, 03)? I always start with really small values so I can run them through quickly by hand with the glass off and then raise them to the final values I want.
Check dip switch 29, it turns on or off the award of a credit with reaching score thresholds, it may also control extra balls when replays are not selected.
One thing with these age of Bally's is they cannot remember multiple extra balls. If I light it by sinking the three upper right target for instance at the right time ad the extra ball light goes on and I then go over 400k, I only get the one free ball. I sometimes try to strategically lose my ball at the right time as a result.

Progress!

I now get a free ball at 400,000 but NOT at 700,000.

I clicked the red button in the backbox, and it reset the score to 000,000. From there I held the start button until it reached 400,000. I did the same for 700,000. I wish I knew why I am not getting the second free ball.

I also see how you can't get two free balls at a time. This is very interesting... It adds to the strategy a little bit.

-mof

#164 6 years ago

Set option 17 to 02
Set option 01 to 400,000
Set option 02 to 700,000

Working?

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Set option 17 to 02
Set option 01 to 400,000
Set option 02 to 700,000
Working?

If this doesn't work, also

set option 03 to XXX,XXX

and see if that score you set scores an extra ball.

option 01, 02, 03 are three "scoring thresholds" in the game described on page 8 of manual.

Option 17 is the high score feature described on page 4a and page 6 of manual.

1 week later
#166 6 years ago

Can someone please take a shot of the wiring to their right flipper button? I didn't check my work while taking photos, and mine came out blurry...

thanks!
-mof

Post edited by mof: (I meant button!) doh!

#167 6 years ago

Here you go. Todd Scott image-598.jpg

#168 6 years ago

Hellfire... you interested in touching up another Embryon playfield?
IMGP6778 (Medium).JPG
IMGP6779 (Medium)-567.JPG

Okay... it's a bit more work than just touching up.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from leelaw:

Not that one lol

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from leelaw:

Okay... it's a bit more work than just touching up.

IMGP6778 (Medium).JPG 159 KB

I only recently got into the pinball at home idea and Embryon was the second machine I bought. I have only had it since October. But one thing is my playfield has mylar on it and except where a moron used too long a screw and poked into the playfield I feel lucky that it is in such nice shape after seeing what others look like.

On the other hand I think I got it for a good price because it had tons of ghosts in the electronics to deal with. I seem to be the first guy to put a scope on the machine and measure exactly why these old Ballys can have phantom bumper pops.

#171 6 years ago

I'm glad my Embryon was taken care of over the years. Yeah it does have some typical wear you see in the game, but it could have been alot worse. Eventually I will have the PF restored.

20140420_151311.jpg
20140420_151326.jpg
20140420_151723.jpg
20140420_151236.jpg
20140420_151251.jpg
20140420_151259.jpg

#172 6 years ago

Does anyone here own an Embryon and a Paragon? I am trying to build up the correct sound board wiring harness for a paragon and could use some assistance.hnks.

1 week later
#173 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Does anyone here own an Embryon and a Paragon? I am trying to build up the correct sound board wiring harness for a paragon and could use some assistance.hnks.

Do you need a picture of the connector?

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

Do you need a picture of the connector?

Thanks. I actually got a response to this request and a few pictures are now posted on the Paragon Owners thread.

1 week later
#175 6 years ago

I am unable to figure out the "Special when Lit" in a couple of places in the game. I have been manually operating the machine with the glass off to try and figure it out. I have pretty much all settings per the recommended ones for a 3 ball game.

The lower center of the playfield special I just cannot figure out when it lights. I have played with everything (yes the bulb works).

The left and right outlane specials I mostly have figured out. For those I have to spell Embryon, lock the ball in the saucer, achieve multi-ball, then lose one of the balls, then spell Embryon fully. What I cannot figure out consistently is if I have to drain the second ball first sometimes or not. Just when I figure it out, it seems to be a little different.

For the rotating lights at the top of the PF, it seems I have to get every combination of extra ball, multiplier, and spots letter, then the red light starts blinking. I don't see how anyone could ever play that well, but maybe someone here has.

#176 6 years ago

BJM, I have the game set to liberal recommended settings. The "Special When Lit" in the outlanes to the left and for the flipsave do not light until you complete EMBRYON to activate Life Support for a 2nd time in a game. The SWL in the center next to the bonus 40 lights until you hit over 400k I believe, and the game knocks for a free game.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

BJM, I have the game set to liberal recommended settings. The "Special When Lit" in the outlanes to the left and for the flipsave do not light until you complete EMBRYON to activate Life Support for a 2nd time in a game. The SWL in the center next to the bonus 40 lights until you hit over 400k I believe, and the game knocks for a free game.

Would the center SWL light be tied to the first scoring threshold? I have mine set to 400k too, then 700k, then 900k. I do not recall seeing that light do anything, when I clear 400k, the SPSA orange light just comes on with a characteristic sound. I will check again though.

#178 6 years ago

Sounds good. I think a video may help better than describing in words. It depends on the settings of the game. I've been meaning to make my settings harder because I'm simply too evil good on this game! I can turn it over 1 million twice in a game if I'm really determined.

2 weeks later
#179 6 years ago

Hey guys, my friend Scott is selling his Embryon on this thread! Hit em up if you are interested!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collection-for-sale-in-connecticut

#180 6 years ago

I'm picking up a Embryon tonight !! There are a few spots with playfield wear but hopefully a now one comes around or somebody makes some.

Does anyone know what silver I can get to touch up some bad areas on the head & cabinet? Thanks for all of your posts.

#181 6 years ago

krylon nickel is prolly your closest match

#182 6 years ago

Thanks Hellfire. Do you touch spots on your pf or just leave it?

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thanks Hellfire. Do you touch spots on your pf or just leave it?

Yes i restore the playfields on all my machines unless new ones are available check pages 1&2 in this thread i did a restoration on my extra embryon and sold it a couple of months ago.
grantyed most people dont goto the trouble i do but it could be retouched and spot cleared if its just a player.

Also check pages 2-3 here and see some other pinsiders are doing overlay pieces to fix the artwork as well.

#184 6 years ago

Hi Guys

How many of you have changed your linear flippers to conventional flippers? Your thoughst after the conversion?

The lights that spell embryon are #46 screw in bulbs - Is this standard ? Have any of you changed the fittings to bayonet type so you can use led's?

I look forward to your replies
Regards
Clive

#185 6 years ago

Here's a picture.... Can I join the Embryon Club?

I was in a rush & forgot to pull the wires up from the cabinet before bolting it on!

IMG_20140609_215637361.jpg
#186 6 years ago

Just wondering..... the Embryon playfield is pretty dirty. Is the best way to clean still with Simple Green... Magic Erasers with little alcohol & Novus 2?

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Just wondering..... the Embryon playfield is pretty dirty. Is the best way to clean still with Simple Green... Magic Erasers with little alcohol & Novus 2?

Is your playfield covered with Mylar, mine is and it was extremely hazy and worn looking. I used some polishing compound and a cordless drill with a buffing pad on it which cleaned the haze up a huge amount. It was the pad that came with a headlight polishing kit.

I would be a lot more careful on the aged clear coat if that is your situation.

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

The lights that spell embryon are #46 screw in bulbs - Is this standard ? Have any of you changed the fittings to bayonet type so you can use led's?

Ive worked on 8 embryons the letter inserts have always had 555 sockets sounds like someones hack repair if it has threaded sockets they arent original.

Quoted from PinballNZ:

How many of you have changed your linear flippers to conventional flippers? Your thoughst after the conversion?

rebuilt linears work good if they are rebuilt properly they work just as well as the older style

#189 6 years ago

I agree on the linear flippers. I rebuilt mine from the ground up from a kit from actionpinball. they play great and got some balls during gameplay.

#190 6 years ago

I find the linear flippers are good except with one annoying difference. If I hold the flipper up and the ball lands on it, it pushes the flipper down just a little and the high resistance part of the coil is briefly shorted by the EOS and the flipper sort of re-fires. It could be I should readjust my EOS switches but my coils, EOS, flipper switches are all new. My worn out old style Bally flippers do not do this.

The other thing is the angle of swing seems smaller than the old style of flipper.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I find the linear flippers are good except with one annoying difference. If I hold the flipper up and the ball lands on it, it pushes the flipper down just a little and the high resistance part of the coil is briefly shorted by the EOS and the flipper sort of re-fires.

The infamous Bally flipper bounce!!! The kit from actionpinball has magnetic coil stops and stronger return springs to prevent this. This is the main reason why people change out the linear flippers because of this mechanical flaw. With the right parts and adjustment they will work just as well as old style flippers.

#192 6 years ago

Just wondering what you have your Embryon angled at?

#193 6 years ago

I have many bally linear flipper restored and they all work good, no ball rebound at all. If the ball rebound on the flipper, change the stopper, also check the alignement and the sleeve. That should not happen.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

I have many bally linear flipper restored and they all work good, no ball rebound at all. If the ball rebound on the flipper, change the stopper, also check the alignement and the sleeve. That should not happen.

How does changing the stop help?

#195 6 years ago

they get magnetized sometime the older plungers get magnetized as well then flippers stick

#196 6 years ago

How do you adjust the amount of sound... not volume. There doesn't seem to be as much chatter going on as in some videos I've seen/heard. Is it the dip switches? Thanks

#197 6 years ago

coin door diagnostic switch set #18 menu option to 03

#198 6 years ago

Ok... when I press the small bump inside the coin door to Denver 18 and then hit the credit and free button nothing happens.

#199 6 years ago

Anyone used the translucent blue super bands on their Embryon yet?

#200 6 years ago

Ok... when I press the small bump inside the coin door to enter 18 and then hit the credit and free button nothing happens. I know I need a manual.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 50.00
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
There are 559 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside