IMG_20230818_010214925 (resized).jpg
embryon (resized).jpg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7123 (resized).jpeg
detail (resized).jpg
BF91E0D4-D7DF-44C6-899C-45F117F6EB26 (resized).jpeg
3628C1C8-372F-4F63-8057-FBF8BC40A13A (resized).jpeg
99D58CF7-9BE9-4645-812B-92128CDA9D1C (resized).jpeg
There are 703 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.
#651 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

You know if anyone is working on recreating the backglass? Thats super unobtanium.

Cough (yes) cough

#652 1 year ago

I connected with Mikonos and Quench to have a decal made for the apron and shooter lane guide. Much thanks to both of these good men for helping us all have a nice option of restoring the apron.

Since I do not have an Embryon apron or cabinet, I had to use the artful eye of my wife to go through photos of Embryon and choose from 4 different rattle cans for the silver from my local ace hardware. (The krylon dull aluminum rattle can is not available any longer from any sources I looked through that other pinsiders have recommended earlier)

Im sure that embryon is a light gray, but Im having to do a few custom things anyway, and I dont want to use my hvlp for this project, So we chose Rustoleum metallic finish. (I’m not a big fan of rustoleum usually, krylon is much more forgiving when filling in sunken surface areas in my experience. Rustoleum needs a very nice consistent surface to get a nice finish) This Rustoleum to our eyes looks closest to the original color and gives off that slight metallic sparkle.

My apron is a paragon apron that had lost most of its paint, so I still need to drill the right hole, wish me luck

708708E9-39D1-4218-85D1-E26306528C6D (resized).jpeg708708E9-39D1-4218-85D1-E26306528C6D (resized).jpeg99D58CF7-9BE9-4645-812B-92128CDA9D1C (resized).jpeg99D58CF7-9BE9-4645-812B-92128CDA9D1C (resized).jpegAEC3646C-A039-47AE-8143-534B3F587D6E (resized).pngAEC3646C-A039-47AE-8143-534B3F587D6E (resized).pngD43C4207-BE4F-4AD9-8B13-3001731D4A80 (resized).jpegD43C4207-BE4F-4AD9-8B13-3001731D4A80 (resized).jpeg

#653 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Cough (yes) cough

Cool! Sorry i have been out of the loop in the world of pinball recently.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I connected with Mikonos and Quench to have a decal made for the apron and shooter lane guide. Much thanks to both of these good men for helping us all have a nice option of restoring the apron.
Since I do not have an Embryon apron or cabinet, I had to .....

Bravo! Impressive exemplary work!

#654 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

You know if anyone is working on recreating the backglass? Thats super unobtanium.

Reach out to Coos.

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html

3 weeks later
#655 1 year ago

Busy working on an Embryon, and no flashers are present. Easiest way to test for them?

#656 1 year ago

They are wired in series and there is a lil lamp next to the board under the playfield that has to work to run them. It's wild.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/embryon-flasher-problem.122474/

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-flashers

2 months later
#657 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

Still hunting for a playfield. Rough wall hanger is fine.

4 weeks later
#658 11 months ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Still hunting for a playfield. Rough wall hanger is fine.

I have it on good authority that a repro playfield is coming this summer sometime. I’ll let you know exactly when once I get mine back.

#659 11 months ago
Quoted from jgreene:

Is this just wishful thinking or an actual rumor? What's the source for this?
It would be great to finally restore my project embryon that spent a decade as a mouse hotel.

You can put me down as the source. Mirco has been working on a repro for quite some time around all the JJP projects. I’ve been told it will be ready sometime this summer but I’m thinking fall is more realistic. It’s been a long time coming already.

3628C1C8-372F-4F63-8057-FBF8BC40A13A (resized).jpeg3628C1C8-372F-4F63-8057-FBF8BC40A13A (resized).jpegBF91E0D4-D7DF-44C6-899C-45F117F6EB26 (resized).jpegBF91E0D4-D7DF-44C6-899C-45F117F6EB26 (resized).jpeg
#660 11 months ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

You can put me down as the source. Mirco has been working on a repro for quite some time around all the JJP projects. I’ve been told it will be ready sometime this summer but I’m thinking fall is more realistic. It’s been a long time coming already.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, my embryon is close to a barn find. Holding off on restoration until a playfield option is available.

#661 11 months ago

My Embryon is a semi populated playfield with missing inserts, a collection of mechs and hardware, a set of boards, an nos backglass, a transformer and a future spa cabinet.

I’ll start my project when I get a nice or new playfield I guess.

It’s a sexy machine that will probably hide at work once I get er done

#662 11 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

My Embryon is a semi populated playfield with missing inserts, a collection of mechs and hardware, a set of boards, an nos backglass, a transformer and a future spa cabinet.
I’ll start my project when I get a nice or new playfield I guess.
It’s a sexy machine that will probably hide at work once I get er done

Mine is all there. But the playfield has tons of wear in the center and upper right. Mice built a nest along the top and caused the upper back guide to rust. I could get it running as is, but have other projects waiting.

#663 11 months ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

I have it on good authority that a repro playfield is coming this summer sometime. I’ll let you know exactly when once I get mine back.

Wow can't believe it was 8 years ago, but I had mine restored by HSA Pinball, now defunct. Incredible restore job by actual former Bally artists in the industry. Still shiny and new to this day! A repro field definitely will be nice for those who have PFs that are beyond repair in many cases. I expect the value of the game may dip a bit as a result but not much. Only 2250 were ever made back in 1980/81. Can't imagine many have survived since then.

1 week later
#664 11 months ago

Just finishing up a few details on this Embryon. I noticed the right captured ball target does not have a diode and doesn't appear to have ever had one. There is no extra tab for the diode. I checked the left one and it does have it. I checked the Switch matrix documentation and I saw no listing for a "Right Side Captive Ball Target", only a left one. I sure appreciate your willingness to take a peak at this for me. - Tom

#665 11 months ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Just finishing up a few details on this Embryon. I noticed the right captured ball target does not have a diode and doesn't appear to have ever had one. There is no extra tab for the diode. I checked the left one and it does have it. I checked the Switch matrix documentation and I saw no listing for a "Right Side Captive Ball Target", only a left one. I sure appreciate your willingness to take a peak at this for me. - Tom

That target is tied into the single upright target with the captive ball. It is a strange set up, the two switches are in series and the target switch has the diode.

#666 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

That target is tied into the single upright target with the captive ball. It is a strange set up, the two switches are in series and the target switch has the diode.

So it does have the diode, does it look similar to the example in the photo? If so, I will need to get a new one that allows for the diode then. - Tom

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg

#667 11 months ago

I realize I was unclear, the drop target has the diode on its switch, the standup does not.

2 weeks later
#668 10 months ago

I've got an Embryon apron I'm looking to part with. It definitely needs some touch-up, but it's solid. PM me if you're interested.

IMG_7122 (resized).jpegIMG_7122 (resized).jpegIMG_7123 (resized).jpegIMG_7123 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#669 9 months ago

I am working on a playfield for Embryon. Contact me if you have good images of the playfield art that will help in reproduction.

How is this coming along?

1 month later
#670 8 months ago

Hello! New to the club, I pulled this little beauty out of a barn! It sadly is as it sits, headless. I need a full back box, does anyone have an "extra" ? project or otherwise? In the meantime I'm beginning the PF shop out and collecting boards.

embryon (resized).jpgembryon (resized).jpg
#671 8 months ago

Hi, I made a huge mistake with my Embryon. I tried to change the j3 connector on my solenoid driver board and I didn't connect three wires properly, and they popped out of the connector. I'm not 100% on where they go. Can someone please take a picture of their J3 connector??? thanks in advance

#672 8 months ago
Quoted from PaulRiccardi:

Hi, I made a huge mistake with my Embryon. I tried to change the j3 connector on my solenoid driver board and I didn't connect three wires properly, and they popped out of the connector. I'm not 100% on where they go. Can someone please take a picture of their J3 connector??? thanks in advance

IMG_20230818_010214925 (resized).jpgIMG_20230818_010214925 (resized).jpgIMG_20230818_010416194 (resized).jpgIMG_20230818_010416194 (resized).jpg
#673 8 months ago
Quoted from Brettv:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Brettv I really appreciate it! I think that's the J3 connector off your MPU, not the solenoid driver board. Mines a 25 pin connector.

#674 8 months ago
Quoted from PaulRiccardi:

Can someone please take a picture of their J3 connector???

I posted backbox connector pictures a few pages back:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/12#post-7120252

In any case that SDB J3 connector is pretty much the same for all Ballys of that era.

SDB_J3_Wire_Colors.pngSDB_J3_Wire_Colors.png

#675 8 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

I posted backbox connector pictures a few pages back:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/12#post-7120252
In any case that SDB J3 connector is pretty much the same for all Ballys of that era.
[quoted image]

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is perfect!

#676 8 months ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

How is this coming along?

Stalled until I have a sample to compare my measurements to the actual playfield. As soon as the measurements are confirmed, I can hit the print button. I've been looking for a playfield to use for measurements for about 2 years now. Nobody has been able to help.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#677 8 months ago
Quoted from Ironphl:

Hello! New to the club, I pulled this little beauty out of a barn! It sadly is as it sits, headless. I need a full back box, does anyone have an "extra" ? project or otherwise? In the meantime I'm beginning the PF shop out and collecting boards. [quoted image]

Ironically that playfield might be nicer than one in my project game.

#678 8 months ago

Stalled until I have a sample to compare my measurements to the actual playfield. As soon as the measurements are confirmed, I can hit the print button. I've been looking for a playfield to use for measurements for about 2 years now. Nobody has been able to help.[quoted image]

Are there measurements one can provide you without removing the playfield?

#679 8 months ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

Are there measurements one can provide you without removing the playfield?

No, that part is done but has to be verified. I do that using an actual playfield like in the attached photo. There must be one hanging on a wall somewhere.

IMG_4227 (resized).jpegIMG_4227 (resized).jpeg
#680 8 months ago

No, that part is done but has to be verified. I do that using an actual playfield like in the attached photo. There must be one hanging on a wall somewhere.
[quoted image]

I can pull the pf out of my cabinet, what needs measuring?!?

#681 8 months ago
Quoted from Ironphl:

I can pull the pf out of my cabinet, what needs measuring?!?

He needs to print out the image above that has all of the cutouts for Inserts, switches and other routes, the printed image needs to be laid flat on a playfield to be certain that the holes line up perfectly.

I spent 40 to 50 hours perfecting the above image against my Embryon playfield, I’ve been working with FantasticPinball on this, he needs a playfield in hand to confirm the image is perfect so his art can line up perfectly.

I have offered to loan my playfield , I’m in Texas and very far from Canada, I think he wants a playfield that is closer to him.

#682 8 months ago

I live here in Connecticut and I have a fully restored Embryon play field from HSA Pinball I got done many years ago. I do have digital calipers that I could measure if you need. Not sure if that would help or not. It was a huge job to disassemble and reassemble and then worrying for nearly 2 months that it would come back from Arkansas in one piece knowing how federal and UPS like to throw stuff around.

Looking forward to see how the new playfield print will come out.

1 month later
#683 6 months ago

Looks like it’s ready!
https://mircoplayfields.com/en/p/embryon-mirco-playfield

IMG_8568 (resized).jpegIMG_8568 (resized).jpeg
#684 6 months ago

Here’s a straightened out pic of the playfield from Mirco’s website. Pretty excited to see what it looks like in person!

IMG_8568 (resized).jpegIMG_8568 (resized).jpeg
#685 6 months ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

Here’s a straightened out pic of the playfield from Mirco’s website. Pretty excited to see what it looks like in person!
[quoted image]

Looking good, ordering one shortly. Looking forward to getting my embryon restore moving.

1 week later
#686 5 months ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

[quoted image]

Nice. $1200 USD or so is just a tad over what my restore cost me 8+years ago. Looks like it will be a great option for the restore projects sitting out there still.

3 weeks later
#687 4 months ago

Would anyone know which star rollover size or type I would need for the circled bad 1? Thanks

20231124_132741 (resized).jpg20231124_132741 (resized).jpg
#688 4 months ago

Just make sure you get that Mirco playfield recleared or you will regret it.

2 months later
#689 56 days ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Are there problems with these Micro playfields? I was thinking of getting this for my Embryon restore as mine is in pretty rough shape. This comment made me pause.

#690 55 days ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Are there problems with these Micro playfields? I was thinking of getting this for my Embryon restore as mine is in pretty rough shape. This comment made me pause.

There is a whole thread on Mirco here on pinside. Look up Mirco and you will find it.

#691 54 days ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Personally, if you get it, immediately wait for 30 days after you receive it, then block sand it and re clear coat it.

Or give FantasticPinball a holler, I bet he may enlighten you

#692 49 days ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Foe me, his playfields are good to go. I have about a dozen micro PF’s. Everything has been good for me. I plan on an ordering an Embryon soon. I painstakingly repainted the center of my original that was down to wood. Micros PF will shine like a diamond compared to the old dingy original. When it comes time to sell the game you will have no trouble with this new PF in it.

1 week later
#693 36 days ago

Bit on the micro playfield and it is night/day difference to the beat up faded playfield I'm restoring!

Question for the experts. I am missing the two posts in front of the middle egg? double captive ball. Does anyone know the sizes of those posts? Not sure if it is 8/32 or 6/32.

Guessing this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4177-1RB

TIA

#694 36 days ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Bit on the micro playfield and it is night/day difference to the beat up faded playfield I'm restoring!
Question for the experts. I am missing the two posts in front of the middle egg? double captive ball. Does anyone know the sizes of those posts? Not sure if it is 8/32 or 6/32.
Guessing this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4177-1RB
TIA

I would go 10-32. It takes a beating there. You will need to drill hole a tiny bit more to fit. 8-32 will work but use a washer if you do that.

#695 36 days ago
Quoted from pindel:

I would go 10-32. It takes a beating there. You will need to drill hole a tiny bit more to fit. 8-32 will work but use a washer if you do that.

Super, Thanks!

1 week later
#696 28 days ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

You might regret it, no matter what....

2 weeks later
#697 10 days ago

Another Q for the group regarding the wire form by the lower right red flipper. The micro PF wasn't drilled for this form. My original did have the form, plus some nails added to that corner. None of the pictures here or on IPDB show the area clearly. I'm assuming this form (blocking the area below the red flipper and the shooting lane) is normal/factory?

Thanks.

#698 9 days ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Another Q for the group regarding the wire form by the lower right red flipper. The micro PF wasn't drilled for this form. My original did have the form, plus some nails added to that corner. None of the pictures here or on IPDB show the area clearly. I'm assuming this form (blocking the area below the red flipper and the shooting lane) is normal/factory?
Thanks.

I'll take a picture of my restored OEM PF tomorrow.

#699 9 days ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

There is a whole thread on Mirco here on pinside. Look up Mirco and you will find it.

Would the “plastic washers under posts” trick help alleviate any issues? That Mirco thread has over 2000 posts, needs a synopsis lol

#700 8 days ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Thanks.

They added that so the ball makes the corner turn easier. Not a bad idea to put it there but not important for a home use game IMO.

Quoted from ROMM:

Would the “plastic washers under posts” trick help alleviate any issues? That Micro thread has over 2000 posts, needs a synopsis lol

The synopsis is he does great work. If you have a normal person look at the PF’s they would be amazed. Some Pinside people would point out every fine detail flaw like it’s a million dollar paint job. He supplies JJP and others factory PF’s. He’s been doing it for 15 years. Like all playfields there are occasional issues. Picky Pinside people hate him and want to kill his reputation. Buy from him and be happy. Or you can have HEP and others restore your old one for 2k and a 2 year wait. I’ve personally purchased about a dozen PF’s over the years and am super happy. Cpr is the exact same situation. They both do direct print with clear coat. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the stock wood being used has a dark grain in the shooter lane compared to minimal grain on cpr boards. That is something I have learned to ignore. I’m ordering an Embryon PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 703 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.