(Topic ID: 98606)

Embryon - If Paint Comes Up with Mylar.. Am I Screwed?

By scampcamp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by conester
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

embryon2.jpg
embryon1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

The freeze method takes some practice but in my experience it is the easiest. I read around here that you can expect at least a small amount of paint or insert art to come up, and I have to agree with that. However, with some experience and patience you can mitigate it. I go slow and lose very little paint. The improvement is always better than the little bit of paint that comes up.

As others have said, in your case unless you want to miraculously put the mylar back, you have gone too far to fix it. That was an awful lot of paint to lose...I hate to see others discouraged away from using this method, which is why I wrote the above paragraph. Anyone new to this should try and practice on a section you can't see, or on a junk playfield. That behind said, a good artist using good quality acrylic paint can do an amazing job fixing it, so don't feel too bad. In the mean time, keep an eye out for a new playfield if you want something really nice. Doubt you will get your money out of it down the line, but it's a fun project to do and worth doing if you enjoy that sort of thing. Don't attempt it if you feel it is out of your skill set, however, or you will likely end up placing one of those "I have an Embryon project that I tore apart and never finished....includes new playfield" ads! Sorry about your mishap....that happened to me on a TOTAN and based on that, I can feel your pain!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sorry that happened to you. What's sad is that the Bally Tuffcoat really didn't need mylar to begin with.
+1 on the hairdryer recommendation.

I found that to be a painfully slow process, but does doing that guarantee or lessen the possibility of lifting paint? Guess it is worth the effort if the answer is yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-if-paint-comes-up-with-mylar-am-i-screwed?tu=Pinball4life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.