Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210305_200459 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Ok I am going to be a bit lazy here because I just need some direction. I just pulled embryon out out storage. When I boot it up the ball kicks into the trough and blows the PF fuse. I haven't really dug into it yet but it worked fine when I put it away. I would probably disconnect that coil and see if it still happens but have read other posts saying it might be a problem back on the driver board or possibly the connectors on the mpu. That's the only coil i hear fire when I power it up. I would tend to believe that fuse is designed to protect the circuitry from playfield shorts but i suppose a shorted driver transistor could lock the coil on and blow the fuse. I did not notice if the coil locked on but i only have so many fuses left and no schematic. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance (and I will thank you later too)

RB

#2 3 years ago

If the fuse blows as soon as the coil activates that is where the problem is. Too much current is flowing through that coil. Make sure the coil is the correct one and try changing it and/or the diode out. Make sure the yellow bus wire is soldered to the band of diode lug.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

If the fuse blows as soon as the coil activates that is where the problem is. Too much current is flowing through that coil. Make sure the coil is the correct one and try changing it and/or the diode out. Make sure the yellow bus wire is soldered to the band of diode lug.

Thanks Big Al! I will go at it that way. The game was fine for 3 years before so things being mis-wired is unlikely. I see yu have FG in the background. Awesome. I just picked one up a few weeks ago that is in nice shape with a hard top. I had never played one before and i like really hard games. That is an understatement to say the least on that one.

#4 3 years ago

I was one of the Bally engineers that built that game back in the day. So yep, lot of memories there.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

I was one of the Bally engineers that built that game back in the day. So yep, lot of memories there.

Hmmm I have a question on the shooter lane bonus collect on FG I am going to post. I will tell you when its done if you dont mind taking a look.

#7 3 years ago

i removed the yellow wire from the trough kicker coil lug. Now both drop target assemblies on the right side of the PF activate as soon as I contact the other side of the fuse to the other side of the fuse socket. The coils will remain on until I remove contact. I reseated all the connectors in the back box just for kicks and it did not affect the issue. There's gotta be a short somewhere right?

#8 3 years ago

The yellow wire is the 43V power which is daisy chained to the the rest. You can disconnect the opposite wire to suspected coils then start the game. When you connect the ground wire (wire opposite the yellow) it grounds that solenoid to the driver board. See what coil is blowing the fuse.

#9 3 years ago

I think you have a Solenoid Driver Board issue. If it is happening when you remove one coil and it locks another coil on, then it is likely you could have a shorted CA3081 transistor array. They are U1, U3 and U4.

#10 3 years ago

Skidave I swapped out the SDB with another one I had with a different problem and same deal. It's something much more directly oriented to the PS for the playfield.

Yeah Tom that yellow wire shows a direct short to the ground braid on the bottom of the PF. I'm thinking this may be the culprit. Out of the PF loop, shows dead short to ground. The other BR shows not continuity between the same legs.

20210305_200459 (resized).jpg20210305_200459 (resized).jpg
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

I think you have a Solenoid Driver Board issue. If it is happening when you remove one coil and it locks another coil on, then it is likely you could have a shorted CA3081 transistor array. They are U1, U3 and U4.

You were right it was the solenoid driver board. I disconnected the coils one by one. trough kick out first>right single drop and top triple drop still fired. disco'd the single drop next>top tripe drop still fired. Triple drop next>playfield fuse stopped blowing. then connected the trough kickout by itself>it fired...and so on. swapped in an ultimate mpu>same thing (I already tried swapping drier board prior to all of this but that one was old. Swapped in an ultimate driver board. Fixed problem. I wont have those IC chips here and not sure i want to monkey with trying to pluck them off old boards plus none of them are the AS-2518-22. Looks like i'm ordering a new ultimate driver or maybe barakandl has something.

Thanks for the help. BTW the "short" on the power supply on the bridge was actually the 25 ohm resister. Learned that after replacing the BR1. Doh!

#12 3 years ago

Glad you narrowed down the issue!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-blowing-playfield-fuse?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.