• Latest reply 8 years ago by DEN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Hi guys, just recieved an Embryon from Netherlands, hoped to play alot of embryon this weekend, but got issues with it.

Worst is the soundproblems.

Now i bought this game as fully working, i can see soundcard has got some new caps, seems like only the biggest cap is still old, all else looks replaced, it has been resoldered on connections.

I playes background sound, also target noices, but most of the speech does not work, it can say three balls and functional, when ever i his captive ball it says functional.

Where doo i check? all speech is not missing, thank you guys.

#2 8 years ago

And an alltek mpu board is installed

#3 8 years ago

Check and reseat all the connectors. That pin has had a long journey and those connectors aren't the best.

#4 8 years ago

there should be 2 trim pots on the sound board. One is labelled speech. wind it back and forth a few times and see if it then works.

#5 8 years ago

First thing i did was those two potmeters, turned them alot, no help.

Reseat cabels, only got one big cabel and a little to the speaker, did reseat them.

Anyone knows whitch voltage there should bee on all those TP test points??

#7 8 years ago

Have the connectors been re-pinned? That era of Bally you really should rebuild ALL of the .100 Molex connectors for reliability.
Very tedious work, but rewarding once your problems go away.

http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Have the connectors been re-pinned? That era of Bally you really should rebuild ALL of the .100 Molex connectors for reliability.
Very tedious work, but rewarding once your problems go away.
http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

I have a Vector incoming and that will be my first job of it hasn't already been done. That and the EPROM sockets.

#9 8 years ago

When I got my Embryon it was missing a lot of the speech. It worked, but only some words. It turned out the sound board was not from an Embryon and it was jumped wrong. Right board, wrong settings. These are the soldered in jumpers on the board. So have a look at the manual and go over the jumper leads very carefully. If that is it, it's a quick fix. People just miss it because who solders jumpers? Those crazy 80s.

And it was a guy on here named Vector that found and fixed it for me.

#10 8 years ago

How many flashes do you get from the LED on the Squawk and Talk board? You should be getting 6 flashes, I think; maybe 5.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

When I got my Embryon it was missing a lot of the speech. It worked, but only some words. It turned out the sound board was not from an Embryon and it was jumped wrong. Right board, wrong settings. These are the soldered in jumpers on the board. So have a look at the manual and go over the jumper leads very carefully. If that is it, it's a quick fix. People just miss it because who solders jumpers? Those crazy 80s.
And it was a guy on here named Vector that found and fixed it for me.

Good call. I think there's some misinformation floating around out there regarding the jumpers on this one. If I recall correctly, the bad information is specifically about whether jumper EE should be in place. I've got an Embryon and can check on that if the OP needs.

#12 8 years ago

By the way, excellent purchase. I would love an Embryon.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

By the way, excellent purchase. I would love an Embryon.

Had mine since 2010, it's not going anywhere...

#14 8 years ago

Missing input can cause wrong sound / speech calls.

Start simple stuff first before heating up the iron. Check the four/five encoded inputs are proper and making it through the 4049 to the PIA/sound generator.

The schematic sheet clearly labels the test points.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Had mine since 2010, it's not going anywhere...

Not many of them over here in the UK.

#16 8 years ago

Wow I have the same exact problem. Alltek board only some speech. 3 ball and Embryon functional. Recapped squawk and talk. Checked jumpers and reseated the connectors.

#17 8 years ago

For what it's worth, Embryon uses the speech far less than Centaur or Eight Ball Deluxe. The only things that are actually said regularly, to my recollection, are "Embryonic incubator functional" when you start the game, "Embryon" when you add a letter, "Flip save energized" when you get A and B, and "Life support activated" when you light the lock.

Have you actually run the sound board through test mode?

#18 8 years ago

Ahhhh good news guys.

Seller tells me that one of the roms got mixed up and is from fathom.

Well did pit in two roms from my friend emb and halleluyaaaa all sounds are there

So really happy ending when i recieve correct roms.

But thank you guys for all your nice input

Embryon is just a perfect pin

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Ahhhh good news guys.
Seller tells me that one of the roms got mixed up and is from fathom.
Well did pit in two roms from my friend emb and halleluyaaaa all sounds are there
So really happy ending when i recieve correct roms.
But thank you guys for all your nice input
Embryon is just a perfect pin

image_(resized).jpeg

Excellent. Glad to hear it.

It is a great pin. Mine lasted more than 4 years here, which is an eternity for a pin.

#20 8 years ago

I udually go for DMD pins, but thisone is just different, i really enjoy playing it.
Ultra widebody, many dropdown targets. Hard multiball mode. 80sounds, background music, speech, rewarding shots, the artwork is just top!
This one is perfect clearcoated, complete new plasticset. New rubberset and so on. Its a joy to play, waouwwwww.

Love Embryon.... And again the artwork, woawwww.

Not many of theese pins in europe. I think under 500.
Its a rare pin, play it if you see it, or even better, buy it

(Just get it with propper sound roms)

1 week later
#21 8 years ago

Well, got a new ROM from seller today, please listen to sound-test.
All old sounds are still there, but new ROM sounds really bad.
Can rom go bad under transport?

Link:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/embryon-allmost-speechless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.