Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 4Max
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

007 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3750 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3753 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3749 (resized).JPG
    P1280005.JPG
    P1240001.JPG
    PB100061.JPG
    PB100063.JPG
    PB100064.JPG
    untitled.png
    IMG_0513.JPG
    snowman-icon.png
    Santas-Hat-icon.png
    rotoprogress_009.jpg
    RotoPool_369.jpg
    Rotopool_PF_090.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-it.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

** EM Worn playfield pop bumper area cover **

Mylar cover and paint match.

Have an area around a pop bumper that has seen better days?

Why not paint a clear non-adhesive pop bumper mylar to a color thats close to the color of something in the playfield.

First paint the bottom of a clean and dust free mylar till it is covered in paint coverage.

Second get another mylar and cover the side you just painted after it dries fully.

Third lay the clear mylar/painted over the playfield pop bumper area (painted side protected in between the two of course)

Reinstall the pop bumper and enjoy your nice work without the labor and expense of other paint methods.

Best benefit is they are not permanent and can also be custom colored.

Supplies: Spray paint and 2 non-adhesive mylars.
    Not sure if the type that sticks to plastic should be required but I used regular spray can enamel to match the color that was close to what I was looking for.

IMG_2129.JPGIMG_2129.JPG IMG_2130.JPGIMG_2130.JPG IMG_2135.JPGIMG_2135.JPG IMG_2136.JPGIMG_2136.JPG

#3 11 years ago

I don't mind the idea of using two Mylars if the paint holds up better over time.

The reason I put two is that if you use one and dirt gets between the playfield and the painted mylar the painted one might get scratched up and remove the paint from the mylar whereas another clear mylar added between the playfield and paint would only put scratches in the clear mylar.(overkill?)
    Kinda like a mylar in reverse.
    Plus they are cheap enough.
    I would not use an adhesive style though too risky IMO.

Merry Christmas

EM-PINMAN, Ken

christmas-tree-3-icon.pngchristmas-tree-3-icon.png

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Dirt gets under them and they act like sandpaper.

I agree but for a quick visually appealing fix that is very easy to do IMO just a basic stop gap or long term till I get to the actual repair of the playfield (not intimidated at a playfield resto to say the least)

Plus most people will clean their Pin before it gets that dirty contributing to more wear(I hope)from a non-adhesive mylar (mine is not going to be used commercially)

To be honest if you are not going to sell it why not leave a painted mylar on there ? no harm versus possible paint being damaged by an adhesive type mylar that gets damaged and worn from usage + you can custom paint or water decal it.
    Endless possibilities.

IMO someone may say that the paint that was used to repair the damaged area is not an exact match so now the value of it is now lowered.

But to be fair they both are excellent ideas just figure out which one works best for you.

Nice job on that playfield

**EDIT or put an adhesive one down covering the damaged area then a painted non-adhesive mylar on top of that.

#12 11 years ago

I shouldnt share this but what the Hell its Christmas.
    Probably a business venture someone can make out of this---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirograph

Blinged bumper platters using that^^^^

Had one of those as a kid.

*EDIT check out the images--->
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Spirograph&hl=en&tbo=d&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7MXGB_enUS510&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=df7ZUM6XNMSI0QG1g4DwDA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1366&bih=615

Pin-it

Santas-Hat-icon.pngSantas-Hat-icon.png

#13 11 years ago

The best is I can let my niece or nephew make them.
    Bonus

snowman-icon.pngsnowman-icon.png

#16 11 years ago

Had a flashback there for a second.

Remember those SST lightning smash up derby cars that exploded on impact ?
    **EDIT--->Smash Up Derby SSP not sst lightning
    Then put it back together and do it again.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

those were super cool. Also i rember the spinning pan that you put paint in to make patterns. Also cool bumper paterns!!
    --Jeff

Damn hippies showing us their 60s era world through their eyes.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

LOL, those SSP Smash Up Derby sets were my favorite toys when I was a kid. I have every set ever released in the USA in the 70's. I'd get one for Christmas every year and within a day or two, some wheel would fly off and go down a register vent, never to be seen again.

Funny
    I am surprised someone had the commercial for that.

#31 11 years ago

Dont laugh someone probably got the idea from this.

Battle cruiser

untitled.pnguntitled.png

#39 11 years ago

PBR outta stock too.

1 month later
    #41 11 years ago

From down under, thought this was another good idea too.

PLAYFIELD REPAIR AROUND POP BUMPERS USING SELF ADHESIVE DECALS

http://www.pinballaustralia.com/pop.htm

3 years later
    #43 7 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

Reviving this thread to see if 3 years on:
    a. anyone ever found someone making colored mylar for pops, or if not
    b. did Pin-It, or anyone else, refine the approach in the first post of this thread.
    I am just starting on a Time Zone and it too had those horrible wood grain ones - which I too thought at first look, was playfield wear. They came off super easy, but there is significant wear underneath and I, like, EM-Pinman, am ok with electricals and cleaning, but playfield touch up except for the odd mark, is not my forte.
    So I like the idea of the colored mylar.
    Pin-It - you mention enamel, any particular brand? I see Krylon have Fusion for Plastic paints, but I wonder if even acrylic will do the job - just thinking about widest color availability

I used a regular enamel because it was a color that was close match and I had it on hand. No change in durability,still looks as though it was just installed today.
    Whether you need two mylars is up to you,I did two as its not a plastic adhesion approved paint and I didnt want the chance of paint rubbing off into the playfield.
    You should have no problem with whatever rattle can paint you decide to use.

#44 7 years ago

Another option would be to print a design on photo quality paper and cover with a mylar. The mylar protects the art and provides a clearcoat to it at the same time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-it.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-worn-playfield-pop-bumper-area-cover?tu=Pin-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.