You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space Mission Electronic Sound sm (resized).jpg
close_encounters_EM9.jpgGottlieb (resized).jpg
WICO SOUNDBOARD (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I recently picked up a Bally Flip Flop EM that has been a HUO machine for almost 40 of its 41 years. The owner's dad bought it from an arcade and it stayed in the family since then.

When I lifted the of, I found an electronic sound board had been screwed to the inside of the cabinet. It was only wired to the two slingshots, so they had an electronic sound when hit. The owner thought this was original, but I have never seen it before.

I assume the arcade operator added it to make the game sound somewhat like the SS machines that were coming out at the time? Any thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

In general 'Sound Boards' were added to EM pins, at the operator level. As you state to help the EM compete with the early SS pins. Gottlieb had a kit that could be ordered from them. The other one that has been seen was offered by WICO, there could be other made as well. The board might have a name on it. These usually have more than just 2 sounds.

WICO SOUNDBOARD (resized).jpgWICO SOUNDBOARD (resized).jpg

From another Pinsider. This is a WICO unit in a Bally Pin.

#3 7 years ago

I have one on my Target Alpha. It's wired to the chime unit wires.

#4 7 years ago

Found this photo from Google. A 'SAMPLE' Gottlieb Close Encounters with a sound board.
close_encounters_EM9.jpgGottlieb (resized).jpgclose_encounters_EM9.jpgGottlieb (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I have the WICO unit. So, if I understand correctly, it can be wired to replace the chimes?

#6 7 years ago

I encountered this Space Mission several years ago and always wondered if the sound card was factory installed.
Would the operator have gone to the trouble of adding the sign under the playfield glass?
Space Mission Electronic Sound sm (resized).jpgSpace Mission Electronic Sound sm (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Funny that this subject came up- I have a Williams Touchdown game that is missing a knocker for specials and I was thinking of wiring it for a circuit board and speaker that would shout "SCORE!" when conditions were met.

3 weeks later
#8 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Would the operator have gone to the trouble of adding the sign under the playfield glass?

That sticker probably came with the kit. I was thinking about these the other day, never seen one in action. But it might be neat to build something similar with modern tech, using PCM sounds. I suppose if you wanted to get nuts you could wire it in all kinds of weird ways to play music or different sounds when different conditions are met. Maybe somebody has already done this and I can just use their work

#9 6 years ago

Oh god, the memories. peeyew,peeyew,pewew.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-with-added-electronic-sound-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.