Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm very good repairing any electronic machines, but with EM's still green.

I got this non-working for the horse mech alone, too cool to pass up. When I turned on, it would sit until I pressed start, then the motor would run constantly, along with the steppers, and the lights for the horse were changing continuously with this.

I cleaned all score reels, and found two that had misaligned 0 switches. I adjusted all these and cleaned them all, checked against others, all make contact and separate where applicable. After this, this seemed to calm things down, and all the steppers stopped, but the motor would turn off and on sporadically, but I could start a game and play, with the motor going off and on. Everything else seemed to work as it should.

Other than the motor, the only strange thing was the credit stepper/reel (not sure which it is). It would always want to turn to the highest credit count (until it reaches that max switch). If you click it anywhere from the last stop to no credits, as soon as the machine is turned on, it works it way around to the max position. Again, last night I could play it like this.

Today I read up and decided to try to work through it more. When starting it, all I get today is the motor running constantly when turning the machine on. I further cleaned all the score reels, score relays, the and 1st switch stack for the motor with the home switch.

Despite this, the motor still runs continuously, and the credit stepper always wants to keep itself at the max position, and both turn on right away (provided the credit stepper has been cycled back from the max position by me).

What else should I look at from here?

#2 9 years ago

bump

#3 9 years ago

My guess is that one or more of the coin switches is energizing one of the coin relays and this is making the game run itself up to max credits. When the credit wheel maxes out, there is a switch there to prevent it from going any further. But this won't stop the coin relay(s) from trying to put up more credits (and keep the score motor running).

Check down at the coin door for those small copper colored leaf switches. they are normally activated by the small white rotary cam that should have a "whisker" to sense the coin drop. The whiskers are usually mangled and therefore the cam may be pushing on the leaf switch blades. However, there should be a Make / Brake (normally open and normally closed) switch there. Only one set of contacts should be closed at a time. One set pulls in the coin relay, the other, once released, allows the score motor to turn. So, much of what you describe sounds like it might be misadjusted coin switches.

Depending on number of slots (that game came out near the end of nickel/dime/quarter slot doors), the left coin door switch normally immediatedly starts a game while the far right switch would give multiple credits for 1 quarter.

As to game reset, as you already found, the score reels must all be zeroed and the zero position switches properly cleaned and adjusted to stop the reels and tell the reset circuit they are all zeroed. But the 7 horses also need to return to home position to finish the reset cycle on Winner and Hayburners II.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks a lot, that makes sense, I'll check that out and post back.

Everything else works right, when I advance the score reels by hand, they were returning to 0's, and the horse were operating right, and returning home after each game.

By the way, only 6 horses Cool machine though, I can't wait to get it fully functional so I can shop it out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
StempleLABS
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Hardware
The Pinball Scientist
Hardware
$ 29.99
Lighting - Other
Pinlights
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-williams-winner-motor-runs-continuously and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.