Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crjfan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Cleaning up a friends family pinball machine that was just moved out of storage. Didn’t really think much when I took on my first EM project. I’ll skip most of the surprises and jump to my current problem.

When I first received the pin a game never ended. Meaning even after ball 5 the game would keep kicking out the bag. I found a relay that was stuck and the xxx coil burnt up (may have been good replaced anyway).

Now I can’t seem to get the game to start. I guess the coil could still have a issue. In the tight space my solder skills really stunk. Additionally, the braid wire was short so I extended it with a short jump wire.

So here’s the current issue after the cleanup:
When I turn it on everything seems to power up fine, after pushing the start button the score motor resets the score wheels and one of the two drop down targets. The motor does stop but the ball doesn’t kick out. Looking at the lights I can see that the Game Over light doesn’t turn off.
Issue 1. The “Deal” drop target doesn’t reset.
Issue 2. The ball doesn’t kick out to start the game.
Issue 3. Game Over light remains on

As I said this is my first EM project any help on what to look at would be welcomed.

#2 7 years ago

Do you have the manual and schematics? Both available to download at ipdb.

#3 7 years ago

Yes, have both. In testing the relays I found that when pressing on the Player Reset Relay and Ball Index Relay nothing happens. I am pretty sure the contacts are clean and they seemed to be allined correctly. Small Steps. Tomorrow I'll check to see if they are getting power.

#4 7 years ago

Hi waldo34
ipdb has http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=245 the schematics and the manual - look at page-13 (ori-11) - we read: COIN-UNIT (How many players want to participate in the next game) is mounted on the "Mech. Panel means on the bottom of the cabinet", the BALL-COUNT-UNIT (what ball is in play) is also in the cabinet, the PLAYER-UNIT (which of the players is actually playing) ) is mounted in the "Insert means Backbox".

Whenever You just look in the pin --- or You work in the pin: UNPLUG the 110 main power cord (SAFETY REASONS) - ONLY plug in when You need electricity for a test.

Unplug the 110 VAC cord - have a look at these units --- one coil does step up - one step and another step ... , the OTHER coil when You press the plunger - wroammm, bang one HUGE step and the unit is completely stepped down. Do this stepping (up and down) manually on all the three units - in the end do step: ALL three units step UP to maximum.

Then plug-in, toggle-on, start a game and watch: Do ALL three units do the "wroammm huge step, down means reset" ? In the Backbox You should see, http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=245&picno=42482 , on the bottom: 1 can play --- 1st ball in play --- and on top: 1st UP. Greetings Rolf

#5 7 years ago

Hi!

I finished working on my Big Deal some weeks ago and had some problems with reset too. First of all, I'd recomend to clean all your jones plugs AND the sockets. I used my Dremel tool...

Clean and adjust the outhole relay and outhole switch and the player reset relay. Both are located on the bottom panel.
As Rolf already mentioned in the previous post, check the ball-count unit and player unit.

Good luck!

#6 7 years ago

Turns out after allot of trial and error the game over relay was messed up. I did a take apart and reassemble to resolve the issue. Thanks for all the help.

#7 7 years ago

Super!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-williams-big-deal-game-not-starting-and-drop-target-not-resetting-1?hl=crjfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.