EM Williams 100 point relay sticking.

By phillips11103

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys. So My '72 Swinger has been acting up lately. What will happen is when you score any 100 point target, the relay will pull in but not let go. I looked at all the switches on it, they seem fine. No contacts touching that should be normally open type deal. The spring tension seems to be fine, I don't want to tighten the tension on it either. This happened a while ago and I discovered a set on contacts being a bit close. I adjusted them and she was swingin' once again. However this time I can see no switches that look problematic to me. Any thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

EOS on that score reel not opening would be the first thing I'd check. Second make sure nothing was binding mechanically.
Alex

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

EOS on that score reel not opening would be the first thing I'd check. Second make sure nothing was binding mechanically.
Alex

I'll check that out. Thanks!

#4 11 years ago

Maybe check the Score Motor switch that controls the 100 Point Relay just to be cover the bases while your at it.

Ken

#5 11 years ago

The obvious question here is, the coil is magnetically holding or mechanically holding? When you try to manually release or when you turn the machine off, does it let go?
Changing the return spring will make no difference if the coil is staying energised. If you have a schematic locate the 100 point RE and check the switches under the coil.

Chris

#6 11 years ago

I had the same problem with the 1000 relay on my gulfstream.

Sounds silly, but all I did was actuate the relay by hand (power off, course) a bunch of times and it doesn't "stick" anymore.

Thinking maybe the contact that breaks the connection to de-energize the coil was dirty and by pushing the relay repeatedly, the wiping action of the leaf blades cleaned the contact enough.

#7 11 years ago

My swinger had the same problem a few months ago. On mine one of the wires going to the switchstack on the reel had broken loose. The 70 williams are bad about the solder breaking at the switch. Mine was hard to tell untill I tugged on it (very lightly)

#8 11 years ago

Another point of failure in this trouble is the player unit.

The Player Unit disk contact which makes to the score reel solenoid can get dirty/malfunction and prevent the score reel solenoid from pulling in. The relay will pull in and hold, waitig for the score reel EOS switch to open, which doesn't happen.

My 4 player Space Mission had the same issue and I had to remove the Player Unit disk and clean all the contacts with #1000 sandpaper in the direction of travel, then put a very thin bit of Teflon grease on them before reassembly.
Solved.

6 months later
#9 10 years ago

Steve and others. Not to hijack this thread but I am experiencing the same problem with my strato flight with the 1000 point relay. I checked all the wires, but once the 1000 fires, the chime and coils lock in. If I either open the bonus count end of switch it ends.

Also, I manually actuated the player stepper in the back box when it locked and it locks on all 4 players, which I am guessing indicates its not the score reels in the back box, which were cleaned.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#10 10 years ago

See if you have a 1000 pt switch stuck on the pf

-Jeff

#11 10 years ago

I had a magnetism problem with a relay once. To fix it i took the relay apart and tapped on the plate with a hammer. Then I cleaned both the plate and the half moon metal pieces on the coil with mean green. This made sure that the surface was nice and clean. Next I sanded both the plate and the metal contacts on the coil with 400, 600, then 800 to remove any potential burs that would cause the relay to mechanically bind. After that i heated the plate with a torch till it was nice and hot. After it cooled I cleaned it again with mean green and reassembled. The problem went away.

4 weeks later
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

See if you have a 1000 pt switch stuck on the pf
-Jeff

Thanks for the ideas way2wyrd and bitzknocker. It was actually a misadjusted pulse reset switch on the score motor. It was making contact all the time, and when the 1000 fired eventually it was completing the circuit and sticking.

After that fix the Strato-Flite is now playable and just needs a few more minor fixes. I appreciate the help.

#13 10 years ago

Awesome. Glad you found the problem.

1 year later
#14 9 years ago

Need more assistance if possible, please. I have an old machine w/same problems. I have the schematics BUT I do not know where the 1000 pt relay physically resides in the machine? Can you help at all? thank you

#15 9 years ago

I think its in the head.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-williams-100-point-relay-sticking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.