Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kbliznick
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

el dorado 001 (resized).JPG
    el dorado 005 (resized).JPG
    6CB270EF-342A-45C9-9DF1-EF29E9C3BE6E (resized).jpeg
    6ED46A4F-2654-4DC7-9D1A-F267075E49B2 (resized).jpeg
    8D0BD145-7989-4056-B1A1-DD6CD719C363 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image3 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image2 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    argosy sp2 (resized).jpg
    argosy sp1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    serial # (resized).jpg
    volley sample (resized).jpg
    26D26578-0515-4CCA-8979-D28162CCD20D (resized).jpeg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Very cool topic thread and exciting find on your Sample Buccaneer.
    My earliest production game is Wild Wheels (WW1001)
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    Its main deviation from regular production is that the head is wired directly to CAB.
    (I.E. no jones plugs connectors)
    Not 100% sure this was intentional by engineers
    or poorly executed hack by some ill informed newbie.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

Unfortunately that is not an alternate spinner...that would have been cool if it was! That is a Williams spinner that they used on some of their pins such as Hot Tip and Argosy. The original Buccaneer spinners took a beating and were often replaced by whatever was laying around. The Buccaneer I once owned had the wrong spinner when I bought it. Keep an eye on eBay as they occasionally do pop up...that is where I eventually found mine. Beautiful pin...thanks for sharing!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/williams-argosy-pinball-machine-1928872633

argosy sp1 (resized).jpgargosy sp1 (resized).jpgargosy sp2 (resized).jpgargosy sp2 (resized).jpg
    #53 5 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

That is the nicest original Buccaneer spinner that I have seen. To the OP...that is what your pin deserves...ditch the Williams one!

Thanks, Steve did me a solid. I haven’t put it in yet because I don’t want to wreck it. Silly.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

That is the nicest original Buccaneer spinner that I have seen. To the OP...that is what your pin deserves...ditch the Williams one!

I don’t want to replace mine if the one I have is original to the game. Not sure if there is anyway of knowing that, but my guess is it’s original to the game.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

I don’t want to replace mine if the one I have is original to the game. Not sure if there is anyway of knowing that, but my guess is it’s original to the game.

https://www.ipdb.org/images/84/image-16.jpg

https://www.ipdb.org/images/84/image-15.jpg

https://www.ipdb.org/images/3163/3163f1.jpg

https://www.ipdb.org/images/3163/image-A5.jpg

https://www.ipdb.org/images/3163/image-3.jpg

The spinner on your Buccanneer is 100% not the original spinner to your game and is a common spinner made by Williams for their own pins...Gottlieb would not have used a spinner from one of their competitors. The attached original sales brochures, promo photo, and playfield photos should clarify this for you and are examples of Williams pins that used this spinner. It’s really not a big deal...it can be easily changed once you find an original Buccaneer spinner. The cool thing about the Buccaneer spinner is that it was only used on Buccaneer and the AAB version Ship Ahoy...it is unique to these titles.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image2 (resized).jpegpasted_image2 (resized).jpegpasted_image3 (resized).jpegpasted_image3 (resized).jpegpasted_image4 (resized).jpegpasted_image4 (resized).jpegpasted_image5 (resized).jpegpasted_image5 (resized).jpeg
    #56 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Very cool topic thread and exciting find on your Sample Buccaneer.
    My earliest production game is Wild Wheels (WW1001)
    [quoted image]
    Its main deviation from regular production is that the head is wired directly to CAB.
    (I.E. no jones plugs connectors)
    Not 100% sure this was intentional by engineers
    or poorly executed hack by some ill informed newbie.

Could you please post a photo of the inside of the Wild Wheels head? Thanks!

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

The spinner on your Buccanneer is 100% not the original spinner to your game and is a common spinner made by Williams for their own pins...Gottlieb would not have used a spinner from one of their competitors.

Thanks! I guess I will keep me eye out for a nice original spinner for my machine.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

Thanks! I guess I will keep me eye out for a nice original spinner for my machine.

I’d buy the stickers and put them on the current spinner until you find an original.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Could you please post a photo of the inside of the Wild Wheels head? Thanks!

My Wild Wheels is buried in the back of my storage unit, currently.
    The photo i posted is from my photo archives.
    I bought it from John Dayhuff in 2010.
    Maybe when it warms and dries up a bit i will dig it out,
    it needs to see the light of day.

1 week later
    #60 5 years ago

I was able to buy a NOS spinner thanks to PBR. Also replaced all the rings.

8D0BD145-7989-4056-B1A1-DD6CD719C363 (resized).jpeg8D0BD145-7989-4056-B1A1-DD6CD719C363 (resized).jpeg
    #61 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

I was able to buy a NOS spinner thanks to PBR. Also replaced all the rings.
    [quoted image]

Love that spinner!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Love that spinner!

Thanks for your help!

#63 5 years ago

No problem. I think the sample is super cool and it deserves good parts.

2 weeks later
    #64 5 years ago

Looks awesome...congrats on getting one!

2 weeks later
    #65 5 years ago

Well I must have looked at my Buccaneer hundreds of times by now, but tonight was the first time I paid close enough attention to see an “S” after the serial number on the front of the cabinet. I guess this means I can join the sample club now??

From what I gathered from this thread, Gottlieb started the serial numbering at #1000. Any idea what the typical cutoff number was for sample games?
    6ED46A4F-2654-4DC7-9D1A-F267075E49B2 (resized).jpeg6ED46A4F-2654-4DC7-9D1A-F267075E49B2 (resized).jpeg6CB270EF-342A-45C9-9DF1-EF29E9C3BE6E (resized).jpeg6CB270EF-342A-45C9-9DF1-EF29E9C3BE6E (resized).jpeg

2 months later
    #66 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

Well I must have looked at my Buccaneer hundreds of times by now, but tonight was the first time I paid close enough attention to see an “S” after the serial number on the front of the cabinet. I guess this means I can join the sample club now??
    From what I gathered from this thread, Gottlieb started the serial numbering at #1000. Any idea what the typical cutoff number was for sample games?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

There have been guesses that they made around 100 but not sure.

#67 4 years ago

Here's my El Dorado 01001 S sample game

el dorado 001 (resized).JPGel dorado 001 (resized).JPGel dorado 005 (resized).JPGel dorado 005 (resized).JPG
    #68 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

[quoted image][quoted image]

You can find some production numbers on IPSND :

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=391

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=766

#69 4 years ago

One of our customers had the golden unit for either a Lucky Hand or High Hand (or one of the variations). Forget if it was serial number 1000 or 1001, but it had pencil notes under the playfield and on the light board in the backbox but most noticable was that one of the colors on the cabinet was swapped to a very bright orange. I was told this was done to make sure that they didn't accidentally ship out the unit as it was used to verify any questions about assembly during manufacturing

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-wedghead-prototype-01001/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.