Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171205_193933 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I was just given an EM by some family: Skylab. However, the Machine doesn't turn on.

I connected a multi-meter to the 6 fuses i could find (only pulled one of them) seem to be intact.

Whats the next step?

thank you for your help

#2 6 years ago

Do you have credits? Any lights on? Do you know where the power switch is? (Under the cabinet, likely the right hand side) Is tilt illuminated?

#3 6 years ago

Williams games you have to press the left flipper button to get the game to turn on.

#4 6 years ago

First things first. Add the game to your pinside collection.

Welcome to the EM club. You will get this working in no time . . .

#5 6 years ago

If you are sure all the fuses are ok, add credits to the reel counter in the head ( in case there is no coin mech fitted inside the front door)

Press the left hand flipper button which usually turns the power on to show the cabinet lights. There might also be - not familiar with a Skylab- a power switch that will be situated under the right hand front cabinet base.

Once you actually have power on, then try pressing the start button which hopefully will start a game.

If still nothing, lift the playfield and look for a relay marked 'Start' ( if you have a schematic then this relay will be shown )and, using an insulated screwdriver or a piece of dowel rod, try activating the relay which should fire the game up. ( in case you aren't familiar with these machines, best never to touch anything inside in case of electric shock, hence using something non conductive)

Hopefully, you might now have a result. Let us know how you get on.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Do you have credits? Any lights on? Do you know where the power switch is? (Under the cabinet, likely the right hand side) Is tilt illuminated?

no lights, switch under the cabinet doesn't seem to do anything.

Quoted from schudel5:Williams games you have to press the left flipper button to get the game to turn on.

I did not know that. will try that when i get home from work

Quoted from jeffc:

First things first. Add the game to your pinside collection.
Welcome to the EM club. You will get this working in no time . . .

thanks for the encouragement, its added

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

If you are sure all the fuses are ok, add credits to the reel counter in the head ( in case there is no coin mech fitted inside the front door)
Press the left hand flipper button which usually turns the power on to show the cabinet lights. There might also be - not familiar with a Skylab- a power switch that will be situated under the right hand front cabinet base.
Once you actually have power on, then try pressing the start button which hopefully will start a game.
If still nothing, lift the playfield and look for a relay marked 'Start' ( if you have a schematic then this relay will be shown )and, using an insulated screwdriver or a piece of dowel rod, try activating the relay which should fire the game up. ( in case you aren't familiar with these machines, best never to touch anything inside in case of electric shock, hence using something non conductive)

will try these things (and the left flipper button) next time i'm home

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

First the great news:
plugged in, flipped bottom switch, pressed left flipper button - cabinet lights came on

the not so great news:
pressed start button, nothing happens.
haven't found the "start relay" yet...

thanks for everyone's help so far

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Newman911:

pressed start button, nothing happens.
haven't found the "start relay" yet...

Pretend you're a coin. Open the coin door and try to figure out the path you take to trip the switch and add a credit.

Can you add credits to the game? Is the tilt light on? Is there a ball in the game?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Pretend you're a coin. Open the coin door and try to figure out the path you take to trip the switch and add a credit.
Can you add credits to the game? Is the tilt light on? Is there a ball in the game?

when i put a coin in the game, it just goes to the coin return

from the image you can see that tilt light is on. (i'm guessing thats something significant)

i didn't put the balls back in the game from the time i moved, since i keep lifting up the playfield.
is that an error state?

20171205_193933 (resized).jpg20171205_193933 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

I'd just pull the game out, remove the back cover and manually advance the credit wheel by hand until the highest number is showing in the credit window for now. The tilt bob, bob wire, roll ball or one of the many other tilt switches may be closed. The tilt light may go off when credits added and the start button pushed.

#13 6 years ago

that was it
put a ball in, it comes right up.

now to fix the rubbers, and playfield

thank you for your help

#14 6 years ago

Excellent. Please check as resolved.

#15 6 years ago

This is a great reference: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

#16 6 years ago

I have 2 machines that were given to me.royal guard & liberty bell.when l turn on royal guard the ball pops out into the shoot and a motor keeps running in the cabinet. Liberty Bell does the same but the ball doesn't pop out and something is clicking in the back glass two relays. Can anyone help me out?

#17 6 years ago

Pinballer
Please start a new thread for each machine in order to help others with the same problem in the future.

As far as your problems, start with the basics. Verify your score reels are at zero and the score reel switches are set properly. This is most likely the problem on Liberty Bell.

Not sure on Royal Guard. The machine is confused due to a switch in the wrong position.

#18 6 years ago

O.k.thanks for the info.sorry I'm kinda new to this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.