11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by fflint_18
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo_(1).JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Hey All,

I just picked up an EM Gottlieb pin for restoration and the transformer is in terrible shape. Just from the looks of this thing I am nervous to turn on the machine. Do you think it needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

photo_(1).JPGphoto_(1).JPG

#2 11 years ago

Nope probably not. It should be fine
    Check the voltages coming out per pinrepair.com Looks way better than some ive seen

--Jeff

#3 11 years ago

Sweet, I will, thanks Jeff!!!

#4 11 years ago

Believe it or not it looks quite normal spraguga.

#5 11 years ago

yea all three of mine look basically like that...

transformers are pretty tough... i pulled one out of an old seeburg "trashcan" jukebox (a never ending re-purposing project that i may finish before i die) that looked like it was completely melted down, and the darn thing still worked... buzzed something wicked bad though... sold it to a guy doing a restore, and to the best of my knowledge, it is still working to this day...

#6 11 years ago

Thanks guys!

#7 11 years ago

The life of a transformer?

I work on large transformers at work. Unless you seriously short them (and fuses should blow to prevent this) or overheat them because of lack of cooling they can stand just about anything.

Will they get hot? Yes

Will some of the plates delaminate and it starts buzzing? Yes

Will they start looking like crap? Yes

But will they still work? Yes

25 yrs ago I asked an older engineer (long retired now) what their reliability was?

He told me if I ever saw one die of natural causes it would be the only one in my career. So far he's right.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-transformer-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.