Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Vic_Camp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Time To Up The Number Of EM Ratings To Make The Top 100 EMs”

• YES 17 votes
      74%
    • NO 2 votes
      9%
    • Arrrrr, what was the question 4 votes
      17%

(23 votes)

#1 9 years ago

EM Top 100
    Great to see so many reviews and rating now on the top 100 EM.
    Maybe time for Robin to change the min number of ratings to something like 5, Thoughts’?

#2 9 years ago

I was really surprised when I rated a handful of EMs that the quantity of ratings was so low. Rate the games people!

#3 9 years ago

I will check and see if we can up the number to 5 or maybe even higher.

#4 9 years ago

Most EMr's here don't seem to care much about ratings. And that carries over to those of us that also have DMDs.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I will check and see if we can up the number to 5 or maybe even higher.

That would be good, help keep the overly high votes down. Be interesting to see the new order.
    Thanks Robin.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most EMr's here don't seem to care much about ratings.

But lots do like it, too!
    EMers, SSer and DMMers - Its as much a fun thing as it is of importance.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

it is of importance.

I'm sure it is.

#8 9 years ago

Ratings mean very little without context of the rater. Someone loves drop targets so machines with drop targets get higher ratings. Someone likes AAB so games with AAB get higher ratings. Someone likes Bally's so Bally's get rated higher. Try to find examples of games before you purchase. Ratings mean nothing. How about all the people who hate EMs come in and rate these games and none of them score higher than a 6 for better or worse. Is it still important?

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

Is it still important?

I think what's more important is deciding what you like to look at and play. Not what somebody else thinks you should like and play. Otherwise you are going to spend your money and end up with a machine that even the person that rated it highly may not take off your hands.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm sure it is.

O-Din, you have changed the context of my post, with that quote!

Quoted from Chrisbee:

Its as much a fun thing as it is of importance.

Now read it!

For some of us, it’s a five hour round trip and $100 in fuel to view a machine. So to be able to read comments on the machine before committing 1/2 of Saturday and 3 cartons of beer, is a good thing. Even better when the reviews are by other Pinsiders.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think what's more important is deciding what you like to look at and play. Not what somebody else thinks you should like and play.

Agreed. I think Atlantis looks beautiful but am not as jazzed about the play. And yes - I know someone is probably going to yell at me for saying this.

I am not a fan of either the Joker Poker backglass or playfield but could play that thing for hours (read: did play it for hours at the Siverball Museum last weekend).

#12 9 years ago

beat apples vs pristine oranges with interpretation by a bipolar player of questionable exp.

you can take it for what's it worth, not sure i would let it weigh too heavy on what i would like or buy

3 months later
    #13 9 years ago

Does Pinside have a separate top 100 (or 50) for EMs?

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Does Pinside have a separate top 100 (or 50) for EMs?

Top 100 now

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/em

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

Din-O,
    changed you have post of my context , quote that!

4 years later
    #17 5 years ago

Resurrecting...I’m curious about EM ratings. It seems that games can move a lot (up or down) in a hurry in the Top 100. I know it’s because of the small pool of ratings on each game, and one very high or very low rating can make a big difference.

I am picking up my first EM this week (Abra Ca Dabra). Using it as an example, it looks like it was number 1 ranked game at one point. Now it’s down in the 20s.

That being said.....what would be the grouping of Gottlieb EM games that would be considered “A-listers”? “B-listers”? I’d like to explore more EM’s, but gosh darn, there are so many! And the IPBD EM list is vastly different than the Pinside EM list. Where can an EM newbie turn for some direction?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

That being said.....what would be the grouping of Gottlieb EM games that would be considered “A-listers”? “B-listers”?

some info here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-a-list

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Resurrecting...I’m curious about EM ratings. It seems that games can move a lot (up or down) in a hurry in the Top 100. I know it’s because of the small pool of ratings on each game, and one very high or very low rating can make a big difference.
    I am picking up my first EM this week (Abra Ca Dabra). Using it as an example, it looks like it was number 1 ranked game at one point. Now it’s down in the 20s.
    That being said.....what would be the grouping of Gottlieb EM games that would be considered “A-listers”? “B-listers”? I’d like to explore more EM’s, but gosh darn, there are so many! And the IPBD EM list is vastly different than the Pinside EM list. Where can an EM newbie turn for some direction?

It's not easy to state what EM's are the best or most collectible or even if an accurate A-list exist.

Bally, Williams and Gottlieb are most likely are at the top of the EM list of all the manufactures. It might be a good place to start since all three manufactures have so many great games to choose from and most of the time are separated by a fine line in game play etc.

Hopefully you have a serious EM collectors close by in driving distance from your location. There you could learn about EM's from conversation and playing their collection, forming your own opinions and taste on what you like about EM games. Also perhaps there might be some pinball shows close by that have some restored EM's to check out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-top-100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.