(Topic ID: 285953)

EM titles that have caught fire and burned down everything...

By Gott72

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by phil-lee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

iu (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

My wife noticed my right flipper switch sparking... and had a mild panic!

"THESE THINGS!! THEY COULD BURN DOWN EVERYTHING!"

I scoffed a little, and then wondered if perhaps there were EM machines noted for a fire. Anyone here know of EMs that ignited? I suppose it could happen, but I don't mean machines sprayed in WD40 or doused in gasoline. Just doing their job and melting down until the heat of a short ignited the wood and it went up in a plume of agony.

Or, as a bonus, just any pinball-fire related story. Like someone blowing WD40 on a live switch or something and getting a weird haircut soon after.

iu (resized).jpegiu (resized).jpeg
    #3 3 years ago

A recent EM looked like one that had been turned on in the morning and shut off late that night, for at least 7 years (judging from the Tax Permits still glued to it).
    Other than some blackening on one of the pop bumper caps there were no signs it would have ever caught fire.
    Fires on an EM come from BAD CORDS. Rare. More common is one being burnt down due to solvent-based cleaners and lubes filling the cabinet with fumes before powering up.
    Actually plugged in a few with cords that had been repaired or cracked all to hell. Still worked.
    Locked on burning coils? The smell would have alerted the Club Owner to yank the cord. But it has happened where the bottom board or head unit started smoldering.
    Its very rare for an EM to be the cause of a major fire, in my opinion.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-titles-that-have-caught-fire-and-burned-down-everything and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.