Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Wiggler-Work-04 (resized).jpg
IMG_1283 (resized).JPG
0Wiggler-Work-03 (resized).jpg
steinbach 1 kopie (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello to all community members!
I am new in this forum and I´m hoping if you could help me with a technical problem:
I´ve restored my EM pinball machine "The Wiggler" by Bally and now I can´t play with it.

Describing the problem:
After pressing the replay-button, the ball count-unit doesn´t stop with the first ball but counts all balls down.
No ball gets kicked by the trough into the shooter alley. So it´s game over.

Does anybody of you might know what the problem is and give me some advice how to fix it?

Yours,
Franz

#2 7 years ago

Hey Franz,

Welcome! Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in and help you with some good advice.

Just to give you some preliminary info, have you checked out the manual and schematic that's posted on ipdb? It lists the startup sequence that might help you focus your search while you're between help.

Personally, I'd look for misadjusted switch(es) on the ball return relay and ball release relay. Visually inspect for proper switch action. There might be a switch that's stuck closed or open or is a bit dirty.

Good luck!
Max

#3 7 years ago

Hello Max,
thanks a lot for your advice; I´ve already checked the switches solidly on the relays and the other switches as well but I couldn´t find the Problem yet;I will continue my search.

Best regards
Franz

#4 7 years ago

Hi franz
welcome to pinside. It is not a good start in helping when I write "I actually fear helping". The reasons are: The pin is complex / has multiball, You did a lot of work on the pin, You are new (?) to EM-pins, I am not familiar with multiball-pins.

Great - the ipdb has manual and schematics http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2777 .
You write in post-1: "... but counts all balls down" - hmm - when You start a game then the Ball-Count-Unit must step down so here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2777&picno=17188&zoom=1 (lower left corner) the "Ball In Play" lights up the "1". As You play through a game: It steps to "2", "3", "4", "5".
Am I allowed to read Your text: "I see the "1" then the "2" then the "3" then the "4" then the "5" then "Game Over" ?

If Your answer is "No - its other": Please describe by using the ipdb-picture for reference.
If Your answer is "Yes - I see the pin stepping through the balls till Game-Over": Does Your pin have paper tags telling what relay is what - this is the XY-Unit ? Look at the JPG - encircled red: Does Your Player-Reset-Relay constantly pull and does Your Score-Motor runs all the time / until "Game-Over" ? Can You locate the Player-Unit - have the pin toggled-off then manually step the Player-Unit DOWN completely - then toggle-on and start a game.
Do You have all three balls the pin needs - are the ball in the trough ready to be kicked-out ?

Have You tried following the instructions here http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2777/The_Wiggler.pdf on the first page - there is a description "sequence of operation" - question: Does Your pin follows the text (doing what is in the description) ? Greetings Rolf

#5 7 years ago

Hey Rolf,
yes I can locate the player unit,I think it´s in the backbox;but my english is not so good,normaly I speak german, so I can not understand,what you mean with:
"toggle off manually the Player unit down completely and then toggle- on and start a game"
thanks for your help and greetings
Franz

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from franz:

"toggle off manually the Player unit down completely and then toggle- on and start a game"

I believe what he means is: Turn the game off, locate the player unit, step it down (meaning, there should be two coils/solenoids. One for advancing the unit, and one for decrementing the unit). Decrement the player unit until it can't go farther. Then turn the game on and start a game.

#7 7 years ago

I had opened up my machine and manually held my "Player Reset" relay closed and seemed to act like what you had described.

on my machine , bottom of box , right hand side , fifth one from the back

I only speak English the German manual may just call it the "reset relay" found here http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2777

#8 7 years ago

Hello!
I need help with my EM pin "The Wiggler".

Description of the current Situation:
3 balls are in the trough; balls don´t get kicked into the shooter alley - ball count unit runs from 1 to 5 balls and counts all balls down, score motor runs until end of game - reset relay pulls simultaneaously with ball count unit and doesn´t stop doing this as long as ball count unit is active;

Simultaneously:
Player unit in the backbox doesn´t count - it always leaps forwards and backwards; step-up coil wants to count further, but reset coil prevents it by pulling - I don´t think it should work this way.
Tilt is on - bounce Switches for tilt are open. The game is over and I can´t get circuit on the playfield except for ball return sol. The lights on the playfield are all on but that´s another circuit (6V).

I hope someone can help me,
Greetings
Franz

#9 7 years ago

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2777/The_Wiggler_GE_.pdf

looking at the manual:

sequence of operation at start of game, (Spelabauf ?) ...
(2.) "start relay"
(b.) energizes the "hold relay" (halterelias ?) and turns off the Tilt light

now I would look at contacts on Start relay that energizes the hold relay

I hope this helps

#10 7 years ago

Hi!

Following the English schematics, there is an ohmic resistor (15Ω/ 10W) in front of the hold relay coil;

I don´t have this resistor in my machine (it is the German Version of "The Wiggler"), the wire (No. 36/yellow-brown) goes directly to the relay coil without resistor;
the hold relay doesn´t pull; when I manually pull the hold relay, the "Tilt Light" goes off.

Is it possible, that the resistor is the cause of the trouble?

Does anybody have a picture of the machine which shows where and how the resistor is installed in the German Version? (See the red-encircled region in the picture)

Greetings
Franz

steinbach 1 kopie (resized).jpgsteinbach 1 kopie (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Hi Franz
I still do not understand what happens on Your Ball-Count-Unit. Your "ball count unit runs from 1 to 5 balls and counts all balls down" - does this means: FIRST the Ball-Count-Unit steps in one direction - and then SECOND steps in the other direction ? Please explain.

The Bally schematics is a bit confusing - see on the bottom of the JPG and also look into the schematics. The common returning line "wire-yellow" runs away from the transformer - makes a turn - then makes another turn and then kind of "comes back". Above (see my blue line) is 6 Volt "POWER", below (my red line) is 50 Volt "POWER" --- consumers (6 Volt Lamps / 50 Volt Relays) are in between - they ALL use "wire-yellow" as the "returning line to the transformer".

The resistor must be in an american version of the pin - the resistor must be in an german version of the pin. A pre-owner must have had some problems and he has taken away the resistor.
IF (if) You want to have the functionality "TILT (gekippt)" in Your pin: You MUST have such an resistor of 15 Ohm / 10 Watt.

The "logic of mounting such an resistor in Your pin" is: Bally wanted to save some money - one relay less mounted means some dollars saved (so they did not mount a Tilt-Relay). (In a running Wiggler) When You start a new game the Number-3-Reset-Relay gets activated - pulls and closes its switch - current can flow to "Coil on Hold-Relay" --- the relay pulls and closes its "Self-Hold-Switch, encircled rosa / pink" - relay stays pulling. When You bang a Tilt (gekippt) the "encircled grey Tilt-Switch on plumb / pendulum Tilt" closes - ALL electrons NOW run through this closed switch - NO ELECTRONS run through the "Coil on Hold-Relay" - the relay therefore quits pulling and this "quit pulling" we see as "Tilt / gekippt", see the "Tilt-Light" in the JPG - "relay is not pulling equals switch is closed".

The Pendulum-Tilt-Switch closing makes a short (my grey stuff) - but the fuse shall not blow (fuses do blow when there is a real short): This resistor acts as an consumer (like a relay is an consumer) - the Hold-Relay quits pulling - and "quits pulling means: encircled rosa / pink switch on Hold-Relay opens --- no more connection downwards (in the JPG)".

You write in post-10 "manually pull the Hold-Relay makes the Tilt-Light go off". Do manipulate on the Hold-Relay to have it "pulling forever" --- do NOT bang Tilt / gekippt.

I would like to try an temporary work-around - it is not a fix - it is only to stop the Player-Unit being stepped in BOTH directions - I want to cheat a bit and have the Unit ONLY step-down.
Toggle-off the pin and pull-out the 220 Volt Power-Cord (Safety Reasons) - do You find the "Player Advance Relay" ? It has a "switch to be closed when the relay is pulling" --- one wire is of color-23-blue-yellow and the other wire is of color-48-green-black. Sneak-in a stripe of paper in-between the two contact-points - MAKE this switch open all the time (((again: this is not fixing - this only shall stop the faulty stepping-up on the Player-Unit))).

Please write about the Ball-Count-Unit - what exactly happens there ? Greetings Rolf

0Wiggler-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Wiggler-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

here is the image of bottom box with resister shown.

Quoted from franz:

Simultaneously:
Player unit in the backbox doesn´t count - it always leaps forwards and backwards; step-up coil wants to count further, but reset coil prevents it by pulling - I don´t think it should work this way.

the Player-Up stepper unit is a full reset unit that resets to a "zero position" and then later steps up to player one , , I believe this is what is happening while the ball count stepper is counting

I didn't look at the color code on the schematic for where to install the resistor , I can take another picture at a different angle if needed

IMG_1283 (resized).JPGIMG_1283 (resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

Hi,
Sorry,but I can not find the resistor; please maybe you can send me an other Picture, where I can understand who the resistor is installed.

greetings Franz

#14 7 years ago

Hi Rolf,

at first many thanks for your informative description.
Please excuse my not so perfect english,because I´m from Austria and I speak german normally.

I have installed a new resistor 15 Ohm/11Watt like the schematic.

Now following Situation on pin "The Wiggler":

The "Hold Relay is pulling and light for "Tilt" is off.
I can start a game - all Score Counter and Wiggle Jet Counter are reseted - the Ball Count Unit works normally-1 ball in Play - 1 Player can play - 3 balls came in the trough - ball kicker solenoid shoots 1 ball in the ball kicker alley- that´s all!
On playfield nothing is working; no flipper coil,no slingshot switches,no bumper,no rollover Switch - nothing; all lights befunctioning.

I think it´s a central Problem or error,but where?

Greetings Franz

#15 7 years ago

Hi Franz
I am pleased, happy - Your pin does nicely start-up, reset and give ONE ball to the shooter alley (Abschusskanal).
Bally, Williams, Gottlieb do not want us player to activate the flipper-fingers when the pin is in "Game-Over" / when the pin is busy retting. They have some switches to control this --- see my JPG - and may look in the schematics. When we look and say electrons flow from the transformer power-side to the many relays etc.: We say from transformer to "Switch on Game-Over-Relay" to "Switch on #3-Reset-Relay" to "Switch on Hold-Relay" to "Switch on Player-Advance-Relay" to the playfield-relays, bumpers, slingshots, flipperfingers.
Want to look at these Relays and switches ? Greetings Rolf

0Wiggler-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Wiggler-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Hi Rolf,

It´s done!

"The Wiggler" is running with all features.

The cause of the problem was the Hold Relay;there was a bad contact on a closing switch (wire 15 red/white and 50 white).
I had measured on this switch only 15-20V;I have cleaned the contacts and this was the cause.
Now I´m very happy, so I had worked many hours on my Wiggler.

Thank you very much for your help and the other community members´ as well!

If somebody also has problems with his pin by Bally, I would also try to help.

Greetings Franz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-the-wiggler-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.