3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PopBumperPete
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2016Feb11_018_(resized).JPG
    2016Feb11_017_(resized).JPG
    BulbSocketTypes_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Even though it's not usually called out on the schematics, Gottlieb did intend for flasher bulbs (455s) to be used in certain spots on the backbox. Sometimes there's an indication on the schematic, but usually you have to go by the bulb socket. One way to tell is whether the socket is flush with the wood on the front of the insert panel. They're placed flush to better accommodate the round globe of the 455s. But this can be hard to tell sometimes.

Another quick way to tell is to look at the sockets from the backside of the panel. The sockets used for the flasher bulbs are different than the ones used for the 44s (or 47s). Note that they have a 'button' style back, whereas the sockets for the regular bulbs have an exposed spring.

The two types are shown in this picture.

Gottlieb bulb socket types

So when in doubt about whether a flasher bulb was intended or not, the bulb socket itself tells the story.

#3 3 years ago

Great advice DF thks

#4 3 years ago

Is there any ideas on why the sockets are different? Pre wired sockets on the assembly line?

#5 3 years ago

Good tip! Thanks!

#6 3 years ago

vs.
    WWDFD?

#7 3 years ago

Which manufacturer had the beveled holes in the front of the panel to allow the globe shape of the 455? Was that Bally?

#8 3 years ago

Love this! Always wondered where they should go / if they should go. Thanks.

#9 3 years ago

Ok, I wanted to put flashers in my Sing Along..... In the backglass behind the MUSIC sign. So, I have to first check the socket..... I'm new to the hobby and just thought I could place them wherever I wanted!

#10 3 years ago

I have them in my Sing Along in that very spot. Can't remember if they are identified that way in the schematic but they definitely fit.

#11 3 years ago

Same on my Sing Along - I saw them flashing there on Vic Camp's machine, so I copied the flasher placement.

Will be nice to know if it was original!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Ok, I wanted to put flashers in my Sing Along..... In the backglass behind the MUSIC sign. So, I have to first check the socket..... I'm new to the hobby and just thought I could place them wherever I wanted!

You can as long as there's room.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

You can as long as there's room.

or bevel the edges of the holes to allow for bulb clearance.

#14 3 years ago

Here's what the front of the sockets look like, showing the difference between a "flush" mount for the flasher bulb, and the regular recessed socket for the normal bulbs.

2016Feb11_017_(resized).JPG

2016Feb11_018_(resized).JPG

#15 3 years ago

Nice tip!

#16 3 years ago

My score reel lights look weird on Melody . What kind of bulbs are they? Sockets are different from normal 44/47 's

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

My score reel lights look weird on Melody . What kind of bulbs are they? Sockets are different from normal 44/47 's

Probably a wedge base instead of bayonet? I think those are a 555.

#18 3 years ago

My Atlantis has flashers behind "Atlantis" on the BG, but the sockets are "normal", and not flush. Is it safe to assume someone thought it looked cool and simply inserted flashers? It does look great, and I wouldn't change it, but just wondering if the above guidance is universally true.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from pocketscience:

My Atlantis has flashers behind "Atlantis" on the BG, but the sockets are "normal", and not flush. Is it safe to assume someone thought it looked cool and simply inserted flashers? It does look great, and I wouldn't change it, but just wondering if the above guidance is universally true.

I don't think Dirt is suggesting you *have* to put them in a certain place, just that the factory installed sockets for them. I have and will continue to put flashers where I think they look good by modifying the wood to fit them.

#20 3 years ago

think you might be onto something there

just checked my Card Wizz, flasher socket was on the lamp behind the magicians flash

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,200.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 218.00
    $ 269.00
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside