Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by outerorbit
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GtbSpringHook.jpg
    GtbReplayMod.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

For Gottliebs that have a standard credit unit to award and track credits and replays, there's a simple, reversible mod that can be made that:

a) puts the game on free play; and
    b) resets the credit unit to 0 at the start of each game.

This might be interesting for folks who would prefer replays to "mean something" in home environments (they do, but that's another discussion.)

Anyway, the idea is that at the start of each game, the credit unit is at zero. The real objective for beating the game is to achieve specials, or replays. So consider this as a 'points' system. As replays are won, they're worth a point, and the most points wins. In the case of a tie, then highest score wins. Since the credit unit resets to 0 at the start of each game, there's no need to remember what it had been, and the credit unit has the full range of 'points' available to score (typically 15 or 26, depending on era of game).

The mod is super simple. To set it on free play, make sure the middle switch is always closed. This is the switch that detects if there are credits available to allow the start path to work. The switch can be adjusted so it doesn't open when the unit is at zero, or a small jumper wire can be used, etc.

To set it so the credit unit resets each time, just flip the top ratchet arm up and over (counterclockwise), so it no longer 'catches' the cam on a decrement. When a game is started, the Subtract Replay coil will energize, pull in the plunger, and the cam will zip back home, since the ratchet isn't there to stop it.

To undo, just flip it back in place, and adjust the middle switch back to open at the zero position.

[Edit]
    May also want to consider moving the Match feature In/Out adjustment plug to the Out position, so a Match credit isn't awarded at the end of the game. Although it does offer an element of chance for a come-from-behind victory.

Here's a picture of a credit unit, annotated (in this picture, the ratchet hasn't been flipped over, but you'll get the idea).

GtbReplayMod.jpgGtbReplayMod.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Sweet. Will try that tonight. Of course I will have to practice more, Abra still kicks my butt, lucky to get a free game.

#3 8 years ago

I won those games. I ain't givin' them back...

#4 8 years ago

Thanks! Very good to know.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for that cool tip. My Volley keeps getting up to 15 games.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the info. Great to know. One of the reasons I love the Gottliebs is because they make going for specials as fun as going for high scores. I always try to get as many cracks in a game as possible just like I was playing in an arcade back in the old days.

#7 8 years ago

This is a cool idea! Thanks for sharing the information.

#8 8 years ago

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

Rob
    Creditdotpinball.com

#9 8 years ago

This is great especially if the credit unit would have maxed out if not reset prior to starting the game... Love it ! Thanks

1 week later
    #10 8 years ago

I tried this on 2 of my 60's wedgeheads and when I moved the arm out of the way neither replay unit would advance to add credits. The spring connecting the two ratchet arms no longer pulls in the lower ratchet. Still playing with it but looks like relocating the spring may be necessary

#11 8 years ago

Oh yeah! Guess it would have helped if I remembered to include that step, eh? I dug one out that I'd changed, and I can see where I moved the ratchet spring over to the same post hole as the return spring. That's what I get from going by memory too much. Thanks much for the catch!

(Could also slip it under the nearest switch stack screw, which gives a bit more clearance for the spring from the cam, but this post works.)

GtbSpringHook.jpgGtbSpringHook.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Yep, works now...doing this to all my games! Thanks for the tip!

#13 8 years ago

Great tip - not seen this before.

For AAB, guess only do the first switch adjustment.....

5 years later
    #14 2 years ago

I tried this last night sounded like a great idea but I was unable to get it to function properly. I even tried moving the spring from the first suggested location to the switch screw post. Neither position was able to reset the reel back to zero. I also had issue with the it skipping credit values when hitting a special target. So I put it all back together the way it was. Unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-tech-tip-convert-gottlieb-to-reset-credit-unit-per-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.