(Topic ID: 85265)

EM Tech Rates - What do YOU think is acceptable?

By AtlanticPinball

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I've seen several posts here about people who use techs and either have a great or poor experience with them.

I also know several people who own pins, but don't know how to maintain them. I repair them - mostly EM pins, but have worked on solid state games too. Most of my work experience is in EM technology, so that's my comfort zone. People in the area get directed to me when they have an EM that "no one else can fix."

If the repair is done my way (new or "trusted" rebuilt parts), I warranty the job - up to 1 year in most cases - on EM pins. Solid State game warranties vary depending on what work was done (especially for electronics because I typically don't do that work myself, so it depends on who did the electronics work and what their warranty is). I do not warranty "jury rig" repairs if requested by the customer, and will not make any repairs that will render a game unsafe. I always give an estimate, and remind the customer that the estimate is not a guarantee of the final cost - as chasing problems in EM games can occasionally take a lot of time. I've been getting a lot of referrals from my customers, and rarely get called back for warranty work. When I do get a warranty call, I try to get to it as quickly as my schedule allows.

I know of one person in my area who charges $75/hour and in my opinion, doesn't do the work properly (sorry, I won't name any names). I know of other people in my area who charge similar rates and do very good work, but mostly focus on solid state machines. The good people, I do reciprocal work with - I help them with EM issues, and they help me with SS issues.

For paying jobs, I have two types of rates - on-site and in-shop. My in-shop rate is discounted, mostly because I can squeeze in pinball work around my "day job", family events, etc. I charge for travel depending on the job (I usually waive travel time on big jobs with less than an hour of driving).

I'm curious as to what many of you feel is a "fair" hourly rate to pay for EM pinball repairs *if* you had to have them made? I'm not looking to "get rich", but like everyone else, I've got a family to take care of and I'd prefer to get paid what I'm worth.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful and honest comments.

#2 10 years ago

I should have also added - my current rates are LESS than those posted above ($50/hour on-site, and $25/hour in-shop), and that if the cost of the work will exceed the estimated price, I notify the customer beforehand and get their permission to continue.

#3 10 years ago

The fact is there are very few people that can repair a pinball machine properly. Just like any specialized craft - your knowledge and skill are valuable assets. Don't be embarrassed to ask for what you feel your time and expertise are worth. If someone does not feel comfortable paying that much to repair their game, you now can make a fair cash offer to take the non-working game off their hands. $100 an hour plus travel is not out of the question.

#4 10 years ago

Think of it like a mechanic, computer repair, hvac repair, plumbers etc.. They all are around 60-80 ( maybe even higher since it's been a while since I have had any service) per hour depending on location. That would be the fair price. It's essentially the same type of service.

#5 10 years ago

I think 25 an hour in shop is a screaming deal. I would fully expect that calling a pinball tech to my house would cost me 80 for the first hour and 60 or so each additional.

Just look at what a professional mechanic charges. I think our skills could easily fall in that range.

#6 10 years ago

i would ask for something in the range of what a "skilled tradesman" would charge... i don't think that 50-75 an hour (dependent on location) for on-site repairs would be unreasonable, given your warranty...

personally, i really really really really don't like paying someone a "travel charge"... getting to the job is part of doing the job... i would rather pay a slightly higher rate... purely psychological, i know, but charging me for "travel" makes me feel like i am being nickel and dimed...

side note: if you aren't going to "name names", don't bring it up in the first place...

#7 10 years ago

I know a guy that was local that was an awesome EM tech. He quit doing repairs for people but used to charge $90 an hour. Personally, I can't imagine someone paying that. I'd be nervously watching the clock the whole time. I guess my frugality forced me to learn to do it myself or network with someone that can.

#8 10 years ago

I charge $75 for a visit + $25/hour - EMs I like to do at home since it usually isn't something easy...

#9 10 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the input so far. I appreciate the discussion and the variety of responses.

@ccotenj, I understand how you feel about paying for travel charges. I don't like paying those myself, so we're on the same page. It's an issue I've been grappling with ever since I got into doing this for money. As I said, if it's a big job, I don't charge travel. I also typically don't charge travel for less than an hour of travel time each way. I don't have any hard-and-fast rules about it - I just do what feels right.

Occasionally, I have a customer who wants me to repair his game. Sometimes, it's only a 10-minute tweak, but since I charge a one-hour minimum, I'll do SOMETHING to his game to make it worth their while (repair flakey lamp sockets, clean/wax the PF, etc). The other problem is that if I don't charge travel, I lose now lose two hours of potential work (round-trip travel time) for a one-hour gig - not a big deal when you're making extra cash, but it hurts when you need to feed the family. Someone else mentioned charging a higher rate for the first hour, and a lower rate each additional hour. Just curious, what's your opinion on that? I kinda like it...

#10 10 years ago

i wouldn't mind the "flat fee" for a visit, with a "per hour" fee tagged on... that sounds reasonable... that way you can cover your travel, and the customer doesn't feel nickel and dimed...

i guess i look at it this way... my employer (well, myself, since i'm self employed) doesn't pay me to drive back and forth to work...

#11 10 years ago

I have seen others comparing Pin techs with other tech fields such as Plumbers , Carpenters , Painters Automotive etc.

When Pin techs are as numerous and as readily available as they are then the prices can be comparable to them.

Pin techs especially good Tech are very hard to come by. Off hand only a few professional techs come to mind that I would let work on my machines. Clay Harrel, Ray Brackins and a total of maybe 5 others in the country that I would even consider (Besides myself of course) . None however are close to me (3hrs one way) or the average Pinball Homeowner.

The lack of Pinball techs yet alone Good Pinball techs means that you are more valuable then the average HVAC mechanic.

You should charge a rate that is fair for your skills and you should charge a fair rate for the time getting to a location.
    Gas and tolls are not cheap.

$100 per hour for a good tech is not out of bounds.

If the rate is deemed to high let the person in need shop for another tech and good luck with that.

Those on Pinside may not agree as many of us work on our own machines and our knowledge is more involved with the hobby. Pinsiders are not the average joe/jane that has a Pinball machine in their house and knows only how to press the start button. Just as the average person can't fix their TV or their other appliance.

#12 10 years ago

@eddie...

you need to think that through again... hint: everyone needs plumbers... very few people need em repairmen...

write the sentence this way and you will see what i mean... "the lack of em pinball machines out there..." vs. "the lack of em pinball repairmen"... off the top of my head, i'd bet the ratio of "qualified em repairmen" to "em machines" isn't much different (if anything, less) than the ratio of "qualified plumbers" to "plumbing systems"...

if you really believe there are only 6 qualified people in the entire country that you will allow to work on your machines, i don't know what to tell you...

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

@eddie...
    you need to think that through again... hint: everyone needs plumbers... very few people need em repairmen...
    if you really believe there are only 6 qualified people in the entire country that you will allow to work on your machines, i don't know what to tell you...

There are many pinball repair techs that can do a repair.

Doing it the correct way with attention to detail is another matter completely.

As in any field there are good and there are great I prefer the great.

The field for Pinball techs is very small and in that field only a few techs stand out.

Yes everyone needs plumbers and they are available.

If its your EM or SS pin and you need repairs, then the Pinball Tech is the most important tech at the time is he not?

Supply and demand and a good Pinball tech is the most limited in supply.

#14 10 years ago

Just call a stern dealer that sell pins and video games and ask what they charge to get a base rate and charge less since you are independant shop

#15 10 years ago

80+ per hour

#16 10 years ago

Wow i had no idea that seems over priced

#17 10 years ago

Scott's been at my house for repair work and definitely knows his stuff. I have no problem paying a fair wage for skilled work. Anything over 50 an hour, I think I would have just lived with the issues I had. I think if you charge much more than that, you'll get less work. Just an opinion.

#18 10 years ago

Warrantying an EM pinball repair for a year is absolutely insane.

ANYTHING goes wrong with the game in that time - and it's an EM, so it probably will - and you'll be expected to repair it for free.

EM repair is a specialized skill. $100-150 for the first hour and $50-80 additional hour depending on location seems fair to me.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

ANYTHING goes wrong with the game in that time - and it's an EM, so it probably will - and you'll be expected to repair it for free.
    EM repair is a specialized skill. $100-150 for the first hour and $50-80 additional hour depending on location seems fair to me.

I don't warranty the whole game unless I sell it - because I go over everything before I sell a game. On the otherhand, if I rebuild your flippers, and your drop targets stop working (unless somehow it's a related issue) I don't warranty the drop targets.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from cornfree:

Scott's been at my house for repair work and definitely knows his stuff. I have no problem paying a fair wage for skilled work. Anything over 50 an hour, I think I would have just lived with the issues I had. I think if you charge much more than that, you'll get less work. Just an opinion.

You have a very valid point which is also part of my decision process. The more I charge, there are fewer people who can afford my services. Also, fixing EM pins if I charge a lot more per hour, I may get to the point where the game costs more to repair than it's worth...and I'd rather see the game get played and enjoyed by a person or family than not.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

assuming the machine has been properly gone through, they don't break that easily... play it regularly, and other than changing the occasional bulb, it'll be fine... don't forget, these things were built to make money, and they didn't make money when broken... and they saw a helluva lot more use (and abuse) on route than they will ever see in your home...

at that "rate", 5 hours of repair would exceed the value of many machines...

i don't care what people charge, i have no skin in that game... but i know i wouldn't want to try to make a living doing it... its a very limited market, servicing a luxury item that generally has little value... read: it ain't plumbing...

#22 10 years ago

One of the problems is exactly how much "repair" the game either needs or the owner wants. Some people already have a game that is working (or previously shopped out) and now it has a problem. I feel it is reasonable to charge a rate similar to if the "Maytag" or Sear's repair man comes to fix your Washer/Dryer etc. They charge for a service call, they charge an hourly rate, they charge a lot for parts, and they may even charge for a return service call to install the part. But no one should expect a game repair to only cost $25 just because they just picked the game up for $100 at a garage sale.

Other people have a basket case and want it repaired and fully shopped (and some are not willing to do ANY of the work themselves). It is these cases that could be difficult to charge a premium (>$75/Hr.) when the game may require 10+ hours of time to make operating reliably. In these cases, you may chose to discount the hourly rate, or quote a fixed fee for completing the repairs. Like $250 for a decent shop job (cleaning, new rubbers, bulb replacement and minor repairs, not major overhaul of assemblies). Obviously, if someone brings you a game that has either been badly neglected, or previously serviced by a total idiot, the cost could either be much higher, or the repair just turned down.

I tend to agree, that your in-shop rate is greatly underselling your services. Unless you chose and the owner agrees to pay you for "restoration work" that many worn EMs games require to make them operate properly and reliably. Then, it may be a good deal for both of you (due to the number of hours required).

Charging a premium for the first hour and a reduced rate for any additional hours seems to be the most reasonable approach to structuring service fees for pinball games. A per mile trip charge is reasonable, especially since you offer a "bring it to my shop" option. If the owner isn't willing to bring the game to you, it makes sense that your time spent driving to a distant location (both ways) is also worth something.

#23 10 years ago

I don't mind paying a solid price for quality work. What drives me crazy is paying someone by the clock to learn how to fix something. I have had this experience more than once locally and now go about 75 miles for the service of a qualified tech whose education I do not need to subsidize.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

assuming the machine has been properly gone through, they don't break that easily... play it regularly, and other than changing the occasional bulb, it'll be fine... don't forget, these things were built to make money, and they didn't make money when broken... and they saw a helluva lot more use (and abuse) on route than they will ever see in your home...
    at that "rate", 5 hours of repair would exceed the value of many machines...
    i don't care what people charge, i have no skin in that game... but i know i wouldn't want to try to make a living doing it... its a very limited market, servicing a luxury item that generally has little value... read: it ain't plumbing...

It's a sliding scale...but generally I like to walk out of an EM repair with $200-$300. That's fair, at least in New York City - obviously it would be less elsewhere. If it exceeds the value of the game, that's a call for the owner to make beforehand. It can take an awful lot of work tracking down various EM issues.

The key is to make it clear - is this a game in decent shape that you've had for a while and something broke? Or is this a garage sale find that needs a complete reconditioning?

Cause bringing an EM back from the grave is gonna take a hell of a lot more time than just 2 or 3 hours, and I'm not taking on a project like that unless I have serious money coming my way.

#25 10 years ago

^^^

all fair enough...

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's a sliding scale...but generally I like to walk out of an EM repair with $200-$300. That's fair, at least in New York City - obviously it would be less elsewhere. If it exceeds the value of the game, that's a call for the owner to make beforehand. It can take an awful lot of work tracking down various EM issues.
    The key is to make it clear - is this a game in decent shape that you've had for a while and something broke? Or is this a garage sale find that needs a complete reconditioning?
    Cause bringing an EM back from the grave is gonna take a hell of a lot more time than just 2 or 3 hours, and I'm not taking on a project like that unless I have serious money coming my way.

Word!

I just delivered a Captain Fantastic back to a customer, and that took almost 40 hours to bring back from the dead! It needed major surgery!

#27 10 years ago

i bought my em guy 3 cases of his choice beer for his work

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-tech-rates-what-do-you-think-is-acceptable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.