Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0799 (resized).JPG
IMG_0797 (resized).JPG
IMG_9437 (resized).JPG
IMG_9436 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I have a 1969 Gottlieb Hearts and Spades that will not subtract ball in play, but resets just fine. Kicks ball out but when drained, it stays on ball 5. No power at trough switch. Also, 500 pt. relay when tripped, no score motor. I can manually start score motor and it will score 500 and the relay will release. Any ideas? Thanks

#2 7 years ago

For the 500 point problem, try cleaning and adjusting the switches on the 500 point relay. One of those switches is supposed to close and make the motor run when the relay pulls in. It sounds like that switch is not making good contact, so the motor never starts turning.

When working on relay switches, it's always a good idea to tighten down the switch stack screws before making adjustments. Also, it's good to check for a detached wire at the solder lugs of the switch blades.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

Thanks TimMe will do.

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

Ok, cleaned switches and checked wire connections. All good. I'm having trouble reading schematic. Almost everything on this game scores 500 points. Minus pops and center rollover and target. All the cards trip, 500 pt relay pulls in, but score motor will not run. I can manually start score motor while 500 pt relay locked on and it will score the 500 and relay releases. I've gone thru everything and checked for loose connections and cleaned every contact. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

IMG_9436 (resized).JPGIMG_9436 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Okay, it sounds like the score motor 2B is doing its job, so I would check the contacts in
the Q (Series) Relay. Make sure all are making well. And while you're at it, it might not
be a bad idea to also check the contacts in A (Spin Score Delay) Relay.
This is to run the score motor while the 500 point relay is energized. Any other problems
we can check later. Also carefully check for lose wires/poor connections on solder taps.. (T)

#6 7 years ago

Correct on score motor 2B is disengaging 500 pt relay. Not sure which relay is Q and A. Strip of which relay is which is kind of messed up.

IMG_9437 (resized).JPGIMG_9437 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

Hi cd1954
a nice, good, helpful information about a relay is mentioned in the "list of relays". I look at Your snippet of schematics - the "A-Relay" --- and I read ... (at: contacts): 2A, 1B. This means: The A-Relay has TWO switches of "type-A" and one switch of "type-B". And (as an example) the "R-Relay" has ONE "type-C" switch.
"type-A": A two-bladed Normally-Open-Switch (switch closes when the relay pulls).
"type-B": A two-bladed Normally-Closed-Switch (switch opens when the relay pulls).
"type-C": A three-bladed Make-and-Brake-Switch.
So look out for relays with 2A, 1B (A-Relay) and 1A, 1B (Q-Relay), look for color-of-wires, greetings Rolf

#8 7 years ago

Nice explaination by rolf, and to add, I took a couple of pics earlier this afternoon..
In both the Q (Series Relay) (which is the prime suspect) and A (Spin Score Delay Relay),
there's only one set of closed contacts to be checked..
Both of these sets of contacts in each relay need to be closed to complete the circuit to
the Score Motor when the V (500 Point) Relay energizes..
If still no luck, maybe re-clean and re-seat the playfield plugins'

IMG_0797 (resized).JPGIMG_0797 (resized).JPG

IMG_0799 (resized).JPGIMG_0799 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Hello Rolf and Morpar!
Thank you for all the information. I'll carefully check both of these relays and get back to you guys. Thanks again!

#10 7 years ago

OK guys, here's what I have.
500 pt targets and rollovers still locking 500 pt relay. I can manually trip series relay, and 500 pt relay locks on and no score motor. I'm stumped.

#11 7 years ago

This thread can wrap up! It turns out a wire was off at a tilt switch on the left side under the playfield. I was retracing connections on all targets and rollovers and bumped into the wayward wire. Thanks again for every ones help! What a great group of folks!

#12 7 years ago

Good find!

#13 7 years ago

That's great news. Now you can enjoy a machine that I consider a very good player..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-tech-help-hearts-and-spades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.