Hokus_Pokus.jpg
zero_pos.JPG
zero_pos.JPG
Scr_Motor_Switching.jpg
coin_mech.JPG
credit_mech.jpg
GameOver_RE.jpg
LockRelay.jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I am a EM newbie, I've got a project on my hands. What i have done so far is new rubbers, i replaced the fuse holder, and cleaned it up a lot, all of the rust gone. All of the switches on the playfield work fine. Last night I put the plastics back on and I tried a few games.

My first problem:
It worked good for about five games. After my last ball on my last game, after it counted down my bonuses, It wouldn't work again. The light on the backglass did not go to "Game Over", and the power button on the coin door didn't do anything. There isn't any motor running, or anything like that..it just acts dead. Is there a restart relay or switch that i need to adjust or something? It was late last night, so i had to crash and didn't have time to really get into it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do to trouble shoot this? thanks
~Nick

#2 11 years ago

Since it counted your bonus the ball registered the outhole. So it sounds like a contact to control the game over relay. A quick check would be to lift the pf and finger the game over relay. Once that locks over try starting a new game. GL

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

A quick check would be to lift the pf and finger the game over relay.

Thanks, I will have a look tonight after work. I feel this game could be real good, if i get it dialed it correctly.

#4 11 years ago

By your description it seems that the Pins was in really bad shape. I know its a pain in the rear and will take a while but you should really go through every leaf switch with a file and clean the contacts...as well as the bonus, match point, etc contacts. Just some food for though. Let me know what you find.

#5 11 years ago

I understand to NEVER use contact cleaner.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

take a while but you should really go through every leaf switch with a file and clean the contacts

This is my plan for Saturday, while watching some football.

#7 11 years ago

Yes, those contacts will build up carbons from firing...and then when it sits for a while that will turn into corrosion and stop the switches from making a connection. I have also seen two contacts corroded together and not separating during game play, and I had an Abra Ca Dabra that had been sitting so long that some of the switches were bent away from "home" so when the wheel turned nothing happened.
Yes, MOST contact cleaners are highly flammable...not a good idea where sparks happen often.

#8 11 years ago

update: So i had a little bit of time to look into it, and on the bottom of the cab is a row of relays and switches, one says restart. I can manual move the switch and it will start back up..now is this my problem, or am i just manual starting a game? I thought maybe it was sticking or maybe the coil was bad, which i know they don't go bad that often? Is this even what i should be looking for? or do i need to look at/for a different one.

Also does anyone know what the coil that says "lock" means? I noticed that it was a little discolored and hotter then the other ones. Just wondering what its job was. thanks.

#9 11 years ago

Do you have a Schematic? Unfortunately there is not one on IMDB, can you tell me where I can get one from ? Makes it easy for me to help you.

The Lock relay on a lot of Bally Ems does two things, but the newer machine they only do one thing.

The lock RE. is on all the time so that is why it looks discoloured and always warm. The Lock RE on most machines turns on the GI lights and On ALL machines de-energises the Game over Trip RE. See schematic.

The game not resetting as in the OP post. First you said the Game over light did not come on. Check the bulb is OK. The game over light comes on when the Game over RE changes. Check the two coils on the Game over RE (should be around 50ohms) and check all the switches change state when you latch and release the RE.

Let us know the results and we will go from there.

LockRelay.jpgLockRelay.jpg

#10 11 years ago

I read an earlier post from you and now have the same Schematic as you do.

Can you read a schematic? If not by the time I’m finished with you, you will!!

#11 11 years ago

Chris,
where did you pull the schematic from?

--Jeff

#12 11 years ago

Here is the schematics.....http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=2878

I am know a bit about how to read them, but still a newbie when it come to them, so be patient
Thanks guys for getting back to me.

When you say "RE" do you mean the whole thing...like the coil, switches everything, or are you talking about just the leaf switches. does RE stand for relay? just want to use the right terms.

Quoted from Chrisbee:

Check the two coils on the Game over RE

Do i check the coil while it is in the machine?

Also the bulbs are fine, The not resetting problem is not consistant, sometimes it will work for a couple games, then i have to manually restart it.

thanks sorry first project.

#13 11 years ago

Just a thought.. I have the same amps on my fuse's but i am using slow blow on a couple instead of fast blow...could that be doing anything?

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

Just a thought.. I have the same amps on my fuse's but i am using slow blow on a couple instead of fast blow...could that be doing anything?

No, and if your problem "is not consistent" I really think you have a contact problem. A leaf switch somewhere is close enough to make contact at times but not close enough to be consistent.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

A leaf switch somewhere is close enough to make contact at times but not close enough to be consistent.

sounds good. Tomorrow i plan on going through every leaf switch and file them, i will look and see if one is too close together. thank you.

#16 11 years ago

Another thought.. i want to clean and file the leaf switches, but i am getting conflecting info. Can i use a metal file on these or do i need to buy flexstone?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

When you say "RE" do you mean the whole thing...like the coil, switches everything

Yes, the whole thing is the Relay, and Yes RE. = Relay, this is also used on the schematic.

Quoted from mojozone:

Do i check the coil while it is in the machine?

Yes, check them in the machine, but power off. You may get an odd ready is a switch is stuck closed. But generally you can check while in the machine.

Sorry, if we are telling you “how to suck eggs”, but first we need to know what your experience is so we can talk at the same level. This will come clear over the next few posts.

My , and Jeff’s(Way2Wryd) approach to fault finding is.
1 Do the simple things first.
2 Start at a point and work one step at a time in “Game Flow” order.
3 Check mechanical thing first. Relays are moving correctly, Stepper unites step ETC.
4 Check the electrical bits last.
5 Take photo’s so we can see too. (200kb is good enough, got to conserve Pinside disk space!!)

One thing I like to be sure of is that you understand that your schematic is drawn at a specific point in time. That point in time is, when all stepper units are at zero position, ball in the shooter lane and power off.

Just to make life hard, intermittent problems are the hardiest to fault find, but we’ll get there.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Sorry, if we are telling you “how to suck eggs”

not at all. I appreciate everything. EM is a different animal then i am used to. so i am a em newbie, sometime i overthink things as well. and speaking of overthinking...is it safe to file with a metal file or do i need to get a flexstone file for the leaf switches? thanks.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

One thing I like to be sure of is that you understand that your schematic is drawn at a specific point in time. That point in time is, when all stepper units are at zero position, ball in the shooter lane and power off.

this i would not have known, thank you .

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

is it safe to file with a metal file or do i need to get a flexstone file for the leaf switches

I normally use a bit of 240 grade emery tape. A disposable nail file is good too. Just clean and remove dags, no more unless they are real bad.

Quoted from mojozone:

sometime i overthink things as well

Me too!!

#21 11 years ago

Chris is spot on with the troubleshooting.

You can Get some flex stone files that work really well from the online sites.

I normally start at turn teh game on and start a game,
If you can get that working most everything will follow.

Photos are key.

Also as Chris has said in other threads, ONE problem at a time
Im particularly bad at this and try to thread multiple problems at once however i always go back to one at a time. Its the easiest.

You may find fixing one thing shows another 2 things wrong. No worries just take it step by step and in the end you will have a machine you wont have to adjust for quite awhile

--Jeff

#22 11 years ago

Hey fellas, Im not sure if this is what is wrong, but i was looking/cleaning at the row on relays, and i noticed that the "outhole" relay was not moving as smoothly as the others, (sorry i will post pics as soon as possiable, the wife took it with her today) so i tried cleaning it by taken the spring off, and just rebuilding that part of it, I also noticed that there wasn't a screw going into the coil. Anyway now the outhole relay coil stays engaged. Is that a magnet on the back of it that pulls that metal piece which inturn moves the plastic piece making the switches, either open and close. i assume that is how it works, Again EM newbie so excuse my stupid questions. Anyway, i think its the outhole relay that is giving me problems.

On a positive note i touched up my backglass, and it turned out real good.

#23 11 years ago

Also I just took the coil out of where it was sitting, Since there was no screw and with it still hooked up, i tried to start a game, and it was still stayed energized, so i don't think its a issue with those perticular switches. ? i think?

#24 11 years ago

new update:after a day of messing around it looks like i am back to the beginning. Now when i push the start button, nothing happens, If i trigger the restart relay manualy the game will reset the score, but that is it. no ball getting kicked out to the plunger, no switches on the playfield register. One step forward 2 steps back today. ohh well, time to have a couple drinks with the mrs. and i will get back into it tomorrow. this is fun.

#25 11 years ago

Mojo. This is actually a great place to start. Let's start troubleshooting from here.

First let's start with start button does nothing.

Do you get gi lights when turning the game on / pressing the flipper button.

Does the credit wheel decrement if you have credits on it

Let me look at the schematic and see what shouldhappen next.

#26 11 years ago

Yep, i have GI lights, and the credit wheel dosn't move, but it never has, its has been on free play since i picked it up.

I found these, not sure if it will help...

Bally Start-Up Sequence.

Coin is inserted into the game. The coin relay will energize. It will stay energized through its own hold-in switch and a score motor switch. If the credit button is pressed (instead of a coin being inserted) and there are credits, the credit relay will be energized which energizes the coin relay.

The coin relay will energize the lock relay (this turns the general illumination on). The lock relay will stay energized through its own hold-in switch and a delay relay switch.

The coin relay will energize the reset relay, through a game over relay switch (if your game won't start, try cleaning the contacts on the game over relay; a very common Bally problem).

The score motor will operate. This will energize the score reset relay(s). The score reset relay(s) will attempt to clear the score reels to zero. This is done by operating the score motor. Each turn of the score motor will operate the reset relay once, which in turns moves a score reel one position, until the score reel(s) are at zero. If the score motor continues to run when a game is started, there's a good chance the zero position switch on the score reel(s) is dirty or mis-adjusted.

The coin relay, through the score motor, will advance the total play meter.

The reset relay, through the score motor, will reset the stepper units (zero the ball count and player units).

The coin relay, through the score motor, will decrement the credit unit.

The coin relay, through the score motor, will energize the game over latch relay coil.

The coin relay, through the score motor, will energize the 100,000 relay latch coil(s) (if the game supports scores greater than 99,999).

If the outhole switch is closed (single ball games) or the ball trough switches are closed (multi-ball games), a ball is released to the shooter lane through the outhole relay (single ball game) or ball release relay (multi-ball game) and the score motor.

On multi-player games, the credit button may be pushed again to add a player. This time the coin relay will not energize the reset relay. Instead it will (through the score motor) advance the total play meter, decrement the credit unit, and advance the coin unit.

#27 11 years ago

I think some of that startup sequence applies but not all of it. Especially if you are already getting GI

At what point do you get GI. WHen you turn the Game on or do you have to hit a flipper

2 more questions

1. Does the Game over light show in the backbox and have you looked at and cleaned the Game over Relay as the above post states, Bally game over relays are notoriously cranky

2. WHen you say that the game is on freeplay could you explain how it is set to freeplay. (im trying to see if it is hacked or set so that the normal startup sequence applies)

--Jeff

#28 11 years ago

Hey Jeff, hows it going.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

At what point do you get GI

When i power up the game from the switch underneath the cab

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Does the Game over light show in the backbox

No actually, it says ball in play 1.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

have you looked at and cleaned the Game over Relay as the above post states

No, to be honest i can't find any relay that says "game over" relay. Most are marked pretty well. I have mostly messed with the "reset" and "outhole" relays today.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

WHen you say that the game is on freeplay could you explain how it is set to freeplay.

Im not sure how the previous owners had done it, but i have never had to add credits to it, the credit wheel has always been on 25, and it just lets me start a game just like i am in free play (when it did play) ha.

~Nick

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

ohh well, time to have a couple drinks with the mrs

Did this with my wife last night (Saturday), just getting over it now (4pm Sunday)
Boy you two have been busy looking forward to the read.

#30 11 years ago

The location of MY gameover RE is bottom left side in the cabinet, so most likely will be yours, See Pic below.

From your posts, not sure that this is where your problem is but it is a good place to start.

Make sure that you can manually latch and release this RE. With the power off, press the Latch coil, it should stay when you take your finger off and then press the release coil, the Latch coil should return. Check that all the open (NO) switches close and the closed (NC) switches open when you operate this RE.

Warning, I have indicted the LINE VOLTAGE on the pic below. I would suggest you put a bit of insulation over these bits to prevent accidents, as I have in the picture.

GameOver_RE.jpgGameOver_RE.jpg

#31 11 years ago

Also, best we forget about the coin door parts for now, get the machine going first.
Now the credit unit, can you get it off 25 games, set it to 10 games, something other than 0 or 25. There is a switch at 25 games (max credits), don’t need that to complicate thing just yet. To reduce the number of credits, press the top coil on the credit unit, it should reduce the credits by one each time.

#32 11 years ago

Now, that you have checked the Game Over RE and you think it is OK, and you have something like 10 credits available.

Turn the machine off and then back on.

The machine should have GI lights on and be at game over; the game over Lamp on the Back box should be lit.

It should not matter when you turn the machine off it should be at Game over when you turn it back on.

Report back what happens. This is the very start of any game. Next is the credit button, which Jeff is looking at.

#33 11 years ago

Okay, the Game Over RE is working fine it looks like.

I am curious about my credit unit though. I took a picture. I see that there is only one wire going to a coil on there, maybe that is how they hacked it to be free play? There is a cut wire that i am sure it goes to it, just hanging out.

There is one coil on there that works and when energized it makes the knocker up top go off, i suppose that is to tell you, that a coin is inserted? not sure. Hopefully my pics may be better at explaining.

Also the spring looks to have lost some of its tension, maybe its old?

credit_mech.jpgcredit_mech.jpg

#34 11 years ago

Also here is the coin mech or what should be a coin mech. Is this going to be a problem? looks like its gone.....is that why they cut that wire on the lug in the credit unit?

coin_mech.JPGcoin_mech.JPG

#35 11 years ago

just thinking out loud here, i feel like it need to recognize that it has a credit now.. When i hit the button the score reels reset, but it dosn't kick a ball out.

#36 11 years ago

ok now were getting further!
Tell me if this is now true.

So game over relay seems to latch and unlatch correctly and game over light can be seen in backglass.

The start button now does something! (what did you adjust? just the credit reel?)

SO now i can count 2 problems that we need to address
1. Credit reel is jacked (technical term) and needs to be fixed.
2. Game resets score but does not kick out ball. (i assume the score motor is spinning at this point)

so i would keep down the path of #2 and rebuild your credit reel / set on freeplay when we get the game working.

For the game to kick out the ball all the score reels must be on 0 , advance unit , ball count and player count needs to be on 0 position.

so in your backglass, when you press the start button do you see player 1, ball 1, on the playfield do you see all bonus lights not lit?

if you do not see these things lets look at the unit that controlls them and make sure they are reset to 0 position.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

For the game to kick out the ball all the score reels must be on 0 , advance unit , ball count and player count needs to be on 0 position

Thanks Jeff, not sure how to do this exactly..i will do some research on it, and hopefully when the kids are in bed tonight i can mess with it. Also i am going to solder that wire back onto that lug on the credit coil as well. rebuilding the credit reel seems a little scary, but i got nothing to lose.

#38 11 years ago

Ok so lets make Fixing the Credit unit the issue at hand. there are additional things you should look at in addition to soldering the coil

lets see if i can explain clearly.

On all these units including the credit unit, there is a switch. on the rotor gear there normally is a bar.

when the unit is at 0 position the bar will either open or close the switch indicating that the unit is at 0 position

look at this guide to stepper units. It includes a few Bally examples and is where i cut my teeth
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

notice that the spring is straight unlike the one on your credit unit.

post pics

#39 11 years ago

Thanks Jeff, not sure how to do this exactly

Maybe we need to explain Zero position. Most stepper units, but not all, step in one direction and reset in the other. Watch this You Tube and you will be wise to stepper units.

Most stepper units have a Zero position.I think the 10-90 stepper unit is an exception.

The score reel will step in one direction until the zero switch opens.

The ball count unit, player up unit and the coin unit will step in one direction, and reset in one action,ball 1, 2 ETC position 5 is game over, position zero is ball 1 (some schematic don’t use position zero, for these unit, In this case positions 1 to 6 instead of 0 to 5, same thing). Zero is when the bar on the drive gear changes the switches on the front of this unit; this is when the unit resets.

The Score motor has a zero position. If you look at the cam closes to the motor (cam 1), it has two notches, 180 degrees apart. When the cam follower is in the notch the unit is at zero position. Yes the Scr Motor has two Zero positions. Scr motors work in 180 degrees segments.

Lesson two – Schematic reading – Score Motor switching.

ADDED - As a general rule the score motor only turns 180 degrees, with the exception of starting a new game and when you score more than 5000 bonus points. In this case it should turn 360 degrees, if it turns more than 360 degrees, you may have a problem. When you start a new game you may need 9 pulses to the score reel to get them back to zero, hence 360 degrees. Same with bonus greater than 5000.

Score motor doesn’t have a lot to do with scoring, other than collecting bonus. A better name would be a Sequencing Motor. It’s more like the CPU or Programming of EM machines.

Scr_Motor_Switching.jpgScr_Motor_Switching.jpg

#40 11 years ago

my credit unit dosn't seem to spin back. I may need a new spring. I need to find a replacement one. off to the web.....oh wait im on the web.

#41 11 years ago

Credit unit will step up and step down.

Is that what you mean by spin back?

Did you move the spring to the correct position?

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Did you move the spring to the correct position?

Yea i tried to adjust it...I really need to take it apart and clean everything. It dosn't feel like it wants to step down, thats why i thought it needed a new spring.

I have a question about the zero/home position on the credit unit. - do i line that bar up right underneath the leaf switch or do i actually have it open the leaf switch to start. Does that make sense?

Thank you for your patients with me guys.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Is that what you mean by spin back?

I also didn't know if it was to spin back like the stepper unit that controls the ball count. that once feels good, and snaps back nicely.

#44 11 years ago

A credit unit will step up / down .

you can see this by manually activating one plunger and then the other while the game is off

you should see the unit add a credit and then remove the credit.

if there is not enough tension from the center spring to make it step down cleanly you can try winding it another turn

im away from my machines but if i remember. one bar should hit on 0 and one should hit on 25 or so.
the switch on mine is 2 switches. 1 closed at 0 the other closed at max.

Post a pic of teh switch and i should be able to tell you

#45 11 years ago

Also good that the ball count unit feels good. that is an example of a step up / reset unit.

If you look closely at that one you will see that when the unit is reset that the switch is either pushed open or closed. That is similar but different to every unit you will encounter

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Post a pic of teh switch and i should be able to tell you

okay after work today i will post a pic. thanks again.

#47 11 years ago

Here is the credit stepper. Is this at the zero position? Ive tried different steps, still nothing. Any ideas from this pic? thanks.

zero_pos.JPGzero_pos.JPG

#48 11 years ago

The top coil dosn't seem to be moving the white plastic piece. I wonder if i just need to clean everything. hope im not frustrating you guys.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

one bar should hit on 0 and one should hit on 25 or so.

I believe this is true on mine as well.

i also ordered clay TOP #1 EM repair last week, i will rewatch it again, and see if i can get any ideas from that too.

#50 11 years ago

the angled s spring should be straight down to the hook on the metal arm below it

Take a look at those units on pinrepair and you will see the dif

That does look like 0 position. Are yours credits on 0

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-tech-help-76-bally-hokus-pokus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.