(Topic ID: 76382)

EM tech- Bally "Mad World"

By jrpinball

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nick-the-greek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago

I think the thumper control unit is a simplified version of the reflex unit in a Bally bingo. It appears to control the lighting of the pop bumpers, at least that's how it works on my Monte Carlo. As you win replays, it lights less of the pop bumpers as they alternate. MC has five pops, but they will only light in groups of two or three when the unit is stepped to the 'hard' position. The more coins that are put through the chute, the more it allows the pops to light. On the easiest position, it allows all five to light together, making the game easier to score on. I think it also controls how often the pops light. I hadn't realised it steps at a different rate up to down, but that's exactly how a reflex unit works. It take about 1 1/2 as many coins to return it to easy as it does replays to make it hard. You could even buy different ratchet wheeels to adjust the ratio. I reckon Bally just couldn't get out of the habit of controlling how easy or hard a game played, depending how it had recently performed. I'll guarantee some of the operators set the unit on hard and cut a coil wire or put some masking tape over the appropriate rivets, just to give the player less chance of winning. They did that, and much more, to reduce the chances of winning on a bingo!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nick-the-greek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-tech-bally-mad-world?tu=nick-the-greek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.