DSCN2426.JPG
DSCN2425.JPG
img018.jpg
JumpingJack4.jpg
JumpingJack.jpg
IMG_1951_(2).jpg
DSCN2422.JPG
DSCN2420.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mstire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Here's what happens:

Power on.....

Push start/replay button and get partial rotation of motor.

Start relay and replay button relay activate momentarily while the hold relay latches on.
No play field lights or play field switches work at this point.

If I manually activate the "SB" (reset control relay) the score reels reset to zero, the play field lights come on and it appears that all the play field switches work.

Everything looks good on this game and there are no apparent hacks.

Any help is much appreciated.

#5 11 years ago

Sorry,
Meant to include this is a 1972 Gottlieb Jungle 4 player.

Hellodeadcity, not sure what you mean by the start switch on the bottom of the reset bank.

newmantjn, I found this start up info for Jack in the Box and looked closely at the suspect switches and relays. I spent a lot of time looking at every switch, wire connection and fuse on the whole machine and cleaned and adjusted where needed. Surprisingly everything was in pretty good order.

Must be something with that S relay. Is the start relay supposed to stay locked on when powered up? I'll spend more time on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Thnks

DSCN2420.JPGDSCN2420.JPG DSCN2422.JPGDSCN2422.JPG

#13 11 years ago

Thanks Newman,

Still working on it. The S relay will not stay pulled in. The wiring and the contacts for that relay look good as well as the wiring and contacts on 2B at the motor.

Jungle has an SB1 (reset control relay) and an SB2 (reset control switches). No coil on SB2.

The reset bank does not pull in. All the contacts on SB1 and SB2 look good.

I have continuity between motor switch 2B wiring, the start relay and the reset control switches.

Any other ideas?

#15 11 years ago

The armature is good. When I hit the start button the motor cycles and the start relay pulls in and all the switches on it make contact. It won't stay on though.

#17 11 years ago

Yes Pin-it. If I manually pull in the SB relay I can play a game. Everything appears to be working.

I pulled the bottom board out and put it on my bench so I could inspect, clean and adjust and literally cleaned every single switch and looked at every solder connection on the motor, reset bank and other relays.

Maybe I'm focusing too much on the S and SB relays? And the 2B switch on the motor?

#19 11 years ago

Thanks Newman. I really appreciate your efforts on this. Can't work on this tonight but will tomorrow and follow your lead.

Very observant on the shiny motor. Everything on that bottom board was very filthy and it took me hours to get everything cleaned up. That motor and everything around it was very oily. I did take some switch stacks off to access and clean others and I did get one switch dog in the wrong hole but corrected that.

You helped me rule out a couple things so I now know where to focus my efforts.

I'll post tomorrow to let you know how I'm doing.

#22 11 years ago

Thanks Browne. I have a schematic and as soon as the garage warms up a little I'll be working on it.

Chris, I don't really understand what you just said.

#26 11 years ago

Been out in the garage the last couple hours going though everything we've talked about here and everything looks good. All the contacts are aligned and have been cleaned and adjusted. Wiring all looks original. no apparent repairs.

What is needed is "what provides power to the SB1 coil?"

Kieth, I tested SB1 per you instructions and all I got was sparks. Tried it on the other coils on the bank and they all pulled in. Coil is shorted to ground?

Here's a couple more pics of the schematic. I hope they are legible.

Thanks.

DSCN2425.JPGDSCN2425.JPG DSCN2426.JPGDSCN2426.JPG

#28 11 years ago

Keith,
I think you are correct and I'll resume my pursuit tomorrow afternoon. Right now it's time to start celebrating the new year.

Upon power up the SB relay is already in the "relaxed state" Push the reply button to start a game and no change to SB and no reset on the reset bank. Manually activate SB and I am able to start a game.

Disconnected signal wire from SB and my Fluke reads 3.5 ohms? Sound right?

Would you recommend possibly swapping my player 4 relay with SB. They are the same.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

#31 11 years ago

Have you ever really felt inadequate?

I do right now. Doesn't seem like this should be that tough. Maybe it's just beyond my comprehension.

If things were hacked I could understand the difficulty but nothing looks unusual.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Here's what I checked today.

Quoted from keith20mm:

Set the ac voltmeter with one clip on BLK (return transformer rail) to:

1. BL-WH on S contacts. Then manually activate S or press start button. Should see voltage as soon as motor runs a cycle. (Motor contacts indeterminate, off right of picture)

2. If voltage at step 1, then move voltmeter clip to OR-GR (either at Motor 3B ,Total Play Meter, or ZB Make/Break common leaf lug). Then manually activate S or press start button. Should see voltage pulse.

3. If voltage at step 2, then move voltmeter clip to signal lug of SB1 (uh, not BLK). Manually activate S or press start. Should see voltage pulse.... you could cut to the chase and do this step first...

If voltage present at step 3, then power is present to the coil, and the coil is somehow not working... dunno how, but 3.8 ohms is correct for that A-1118 coil, and powering that coil should produce a magnetic field that is able to release the actuator plate latch

With the signal wire disconnected from SB1 I put power to that coil and it pulled in and the reset bank reset so I know the coil is good.

From the 3 steps above: (hard to tell voltage readings as it is only momentary)
#1 activate start relay I get about 15v
#2 activate start relay and get OL (over limit?)
#3 activate start relay I get about 22 v

Anything else I might be missing?

Had -4 deg this morning and a high of 17 today. Even though I have a heater in the garage it's hard to get it comfortable enough to sit down and focus on finding this problem.

Thanks again, Mike

#35 11 years ago

Kieth, won't be working on this til the weekend but it looks like I have plenty of ammo and direction.

I will post my finding when I get this problem figured out.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clarita, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mstire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-tech-72-gottlieb-4-player-wont-reset?tu=mstire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.