Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by way2wyrd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Want to know if your EM pins are shopped well and ready for play? Let 15 kids ages 3 to 12 play your games for a day. The younger ones are the hardest...constant flippers for the whole game. My games are in a basement and it was hot and humid..which didn't help matters. I had spent quite a while preparing my 8 EM pins and 2 arcade games. Here is what happened:

Dealers Choice...flipper shaft became loose..easy fix. I could use a new one because it is a bit gnarled up.
Jumping Jack...ball got stuck behind one of the upper flippers. Design flaw..easy fix though. Also the 10's digit on player one now seems sluggish.
Mars Trek...score reel switch out of adjustment caused the game to not reset...took about 5 minutes to find the switch..fixed.
Cherry Bell...no longer scoring 1000 points and it is not a stuck playfield switch..this will take some time to figure out.
Strike Zone..ball would not eject a ball to the shooter lane. Turned it off and on..then it worked..weird.

The youngest child, a 3 year old boy, would run around and just hit the start button on the games and walk away with a smile. He also played my Nip It a few times and kept constantly hitting the gator button. I was afraid it would break, but it didn't.

I left a key in the door of my Fun Fest. The key is now gone. Dumb mistake on my part.

#2 6 years ago

We had a party a few months back and my EM's were in constant use. They had been working perfectly for months and months. One developed a crippling problem toward the end of the party, the shooters kept on cycling over and over. Like you, I isolated and fixed the trouble right away.

The average age of people at the party was probably 30 or so... they weren't kids for the most part.

But yea, I definitely would have secured all my machines and had close supervision if the party had rug rats and carpet munchers. My keys are kept on top of the head of a machine for safe keeping regardless.

#3 6 years ago

Good info!

Quoted from SteveFury:

rug rats and carpet munchers

I don't think you really meant carpet munchers, but I can't think of the intended saying

steve

#4 6 years ago

Very good EM test bonzo71
I had family over a few winters ago and caught one kid opening the coin door and putting his hands in there - now all doors locked with keys on top of fridge

#5 6 years ago

I call them rug rats and crumb crushers

#6 6 years ago

Doors locked and keys away next time. It was a foolish mistake that could have a horrible ending. I mean that I busted my butt getting my Fun Fest working and would hate to have to go though that again.. The most played game was Nip It.

#7 6 years ago

We let customers (adults and kids) play games in my collection during a seasonal business we're open for. We have signs up stating max. 2 games, no food or drinks in pinball area, and doors locked and keys pulled (110 VAC inside coin doors on 60's games). I try to explain to the kids about flipping one flipper at a time and don't hold it so it won't burn up coils. It's pretty enjoyable watching kids play games for the 1st time. Even though the games are all on free play I've had adults leave money just because they got to play pinball - something they hadn't done in 30 years. Be prepared to have games to sell them though after they play.

#8 6 years ago

Want a real stress test, take your machine to a show and let it rack up 500-1000 plays in three days, staying on for 12hours a day. Took two EMs to The Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. Only problem I had was one bulb burnt out under an insert.

#9 6 years ago

I like to see what the kids would do with minimal interruption. I just let them bang away on the games. If something breaks or gets spilled on a game, it just isn't that big of a deal to me. I'll fix it and clean it up. I had a few people hit the playfield glass hard, but I've not had one break. I think they are designed to take a beating.

There were adults playing too. One older guy, early 80's, asked If I repaired my own games. I confirmed and opened one up. He seemed to enjoy looking at the guts . He told my about some Heath Kit hi-fi sets he built..cool stuff. He played around a dozen games of Dealers Choice.

#10 6 years ago

Just had 100 people through our game room during my son's graduation party, full on pinball for over 6 hours.

Only issue I have is a lazy switch on Surf champ during the zero reset...glad everything else played consistently.

Youngest player was 4, oldest was 86. My uncle, who grew up on EM's, barely left the game room

#11 6 years ago

I wish i could get people over to play my pins like that. I enjoy playing myself but also welcome the chance to see someone have a good time playing what I work hard on to keep up.

#12 6 years ago

I usually have a Christmas party on the 26th of December for the family. One year my teenage nephew overworked my 56 year old Chicago Coin Criss Cross Ski Ball. Now one ball out of three stays in the pocket for family events.

A better story is my 3.5 year old grandson from the time he was a baby I'd set him on the top of the pin while I played. He recently came home, pulled a chair up to the game, hit the start button, and played a game. It was an awesome experience for me as a grandfather.

OHEMIO

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Want a real stress test, take your machine to a show and let it rack up 500-1000 plays in three days,

I did this in march. It went well until the 3rd day when the 1pt reel started locking. Playfield switch was closed opened it up and away we went. I figure i got 300- 500 plays. Unfortunately the game doesnt have a play counter so i couldnt do any real bookkeeping

--Jeff

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
1,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington Heights, IL
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 30.40
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 75.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside