(Topic ID: 26421)

EM: Spirit of 76/Pioneer vs Fast Draw/Quick Draw - Which one is the better game?

By EM-PINMAN

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SO76_FRONT.jpg
SO76_playfield.jpg
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0111.jpg
#1 11 years ago

OK.

So these games have a somewhat similar Playfield layout with some different goals to obtain.

I have not played Fast Draw for 35 years but do know the Gameplay and is fun, however I own a Spirit of 76 for the past 6 months and think it is a great machine all around as the only thing that is not a skill shot is the Rollover Buttons.

Fast Draw/Quick Draw have resetting 5000 point Drop Targets which is great, but the 2 Kickout Holes are a luck shot for a "Special" as opposed to SO76/Pioneer with the one Kickout hole that is a skill shot right in front of you that you have a chance at "Special, Extra Ball, and a "2X Bonus" that becomes a "4X Bonus" on the last ball.

I would never sell my SO76 as it is just too much fun and my friends feel the same way.

So what is the better/funner game for you and why?

Ken

#2 11 years ago

Bump- Anyone? Helloooooo!! :-0

Ken

#3 11 years ago

They're really too similar in layout to pick one over the other. If I had to pick I'd go with Quick Draw. The center saucer seems like it would slow down play and be a drain monster on missed shots. But I would get something radically different. Either a single player EM or maybe one of the Gold Strike layout's by GTB.

#4 11 years ago

They are very similar. I think the unique drop target action in Quick Draw is really cool and based on that I prefer QD/FD.

#5 11 years ago

Fast Draw/Quick Draw is the better game IMO.

They're both unique because they don't have slingshots.

#6 11 years ago

Interesting so far that everyone is leaning towards Fast Draw/Quick Draw.

If I had twice as much room for pins as I do now I would have both.

Lets' keep those opinions coming and the reasons why you like one or the other.

Quoted from catboxer:

The center saucer seems like it would slow down play and be a drain monster on missed shots.

The center target can get you with a SDTM but forces you to take the chance when you need to unload your bonus of a max of 15,000 in order to accrue more bonus which is an awesome feature that can go on and on at a 2x or 4x payoff on last ball.

Ken

#7 11 years ago

QD/FD by a mile - had one - looking for another!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Interesting so far that everyone is leaning towards Fast Draw/Quick Draw.
If I had twice as much room for pins as I do now I would have both.
Lets' keep those opinions coming and the reasons why you like one or the other.

The center target can get you with a SDTM but forces you to take the chance when you need to unload your bonus of a max of 15,000 in order to accrue more bonus which is an awesome feature that can go on and on at a 2x or 4x payoff on last ball.
Ken

I wish the kickout hole on my Jet Spin had that feature - that really messes up the game.. after you max 15k bonus, you can't dump it on Jet Spin/Super Spin.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Reminds me of my Old Chicago.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I wish the kickout hole on my Jet Spin had that feature - that really messes up the game.. after you max 15k bonus, you can't dump it on Jet Spin/Super Spin.

Did not realize that on Jet/Super Spin until you mentioned it. Seeing that game came out later than SO76 you would think Gottlieb knew by now that was a great feature and to pass it along to their other later games.

Ken

#11 11 years ago

Fast Draw for me...really like the unique drop target reset and shooting up and around for the saucer kicks.

It also gets a nod from the guys, how can you not like a buxom Indian chick on the backglass?

rody

#12 11 years ago

Yeah, I think Fast Draw is a very cool game, but the ladies seem to like SO76 more. Haven't quite sorted out why yet. I know my wife and her friend Claire will always face off on this game if it's present (currently two locations in Seattle have this).
Old Chicago is also very cool. Add-A-Ball has this in the back room, it's also one of Mitch's pride and joy machines.
Good point about the bonus scoring, too. 300 is a popular Gottlieb EM, people like that you can score the bonus in the middle of the ball (or whenever the ball rack gets filled up) and fill it up again, especially on 2x/3x balls. Gottlieb should have continued that feature.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from LaughingOtter:

Good point about the bonus scoring, too. 300 is a popular Gottlieb EM, people like that you can score the bonus in the middle of the ball (or whenever the ball rack gets filled up) and fill it up again, especially on 2x/3x balls. Gottlieb should have continued that feature.

Honestly the bonus scoring is the best feature of SO76 and if did not have it then it would be a no contest for me to go pick up a Fast/Quick Draw.

I like the art work on both equally as well and the use of colors, just a different theme that are both superb.

Ken

#14 11 years ago

There's also the possibility of the double double bonus on the last ball with the SO76. It allows the dramatic comeback of an otherwise last place player.

I also somewhat disagree about the rollover stars not being a skill shot on the SO76. The center hole is pretty much valuless until either the A-E sequence is completed and/or all drop targets are down.
The center hole has 3 unique functions. (1) extra ball (2) double scoring (3) special. The score motor is divided into 3 parts, each operating one of those three functions. One of the 3 score positions work the extra ball, the next operates the double scoring and the next operates the special. The score motor does not cycle 360 degrees per calculation, only 1/3.

See what I mean in this video, scrub it to 3:55:

This means you can have all the drop targets down but still not get the center hole's feature bonus lit, depending on where the score motor disk resides. With all the drop targets down, the only place in the lower part of the playfield to get the score motor to rotate to the next section (lighting the hole's feature bonus) is in the hole itself, which is a difficult shot because of its U-turn back plate.

The only practical thing to do once all drop targets are down and the hole's feature bonus is not lit is to get the ball into the upper part of the playfield because the lit star rollovers cause the score motor to move. There's really only two main ways to get the ball back up there.

Even when you do, if you can direct the ball over the star rollover(s) to get the score motor moving to the correct position to light the double bonus feature in the hole (or special or extra ball), then you must make sure it doesn't roll over another star rollover because it will cause the score motor to rotate off of the desired position.

Another thing about the SO76, is once the player gets the A-E sequence completed -and- all drop targets down is it makes the hole extremely valuable. It will cycle between extra ball, double bonus and special.

****If you win the extra ball, the machine *does not* reset itself when the extra ball is served. This means -if- you can get the ball into the hole again with the extra ball light lit... you can essentially keep playing as long as you can with extra balls, keep scoring specials, double double bonuses etc.

That, in my opinion is one of the most appealing things of this game.

I wish my Williams Space Mission didn't reset the playfield when serving an extra ball. But it does.

I haven't played the Fast Draw (That I can recall) so I can't really compare the two.

#15 11 years ago

Nice explanation in detail of how the Kickout hole works from SteveFury for people not familiar with the game.

Thanks so much for the video as well to reinforce the importance of the features of this game.

Your machine is looking good and when it's done it will be a labor of love and look and play fantastic.

Ken

#16 11 years ago

Finally turned the reels over tonight! 117k. Love my Pioneer!

IMG_0111.jpgIMG_0111.jpg

#17 11 years ago

IMG_0356.JPGIMG_0356.JPG

#18 11 years ago

Thanks Snowdale for sharing, great looking machine!

Well I guess it's time I showed a couple pics of my SO76.

It was a mess that I picked up for $500.00, but with $350.00 in parts and 100+ hours into it, we have ourselves a pretty dandy machine now.

Ken

SO76_playfield.jpgSO76_playfield.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Here's another. Mine has the Orange Dot Coils so Flipper power is zippy.

Ken

SO76_FRONT.jpgSO76_FRONT.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-spirit-of-76pioneer-vs-fast-drawquick-draw-which-one-is-the-better-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.