3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BubbaK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm fairly new to pinball, especially EM's. I have a Gottlieb Cleopatra which I've played so much I know the sound of the game. I recently got a Gottlieb Buccaneer and it sounds different. The chimes and relays sound muffled. I've rebuilt both chime boxes, they are the same age, I would expect them to sound the same. I just picked up Gottlieb Jungle Queen and it sounds just like my Cleopatra. Do wedgeheads sound different than the multiplayer? Do Bally and Williams sound different?

#2 3 years ago

I’ve experienced differences in chime boxes between gottlieb machines. Some seem louder than others. I’ve struggled to explain it. Could be the tightness of he cabinet itself, the material used to cushion the plungers, the looseness of the nuts on the chime bars?

There’s a big debate on the cushion material. Beerseal, thinner weatherstrip material, of the individual rubber drawer bumpers? Each one has a different bounce to it.

There is a huge difference between manufacturers. Gottliebs sound the most musical, followed by Bally. Williams is a poor 3rd, but folks have done mods to make them sound better.

I haven’t rebuilt the chimes on our buccaneer and they do sound a little muffled, but that machine came to us in such great condition that I haven’t had to do the whole works on it. At some point I’ll pull it apart. Who knows? It might sound exactly the same when I’m done.

Dave

#3 3 years ago

... and the chime coils aren't DC on Cleo and JQ?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

... and the chime coils aren't DC on Cleo and JQ?

There is some DC in Cleo, but I don't remember the chime coils being DC.. I'll have to check. JQ doesn't have any DC in it though. Even the relays sound more muffled in Buccaneer. I'm planning on rebuilding the JQ box today

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.