• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20220604_204320836 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi all!
I have rebuilt the chimes in my Williams Gulfstream and I am happy with the results... except that the sound is really loud now and sensitive to my ears.
My three games are in the basement on a concrete floor surrounded by concrete walls. I was wondering if it would make a difference to put down carpet or cover the walls somehow...or whether there's a way to diminish the sound a little in the game itself.
Thank you!

PXL_20220604_204320836 (resized).jpgPXL_20220604_204320836 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

I would thing something more resistant to mold to cover basement floor than carpet , vinyl flooring system might be better , I'm not sure about it's sound dampening quality, perhaps a thin layer of solid Styrofoam as a sub floor under it would help.

Strapping on the walls with "blue board" drywall might make it a nice finished space, could Styrofoam behind the strapping to insulate there too.

I think there might be some other threads about dampening the chimes themselves. foam tape perhaps?

#3 1 year ago

If you made horrible clanky Williams chimes sound good, you should just enjoy that. It ain't easy.

Just use cotton in your ears. Much cheaper and easier solution

#4 1 year ago

Maybe try a little rockwool?

#5 1 year ago

Lay something soft and absorbent over the chime bars. If it deadens it too much keep trying different things. Almost used up paper towel roll, piece of cloth, etc. Experiment.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from chas10e:

I think there might be some other threads about dampening the chimes themselves. foam tape perhaps?

Thanks for referring me to another thread. I think I'll try the Band-Aid approach to start. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-about-dampening-chimes-and-bells#post-1826750

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-sound-question- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.