Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BubbaK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beer frame (resized).jpg
    beer frame (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210714_225407951 (resized).jpg
    coil (resized).jpg
    top (resized).jpg
    2nd (resized).jpg
    3rd (resized).jpg
    bottom (resized).jpg
    Prestige roll overs (resized).jpg
    Prestige coil chart (resized).jpg
    schematic (resized).jpg
    relay list (resized).jpg
    pin schematic (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I have a Chicago Coin EM Shuffle Alley that I recently acquired. The game is playing well. I had a question on the schematics that I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on. I originally had an issue with only certain pins dropping, but I got it all figured out. Looking at the Puck Count rollover drawing, I'd like some help understanding what it all means.

From what I can tell -
    Letters A-Z are the lane switches.
    There is a number under the letter, which is what I figure is the pin number.

So Looking at this drawing, switch A has 2-8. Switch B has 2-8 and (B-10).
    Switch A doesn't take down pins 2-8.

Can someone walk me through this drawing or does it not make sense without the reset of the schematic?

pin schematic (resized).jpgpin schematic (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

I think the switches are showing you what relays they trip, not what pins they drop. Looking at the top corners for example, hitting either O and P or Y and Z might trip the 7-10 relay. Are there relays labeled 2-8, 4-8, 7-10, etc?

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

I'll look at it closer tonight and take a pic of another part of the schematic. From what I noticed on the machine, there is a relay for each pin, not the combo units. The schematic in general is confusing to me, between letters, numbers and the way everything is laid out on the paper. I Luckily didn't have to use the schematics much to get the game working, but I'd like to get a better understanding of whats going on.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

I'd like to get a better understanding of whats going on.

It's been a while since I worked on a Chicago Coin Bowler, but I was pretty certain
    in the Relay Bank there's 2-8 and 3-9 Relays. However, I don't believe there's a
    7-10. I seldom (if ever) needed that section of the schematic when going through
    Chicago Coin bowlers, but if there's no 7-10 Relay, perhaps it points that the numbers
    refer to the pins.
    I also think there may be a 3 digit Relay. What year (or title) is your bowler?

#5 2 years ago

I have a Prestige, early 70's. I think they were made from 71-73. I took a few more pics. There is a 1-5 pin unit and relay. I'm really confused on how the pins are selected and counted.

relay list (resized).jpgrelay list (resized).jpgschematic (resized).jpgschematic (resized).jpg
    #6 2 years ago

So looking at the schematic, Here are a few of my questions -

Labeling of relays - What is RE? like 8 pin RE. does RE stand for relay?

I think I'm seeing the Pin RE is a pin counter not for pin 8? So when this relay fires that means 8 pins are down.

In the line showing 8 Pin RE, it shows A,B,G,J,Q or L-T. Why are all the letters above 1 switch?

#7 2 years ago

Prestige coil chart (resized).jpgPrestige coil chart (resized).jpg
    This is a coil chart. I think the 1st column lists all the coils, both solenoids and relay coils. Things that end with RE. are relay coils, S.U for step up solenoids, etc. The 2nd column is the coil number, then location of the coil on the schematic. The optional last few columns I suspect are the schematic locations for each of the relay switches. The A column would be for the switch closest to the frame, B column is the next switch out from there, etc. So every relay would have an A switch, fewer would have a B switch, fewer still have C switch, and so on.

#8 2 years ago

I worked on a few Chicago Coin Shuffles, but mostly their ball bowlers, and had to look.
    The C.C. Ball Bowlers has 2 double digit Pin Relays and 2 triple digit Relays. I was thinking
    the shuffles also had the doubles. It must be the ball couldn't perform over the rollovers
    the same as the puck could on the shuffles..
    Anyways, RE. does represent Relay..
    Yes, when #8 Relay energizes in the Relay Bank, a set of switches close in the #8 Relay
    and that set completes the circuit and fires the #8 Pin Unit's coil. So that the #8 Pin Unit's
    coil doesn't remain energized, a set of switches in the #8 Pin Unit open which breaks the
    circuit. Then of course after the Bank Relay is reset and that set of switches in the #8 Pin
    Relay is open, the pin unit completes its reset and that #8 Pin Unit's set of switches is once
    again closed.
    I went through tons of ball bowlers, and if there's a problem with rollover circuitry, I work
    it out by doing some jumping, so I'm really not exactly sure why all those letters for one
    switch, but Pin Relays energize with different rollovers depending on what pins are already
    up and/or not up. I'll have to sometime look at one of the schematics and give it a little study..

#9 2 years ago

I wonder if some of the confusing notation is meant to be a short hand for switches wired in parallel:
    Prestige roll overs (resized).jpgPrestige roll overs (resized).jpg
    So for example for the 2 Pin relay, could it be that if A or B or J switches in red close that the relay fires? It would be an easy thing to check.

#10 2 years ago

Thanks Mark for the coil chart explanation. I didn't realize the Step up either. It makes sense seeing the switch positions as well. The drawing is starting to make some sense.

Mopar.. Thanks. So a switch combo that calls for the 8 pin to drop fires the 8 pin relay. This fires the solenoid, releasing the latch and the pin lifts. No circuit is left on. At the end of the frame, the reset bar resets the relays and is ready for next round.

I'd like to figure out how it knows what pins to drop. I'll play around with some switches tomorrow. It does appear that there are some feeds that may be isolated on the lane switches. I had a broken wire between the 4th and 5th switch on the end switches that cut out a bunch of switches on the left side of the alley but not all the switches. I was surprised at how much was affected.

#11 2 years ago

The rollover switches work in conjunction with the strike adjustment jack to determine which bank latch in relays pull in. Each of these pin numbered relays will do at least 2 functions when pulled in.
    A closed normally open switch sends constant power to it’s bowling pin trip coil to release and flip up the bowling pin.
    The 2nd normally open switch closes to send constant power to a score motor wiper disc rivet, waiting for be scanned to advance score.
    There may be other switches on the latch in relays for other functions.

#12 2 years ago

seems like your initial post is correct ... the problem is the A switch is not taking down the 2 and 8 pins when it should by powering the 2 pin and 8 pin relays.

however, it is dependent on what pins are already flipped up and whether it's the first or second shot, so you've got those playfield / pin control relays altering when entire circuits are active.

the idea was to try and simulate what a ball would actually do if pins were present or absent, and what pins tend to knock over other pins or deflect the ball in a real game.

e.g. hitting the A switch just takes out pins 2 and 8 since the 2 pin is more or less hit center and the ball follows it straight back to the 8 pin. Hitting the B switch on the second shot IF the 2 pin was still standing would take out the 10 pin.

it's not a very accurate simulation, but at least it makes spares possible when you'd normally need a front pin to go one way and the ball another to hit remaining back pins - ignoring lucky pin ricochets taking out extra pins like happens in the real world.

#13 2 years ago

Thanks for all the help in understanding how this works.. I am really starting to get a better understanding of this game. I couldn't find any real info on how this system works, I got lucky and mine basically worked minus one small issue that I was able to track down. I do have an issue with player 6 but I should be able to narrow that problem down pretty quick with all the info you guys have given me.

#14 2 years ago

So I have one last problem with this game I thought would have been fairly easy to figure out, but I'm lost.

6-player Regulation is what I'm testing on.

Players 1-5 work flawlessly. From scoring to ending frame. The game will advance to player 6 and pins reset. First shot, if not a strike will automatically start the 1pt score and will continue t run. The way I found to stop it is to reset the frame unit (top coil) for player 6. It will then advance to the 2nd shot, then score properly and advance back to player 1 and all works perfect until player 6. Its got to go through the player unit to the score reel. Could a score reel switch do it?

I can post some pics of the schematic, but not sure what sections would pertain.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

The game will advance to player 6 and pins reset. First shot, if not a strike will automatically start the 1pt score and will continue t run

So this happens with the 6th Player right from the start when in the 1st frame?
    The 2 things that are different than the 1-5 Players are the Player-Step-Up Unit
    being in the 5th step up, and the 6th's Player's Strike & Spare Unit.
    This is a Chicago Coin, so I believe the Player Step Up has a double wiper board.
    I'd maybe overlook that, but also, is it possible the 6th Play's Strike/Spare Unit
    is locked in the first step up but the spare light isn't showing? Probably not, but
    if so, and the 6th Strike/Spare unit is free, that maybe points to the Player-Step-Up
    when on Player 6, or the 6th Player's Strike/Spare wiper board needs adjustment..

#16 2 years ago

Yes, it starts on the 1st frame.

After the 1st shot, the score reels start advancing 1pt and continues, how long I'm not sure. Normally, the score reels aren't activated until the 2nd shot. I'm going to have to get someone to play the game while I watch the other steppers. To get it to stop, I manually reset the 6th player frame unit. I believe the strike/spare lights work for P6, but I'll verify that tonight.

#17 2 years ago

posting schem pics like you did in post #5 would definitely help. Might as well do the entire thing and overlap the shots enough that it's easy to see where the pieces go.

a full shot of the entire schematic is also good. If the resolution is high enough, it can be zoomed in on and read.

#18 2 years ago

OK.. I'll post some pics of the schematics tonight. I thought I had them on my phone buy apparently not.

#19 2 years ago

OK.. I have attached 4 pictures for the full schematic. They look pretty readable. I also have closer shots as well. I think I've narrowed this down..

@Mopar.. the spare light bulb was out on P6. I thought I replaced all the bulbs. With a new bulb it tells more of a story. If there is no strike or spare, the game plays fine through player 6. Once a spare is hit, it logs and proceeds. The next time around, it scores the spare and the 1pt score gets stuck on. The strike -spare stepper reset doesn't happen. Score motor continues to run as well. Manually resetting the stepper allows the game to continue. It looks like it should be section H11 on the 2nd drawing for this. This section is circled, like someone has been chasing this already. Or its a sensitive spot that needs frequent adjustments.

Looks like it should be somewhere on the player control plate 1 section E?
    top (resized).jpgtop (resized).jpg2nd (resized).jpg2nd (resized).jpg3rd (resized).jpg3rd (resized).jpgbottom (resized).jpgbottom (resized).jpg

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

The next time around, it scores the spare and the 1pt score gets stuck on. The strike -spare stepper reset doesn't happen.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but without the spare light on, I thought there was
    a chance that the wiper board was slightly off and not the wiper that shows the lit
    spare, but the one that tells the machine that a spare is up was making connection..
    Anyways. If the 6th Player's Strike/Spare unit is clicked up to a strike at the end of
    a game, at the next start up, does the 6th Player's Strike/Spare unit reset?
    If so, this will tell us that the 6th Player's reset coil is okay, and the problem must be
    in the Player Unit's 1st wiper board, or a wire between the 1st wiper board and the 6th
    Player's reset coil, but most likely the board. The wiring is all direct. No plugins in between.
    But first we'll want to check if the 6th Player's Strike/Spare reset coil reset's the unit
    at the start up of a game..

#21 2 years ago

I will double check it tonight, but I don't think it resets at the beginning of a game. The relay coil looks fine and the plunger and linkage move freely.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

I will double check it tonight, but I don't think it resets at the beginning of a game.

Okay, and if it doesn't reset, you'll want to check the contacts in the #2 Start Relay.
    They're the ones the pulsate at the start up of a game that fire the Strike/Spare Reset
    Coils. If all looks okay there (including the wire lugs), then to double check, you can
    jump the 6th Player's Strike/Spare Reset Coil from another Player's and then check if
    it fires at start up. If not, and even though it looks okay, that coil must have a broken
    internal stran or something. And to make 100% certain, you can jump both the neural
    and hot leads off of another Player's Strike/Spare Reset Coil to the 6th Player's..
    Edit: Also, while those jumpers are still attached, during a game with the 6th player
    along with the other Player with the jumpers having a strike up, you can have the 6th
    Player shoot an open, and see if that Player's Reset Coil that the jumpers are attached to
    fires and resets while the 6th Player's doesn't. That will 100% tell us what direction to go in..

#23 2 years ago

OK.. That makes sense.. I had to read the end a few times, but you are suggesting with the jumpers connected and game on P6, see if it will reset P5 or wherever I connect the jumpers to.. This should tell if the reset circuit is working.

#24 2 years ago

if you have an ohmeter, you can also measure the resistance of the player 6 reset coil and compare it to the player 5 reset coil.

if the player 6 coil is infinite resistance, you may be able to fix the coil if the wire just broke off the lug. If you need to, unwind a turn or two of wire to make it long enough to reattach. You have a 50-50 chance a broken wire is on the outside of the coil where you can unwind it. The other end is buried in the coil and you usually can't get a turn of wire pulled out.

your jones plug is mailing out today.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

unwind a turn or two of wire to make it long enough to reattach. You have a 50-50 chance a broken wire is on the outside of the coil where you can unwind it.

Yup. Good point, and that would great if that's the case, and then also, you wouldn't want to
    forget to scrap the outside coating off of the coil's wire before re-soldering to the lug, but either
    way, if that coil isn't firing although juice is getting to it, that would be the best bet. I can send
    you one of those coils if needed. Let us know what you find out..

#26 2 years ago

Thanks guys.. Really appreciate it.. I don't even think I checked the wire on the coil. Someone along the way has done some pretty horrible soldering jobs on this machine. I found one wire at the base of one of the jones plug that was resting against the terminal making a great connection until I closed the back door. I'll give everything a good look tonight and let you know what I find.

baldtwit - I'm amazed you found it.. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

#27 2 years ago

Apparently I failed diagnostics 101.. The reset coil wire is broken. Looks like the coil may have unraveled a bit. I can solder it back. It looks like it unwound a bit. Does it need to be tightly wrapped? Its in a spot that I didn't look closely. Most of the coils are wrapped in red and the windings are red so didn't think much else.

coil (resized).jpgcoil (resized).jpg

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

The reset coil wire is broken. Looks like the coil may have unraveled a bit. I can solder it back. It looks like it unwound a bit. Does it need to be tightly wrapped?

Oh damn. You didn't notice that before? Haha..
    Anyways, it should be fine not wrapped any tighter.
    I imagine that coil is 30 volt. I expect that it once worked
    at one time. I'm thinking you have enough meat there to
    solder the wire back on, right?
    If any problems, I've got you covered. But I have a pretty
    good feeling have this..

#29 2 years ago

Thanks... I can definitely handle the soldering, so as long as its good, I can fix it.. getting the varnish off the wire is the hardest part.

I think this game got in my head a bit before I started working on it. I've had a few careless mistakes that have caused me a lot of aggravation on this machine.

I've got one more issue but I'm going to double check all the stupid things before posting this one

#30 2 years ago

The coil is shot. I wen't to grab the loose end to scrape the varnish and there is 2 loose ends and only one thats broken. Mopar I'll send you a msg..

PXL_20210714_225407951 (resized).jpgPXL_20210714_225407951 (resized).jpg
    #31 2 years ago

The last issue I think I have is with the beer frame. There is a game called Beer Frame. I don't see any difference between this and regulation and have no idea what Beer Frame is/does. The lights on the backglass work. If I manually fire the beer frame relay, the lights work. After 1 shot, the relay resets and the light goes out. No scoring difference. I unsoldered both coils and I get about 8 ohms on the reset and 6 ohms on the set. The flash motor runs after selecting the game, but thats all I can see. There is a supplemental drawing attached.
    beer frame (resized).jpgbeer frame (resized).jpg

#32 2 years ago

Actually, Beer Frame is only Regulation. The traditional frame for Beer Frame (when the Beer Frame light
    shows in the backglass) is the 5th frame. I believe when on Beer Frame, if one player bowls a strike, the
    other players buy that player a drink. I could have that a bit wrong, but it's something like that.
    So Beer Frame is basically Regulation as your machine is playing..
    Going to your pm..

#33 2 years ago

Thanks.. Thats what I thought, but there must be more to it though as the flash motor runs and there are different adjustments to make for different frames or random frames.

beer frame (resized).jpgbeer frame (resized).jpg
    #34 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

but there must be more to it though as the flash motor runs and there are different adjustments to make for different frames or random frames.

I knew there were different adjustments, but didn't know about the Flash Motor running.
    The C.C. Ball Bowlers I have were/are all set on 5th Frame. Perhaps when it's in the Mystery
    Score setting, it randomly picks frames from the Flash Unit. If you plug it in the 5th Frame
    while on Beer Frame?

#35 2 years ago

I thought about doing that last night but it was getting late. I'll play with that tonight if I get a chance. Does it need to be more than a 1 player game?

#36 2 years ago

looks like when the adjust plug is in the mystery side, you can configure the mystery frames to be any/all of frame 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9

however, the flash motor runs between each frame and randomly makes an enabled frame a beer frame ... or not.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

If you plug it in the 5th Frame
    while on Beer Frame?

Damn, I didn't finish that statement. "Does the Flash Motor still run?

Quoted from baldtwit:

the flash motor runs between each frame and randomly makes an enabled frame a beer frame ... or not.

I'm a little surprised the Flash Motor would run during the entire Beer Frame game,
    but that would be a way to keep the Mystery 100% random and not be able to figure
    out a true pattern. I never had a C.C. Beer Frame on anything other than the 5th Frame
    setting, so I had no idea..

#38 2 years ago

I will play around with it a bit tonight and switch it to the 5th frame mode. The flash motor runs from the time you select the game until the end of the 10th frame. I guess that would definitely keep things more random. In Super Frame mode, the super frame lights up during certain frames to give a bonus for a strike. I expected the Beer frame lights to come on during random frames as well.

I also noticed after I posted the last picture that there is a fuse missing from one of the fuse holders. I looked back at all the pics I have of the game and I don't have anything else from that corner. I'll have a look at that tonight. I haven't run across anything else thats not working though..

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

I also noticed after I posted the last picture that there is a fuse missing from one of the fuse holders.

That's the low line fuse holder. You don't want a fuse in that line.
    I actually sometimes clip that small bare jumper between the Normal
    Line fuse holder and Low Line, so if someone did put a fuse in the
    Low Line, it wouldn't have any effect on the machine..

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

That's the low line fuse holder. You don't want a fuse in that line.
    I actually sometimes clip that small bare jumper between the Normal
    Line fuse holder and Low Line, so if someone did put a fuse in the
    Low Line, it wouldn't have any effect on the machine..

I'm glad I posted about it. I was going to put a fuse in it tonight. Whats Low Line?

#41 2 years ago

Up to maybe the late 70s, there were still areas that supplied different voltage than normal.
    In those areas is where the low line was used..
    My very first machine was a 1956 United Shuffle. The transformer was burned out. There
    were fuses in both the Normal and Low lines. I can't say 100% that that is all it took to burn
    out the transformer, but it's enough for me to clip that jumper wire on the older machines going
    from the Normal to Low line fuse holders..

#42 2 years ago

OK.. Makes sense. Definitely good to know. I don't remember seeing that in any of the paperwork I have on the machine. Something like that I would think should be labeled.

#43 2 years ago

So when I switched the jack to the 5th frame, it worked. The flash motor didn't run, just turned on at 5th frame. So there is something in the mystery side that isn't working. I'm not sure that I care at this point. It works..

I'm almost ready to move the game down stairs.. its a keeper.

#44 2 years ago

Thanks to @mopar, player 6 is up and running. Thanks again for the coil..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-shuffle-alley-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.