1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mopar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3158 (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

I've been in the process of cleaning up an old Chicago Coin Shuffle Alley "Americana" and just fired it back on for the first time after cleaning, adjusting, shopping out lamps for LEDs and making sure leaf springs were properly adjusted and everything was secure. Prior to this process the machine turned on, could start a game up, but as with an old machine that was neglected, reels weren't advancing properly, and it wasn't accurately scoring.

When I turned it back on I immediately blew the fuses in in the 30 Amp (unspecified) and the 2 amp slow blow bank reset and the 10 amp normal line. Then out of curiosity sake (and because I only had 10 amp fuses, no 20's) I threw a fuse in the 10 amp normal line, and when I plugged the machine back in, it blew the 10 amp low line.

I don't have a schematic, but these fuses are connected directly to the transformer. See attached picture. Any idea what I might have done, and to undo it?

IMG_3158 (resized).JPGIMG_3158 (resized).JPG
    #2 1 year ago

from a post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-kicker show you use ONE fuse for either normal line or low line (voltage)

#3 1 year ago

Thanks chas10e for the link. I was wondering why there was a jumper between the low and normal line fuses. When I got the machine there was no fuse in the low line spot and now I know why. I don’t have any 20 amp fuses on hand so waiting for them to arrive but in the meantime, would having fuses in both the normal and low line positions have also causes the bank reset coil and the 30 amp fuses to blow? And if so why? I’m not to knowledgeable about how EM game circuits work but trying to learn. Also found the schematic at pinball mikes and it’s on it way.
    Thanks for helping a rookie out!

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Egroegynnek:

Thanks chas10e for the link. I was wondering why there was a jumper between the low and normal line fuses. When I got the machine there was no fuse in the low line spot and now I know why. I don’t have any 20 amp fuses on hand so waiting for them to arrive but in the meantime, would having fuses in both the normal and low line positions have also causes the bank reset coil and the 30 amp fuses to blow? And if so why? I’m not to knowledgeable about how EM game circuits work but trying to learn. Also found the schematic at pinball mikes and it’s on it way.
    Thanks for helping a rookie out!

Your placard doesn't show ANY 30A fuses so don't place one of those in there it shows a 20-Amp fuse at 30-Volts on top

I'm not sure if having a fuse in both normal & low line voltage spots would effectively double the line voltage on the circuit -or- if having in in the low line spot alone (when not needed there) would be enough to cause the other fuses to blow

( I still need to put my shuffle alley back together )

#5 1 year ago

Yes 20amp! That was a typo from composing a message at 7:00am on a Sunday!thanks for the advice. 20amp fuses are on the way then hopefully I can confirm my error!

#6 1 year ago

Years back, my very first machine was a 1956 United Shuffle.
    It came with a burned out Transformer. It had a fuse in both
    the Normal and Low Line fuse holders. Although I can't say with
    certainty it contributed to burning out the Transformer, I do know
    a fuse should never ever be in both. By the mid 70s, in the U.S., the
    low line fuse holder was no longer needed. I now usually cut the jumper
    going to the low line fuse holder.
    When blowing fuses, a breaker (with a blowing AGC fuse solder to
    it's terminals) is a good item to have on hand. It saves from blowing
    additional fuses. Here a 15 Amp breaker, but they have at least up to
    30 Amp. If buying one, I'd pick up a 10, 15, and 20 amp also..
    https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=W58-XB1A4A-15&mfgShortname=TYC&customerPartNumber=&minQty=2&customerId=

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-shuffle-alley-blowing-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.