By Rat_Tomago

4 years ago

Stats

• 9,996 posts
  • 550 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Ballypin
  • Topic is favorited by 143 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6,363 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0208 (resized).JPG
DSCN0328 (resized).JPG
Bally Joker photos scan - crop PF (resized).jpg
Bally Joker photos scan - crop BG (resized).jpg
Bally six shooter PF scan (resized).jpg
Bally six shooter bg scan (resized).jpg
Bally Double Up Pacak comission press photo scan (resized).jpg
Bally Double Up Pacak side view scan (resized).jpg
IMG_9552 (resized).JPG
IMG_9547 (resized).JPG
20171119_171930_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_4140 (resized).JPG
IMG_4239 (resized).JPG
IMG_4243 (resized).JPG
IMG_4238 (resized).JPG
23760417_10204027285798947_863366760_o (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8445 7 months ago

A few works in progress.. One being stripped and repainted and minor tweaking still on J.K.

DSCN7490 (resized).JPG

DSCN7543 (resized).JPG

DSCN7545 (resized).JPG

#8447 7 months ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Teasing me with Bally Grand Tour again I see. I can't wait to see how the game turns out.

Actually I'm going to be working on it today. Going to the store this morning after breakfast to get red and blue paint chips and work on the stencils (verifying that the new stencils match the old artwork) so I can finish stripping the cabinet and get it in primer.

#8456 7 months ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Can't wait to see what Grand Tour looks like when it is done. I am happy to finally see more of these early/mid 60's Bally games brought back to life and preserved. Seems like they are finally gathering the steam they deserve.

Posted a few shots in the resto thread, done with making the stencil today. Now I can strip off the last of the old paint, fix a few bumps and bruises and hit it with some primer. I know they did not come primered, but it will look better and reduce some imperfections.

It won't look 100% detail new when I'm done as I don't have skill set and mentality (I favor functionality over making show queens, you wont see me detailing relays) but I think it will look pretty sharp when complete and work 100% as intended. Even going to try my hand touching up the backglass and sealing as I have a pretty good eye at color matching.

1 week later
#8581 7 months ago

Back from the dead today

DSCN7609TD (resized).jpg

DSCN7608TD (resized).jpg

#8585 7 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

When I saw Ct., I was thinking Kick Off which is one
(actually I have 2) that I have. To me, it's a pretty
underrated machine.. Nice player.. (T)

There is actually a Kickoff for sale in NY, I was tempted to buy it just to work through the problems this one had.

No need now, I think I got it mostly sorted out and will be starting on cosmetics after another day or two.

It is a very fun game to play!

#8626 7 months ago

Inside of Lucky Hand, keys were in lower cabinet

DSCN7637 (resized).JPG

DSCN7638 (resized).JPG

DSCN7639 (resized).JPG

DSCN7640 (resized).JPG

DSCN7641 (resized).JPG

DSCN7642 (resized).JPG

#8627 7 months ago

Back of Ship Ahoy.

This is the one I was excited about getting and of course it is being cranky. Cleaned a bunch of contacts, found some maladjusted relays, voltages are good... and no response when coined up. Going to have to obtain a wiring diagram and check the start sequence to figure out what is going on..

I think Gottliebs just don't like me. Williams, Bally, Chicago Coin? No problem, can bring them back from the dead in an hour.

Gottlieb? They just snicker at my EM kungfu skills. Evil.

DSCN7633 (resized).JPG

DSCN7634 (resized).JPG

DSCN7635 (resized).JPG

DSCN7636 (resized).JPG

#8629 7 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Make sure that ball in play and wow stepper units don't have frozen grease. Pretty common on that era.

First thing I checked, one was a little bound up. Small shot of PB Blaster and its working fine now. Need to look close at a few things before proceeding..

#8635 7 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Make sure that ball in play and wow stepper units don't have frozen grease. Pretty common on that era.

Ship Ahoy is fixed and 100%!

Maybe my Gottlieb EM Kungfu not so bad.

Game is a riot to play!

DSCN7646 (resized).JPG

#8727 7 months ago

A lot of pushing stuff around today.. Grand Tour, Knockout and Heat Wave are all in the other garage being worked on..

DSCN7678 (resized).JPG

DSCN7679 (resized).JPG

#8847 6 months ago
Quoted from Gerry:

My williams EXPO has the same thing going on...
i LIKE brutaly hard games but i think the post is fine
I'm glad its there on EXPO

I picked up a Williams Touchdown 2-3 weeks ago and have it up and running 100% aside from a missing knocker which is on the way.. hands down my favorite pin at the moment but the out lanes are brutal, brutal magnets for the ball during play. I found a picture online showing one TD pin with posts added there and now I'm wondering if it was a factory suggestion after seeing the Cosmos bulletin.

TD_POSTS (resized).jpg

#8850 6 months ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Oops, you just edited the post. The post placement was actually not a bulletin but in the official manual, and the games (usually) had little dimples in the playfield to show the different positions rather than operators screwing it in to "normal" wood.

Yes, I realized I had referenced the wrong game.

Makes me want to pickup a TD manual now and see if there is any post information.

#8853 6 months ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Unfortunately Williams games did not come with a manual until the 70's as far as I know.

I have a few Williams manuals from the 60's and have seen a Touchdown manual for sale. I think 66 or 67 might have been the first years, I know '64 is a no go as I was looking for one for my Heatwave.

The '68 Daffie manual I'm looking at now clearly list play field conservative and liberal positions of posts.

#8854 6 months ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Even if they did suggest it though, the last thing I would suggest today would be screwing screws in new spots into the playfield! Drops value, both collector and monetary. Your game, though, of course. Just a warning.

If its a factory suggestion then I'm all good with it, if not I'll leave it be.

It would make the game more fun *if* there was a post there like the game pictured. The opening for the outlane is a gaping maw that sucks in any ball in the vicinity.

Value.. is subjective. The game has been repainted, the backglass a bit of a shambles and the machine actually started to catch fire while I was at the sellers house and it had been robbed of parts for good measure.

I have it running 100% again, replaced the bulk of the missing parts and some time in the future going to repaint the old girl so it looks something like it shipped from the factory but doubt it will have much collector value.

01616_hQhwuBomhZQ_1200x900 (resized).jpg

00g0g_1eIvmTUPMgK_1200x900 (resized).jpg

00000_gmm92zqfECR_1200x900 (resized).jpg

DSCN7604TD (resized).jpg

#8867 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballbrian:

Gdonovon,hey like your machine,i think your back glass art is better than mine.

Its been doctored... badly. I'm going to scrape some of the "work" off and start fresh in spots.

#8880 6 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Never played this one, and I hear it's a good player.

Love the backglass, hilarious! I'm tempted to buy the one in NY that is for sale just on that alone.

#8881 6 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

My buddy presqueisle gave me a sweet deal on this Dancing Lady project. I'm looking forward to putting some time on it. Love those jeweled posts.

That is one beautiful looking pin, a piece of art in itself.

#8883 6 months ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Which one in NY ?

There is a Bally Little Joe listed for sale.

1 week later
#8989 6 months ago
Quoted from KHL:

A little something followed me home this evening...

I almost purchased one of those a few months ago, the head was broke but fixable.

Just missed it by an hour.

Been looking for a car themed EM for the shop.

#8990 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

You have a Paul Bunyan!? I don't see many Pinsiders here with that game except for Ryan Claytor and myself.

The gameplay doesn't look that exciting to me but has to be about the sweetest backglass art I have seen yet.

#9036 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

What do you consider more exciting gameplay and why?
Paul Bunyan has a lot of non-stop action with the flippers at bottom, middle and top.

Hard to say, the top area looks to be a wasted opportunity though.

Personal preference. Some people like "card game" based pins and they do nothing for me for some reason.

#9086 6 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Bally chimes are even better. .

I have 2 70's Ballys with chimes here, both sound... poor. Even after going through both boxes.

1 week later
#9128 5 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Looks good. Kickoff was my favorite too for a long time. It was set up with just the right threshold for added balls. Every time I played it, it felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants. You really had to fight for it. Earning another ball was like going into overtime (appropriately). Just trying to stay alive long enough to get a good score. Breaking 4000 was really something.
I see someone added a couple posts protecting the outlanes. I have seen that before on this title. They are brutal without them. Which to me is part of the frustrating fun but you may like to keep them.

I have an unmolested Touchdown (win a credit version) and the outlanes are brutal but part of the attraction, I have broken 5000 a few times but its tough and I like my games with some rake to them so it plays fast.

#9133 5 months ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm pretty excited about a recent pick-up I made,
a 1965 Bally Sheba! I think she'll look great next to my 1964 Bally Hay-Ride, with art by the same mind-bogglingly talented Bally mystery artist:

That is a sweet looking table!

2 weeks later
#9182 5 months ago

I was finally able to hit the special in Domino, alas it was while draining the last ball in the right outlane.

DSCN7937 (resized).JPG

#9191 5 months ago
Quoted from Phillips88:

Picked this up today. Wasn't really looking for one, but couldn't pass up on the price. Happy that I did because it turned out really nice after cleaning it up and it's a fun player. Hundred point bell sounds awesome when his for 500 points!

I picked up one last weekend, the bells are awesome!

Your looks fantastic!

#9195 5 months ago
Quoted from spinal:

Noticed this Add-A-Ball version on eBay (Play Mates) has a very different playfield. Anyone know about gameplay differences?
ebay.com link » Like

Some info here (click on the flyer)

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=1828

In Domino you advance the pieces one at a time via upper roll overs if lighted, the 2 kick out holes, the roto target (you have to hit the matching domino or the star of course) and the 6 alternating targets in the lower playfield.

Making it to the final domino lights the 4 special locations and if you hit them win a game credit and knocker for your trouble.

I did it tonight after playing all week, it was on ball 5 but I finally lit the special and collected on the right outlane to win a free credit.

1828f1 (resized).jpg

#9210 5 months ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I guess, technically, if 40 ppl upvoted, we'd still be alright.

44 would be better

#9219 5 months ago

Domino is a work in progress.. but getting there..

DSCN8014 (resized).JPG

DSCN8015 (resized).JPG

#9221 5 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

You can print out a set of instruction and replay cards at this site-
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

The instruction card actually is from Inkochnito and the mask from PBR

The credit/score card is a scan, adjustment and reprint of the one that was there, I liked it so much I put it back in a manner of speaking.

#9222 5 months ago

A long project comes to its conclusion tonight and is in the line up.

DSCN8021 (resized).JPG

#9225 5 months ago
Quoted from bek1966:

Great game. Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks, while it was apart I high tapped it as well and it has more spunk than usual.

Really helps pop the ball up into the upper section of the play field.

#9228 5 months ago

Some colored LED in my Heat Wave- The bonus lights now match the back glass thermometer colors, red special at the top is a flashing bright blinker from Comet and the swinging green targets have green LED to match.

Poppers have non-ghosting LED from Comet for durability reasons. Everything else is incandescent 47's.

DSCN8031HW (resized).jpg

#9230 5 months ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

This may sound like a stupid question, but what is ghosting?

On some machines (not all are EM) when the lamps are off they will flash when some relays in the game snap on and off. This is called "ghosting" and if my memory is correct caused by the collapsing of magnetic fields due to the relays popping on and off, there will be a surge of electricity created which will cause the LED's to flash for a brief moment.

I think non-ghosting LED's have a capacitor built into them which suppresses the issue.

» YouTube video

#9232 5 months ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

On EMs ghosting should not be an issue.

EM's are notorious for it being an issue, I have to be careful where I place ghosting and non-ghosting LED's in my machines. Ones that are on all the time are a non-issue (back glass, coin slots, some inserts) but anything that comes on and off during play is susceptible to it. Traces are spotless, first thing I do when machine is purchased is clean all traces and relays, contacts, etc.

#9237 5 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I acquired an EM with LEDs installed and must say I shared the same experience. The subtle flickering made me feel a little weird.

Not all LED's flicker.

All the ones I have purchased from Comet have no issues, however I did buy a machine that had some cheap ones installed and they had a distinct flicker too them.

#9243 5 months ago

Any help?

COMET LAMPS2 (resized).jpg

#9249 5 months ago

Finishing up another project ('71 Klondike) and going to be for sale most likely... now to get Grand Tour done..

DSCN8035 (resized).JPG

DSCN8038 (resized).JPG

#9254 4 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I really like how Gottlieb, for a short time, had the pricing and score cards sunken into the apron and gently illuminated with a bulb towards the bottom. Completely unnecessary, but it adds such a refined touch, I wish they continued it on more games.
Honestly, that'd be a nice feature to bring back on pinball machines. I know no one ever reads the score cards, but people go through so much effort to produce custom ones, it'd be nice to actually be able to see them on new games in a dark arcade/bar/gameroom.

Chicago Coin did something similar, at least for the ball count and game over.

Not as well done but a nice touch which stands out and it would be nice to see again.

DSCN7838 (resized).JPG

#9260 4 months ago

The newest addition to the collection..

DSCN8061 (resized).JPG

DSCN8062 (resized).JPG

#9263 4 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It's a fun game. Your backglass and center plastic both look to be in great condition. That's rare on this title.

It is a fun game- Its fairly speedy and you keep hammering away hoping to beat the dealer! My wife likes it which is something as she hates most 2 inch flipper games.

Plastics are in good shape and the back glass is very nice with some minor peel here and there. I spent about 2 hours touching up the problem areas and hitting it with triple thick when I was finished. The only area I did NOT touch was the fellow in the center with the red shirt. Typical massive red peel which you can get an idea of looking at the cuff of his shirt.

Would look like hell if I tried to brush it.

I want to give the triple thick a few days to setup proper and try masking and air brushing the area red and see how it comes out. I have a Domino I'm working on too, excited to see how it is going to come out, it needed a lot of work but less than the one already on the machine.

DSCN8055 (resized).JPG

#9264 4 months ago

Here is the Domino glass if anyone is interested in how it came out, wish I took a before shot. It needed several hours of work! I'm going to make a clear overlay decal for the red letters "DOMINO" and see how that works out.

DSCN8067 (resized).JPG

#9265 4 months ago

Newest project... this one has a tough road to go.

DSCN8070 (resized).JPG

#9269 4 months ago
Quoted from klr650:

I just read Caucasian2step's review of Hootenanny. Wow, that was harsh!

I find it best to take some ratings with a a grain of salt.

Full House and Domino both have mediocre ratings and yet I enjoy playing both very much.

#9271 4 months ago
Quoted from monsonb:

Agreed. I have both of these machines, and I really enjoy playing them. I have read many comments on Pinside that indicate that Domino is "underrated".
I bought a Full House project machine just so I could have something to work on. Once I got it going, I realized it was a crackerjack to play, and I did my best to restore the whole machine. I love having it in the lineup.

Domino sizzles with a standard amount of rake IMHO (down in the front, all the way up in the rear) and yellow dot coils. Once the ball gets down in the lower play area (which does not take long) the action factor cranks up in a big way trying to get it back up field or hitting the side targets. I have only been able to light the special 2 or 3 times at best.

I have owned both Klondike and Full House (both slot reel games) and hands down Full House is the better title. Klondike is positively boring in comparison to Full House. FH has some speed going for it that Klondike lacks and a certain "play it again factor" that is missing on Klondike. Trying to beat the dealers hand is far more exciting in FH than picking off a random bonus in Klondike.

#9296 4 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Surf Side is a great game.

Another one that has caught my eye the last few months, love the art package. The backglass has to be one of the best of the EM era right up there with Paul Bunyan

#9297 4 months ago

SWEET!

Been speeding around like a madman all morning and before taking a nap decided to run off another game on Domino. Been averaging around 4000 points per game with a high score of 8002 but I must have hit the upper kick holes 10 times this game and posted a new best of 9071! Closing in on that number one spot!

DSCN8101 (resized).JPG

DSCN8099 (resized).JPG

#9303 4 months ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

9071 points is a great game. Glad to hear about it.

Thank you!

I took an interest in Domino as there was one for sale several hours away in PA and I checked out some Youtube videos. The seller and I could never come to terms (he was unwilling to budge on the price even though it would cost me literately 100's of $$$ to get there and back, tolls and gas through the NE/NY/NJ is brutal) When I did have some business down in that general area and could justify the cost he was not home for a week! Machine was worn and slightly overpriced and it is just as well..

One popped up in Maine a few weeks ago and now its here.. Had to go through it of course and one of the local pin owners had a backglass in better shape which I touched up and sealed.. It is a fine playing pin that sounds gorgeous. Still have some cabinet touch up I'm working on time to time and missing a plastic but largely its done.

#9359 4 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Considering how mushroomed (that I just noticed today) the plunger is,
the playfield's very decent. Those trapped doors could very possibly make this
machine an interesting player..

Looks like a fun pin! One day I too will own a Williams wood rail.

#9361 4 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I'm also thinking it may be an enjoyful pin. 1 of (I believe) only 3 woodrail
Williams pins that I have, but looks maybe to be the one mostly not seen..
Here's another Head that I moved today. I had forgotten how heavy (for a head)
this one is..

I have two 4 player Gottliebs I'm working on, the head units are insanely heavy!

#9379 4 months ago

Bus Stop is functional!

Ordering elastics, a few coils and some other odds and ends this morning from PBR..

DSCN8131 (resized).JPG

DSCN8132 (resized).JPG

DSCN8133 (resized).JPG

DSCN8135 (resized).JPG

DSCN8134 (resized).JPG

#9381 4 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Do you plan on keeping those metal posts
to the sides of the blue pop bumpers,
as they are not original standard parts of the PF layout.
Might give it more action around the pops
but again not as intended by designer.
Guess it may depend on how it plays and
how much damage to the playfield the screw holes made.
Bus Stop definitely has neat art package and layout otherwize.
A game one does not see too often,
I miss mine, now at the PPM.
The head's repaint job looks good, but how are the CAB sides repaint theme?
And what are those rubber posts to the sides of the left and right mushroom bumpers?
Are those plunger shooter rod tips re-purposed for a mini post?

Still working on all those issues, machine finally came lurching to life this morning around 7:15AM when I finally tracked down the continuous scoring motor running issue. Then found that someone had taken apart the left bonus wheel and reassembled it wrong and fixed that. Fixed a bunch of lamp sockets. Main board pulled out and gone through the other day while hunting down issues.

Metal posts are going away but PF already has holes! Might installed small posts with no elastics across as "repair" for now.

Ideally will repaint unit in original colors and do away with greek diner theme.

DSCN8128 (resized).JPG

DSCN8121 (resized).JPG

#9393 4 months ago

Not something you see every day.

2017-07-20 14.07.12 (resized).jpg

#9404 4 months ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Somebody just scored a very nice Darts and it wasn't me.

"Working" is a relative term.

I had to examine the unit while there to find out why there was no sound, the seller was surprised (or good actor, take your pick) to find out there were bells in the unit. Both coils and plungers were melted down into a pile of goo. The list of parts being ordered from PBR is growing.. The playfield, cabinet and BG are in good condition (the playfield in particular) that I paid the man what he wanted for it.

#9406 4 months ago

Big Ben chimes once more...

The last of a trio of machines brought home last Saturday woke from its slumber this morning.. and in surprisingly good condition. Pulled the main board this morning, cleaned, lubed and adjusted everything and went through all the scoring reels. Shortly after the machine was up and running! From there did some meatball surgery to the ball count unit (which is a mess but at least working now) and cleaned all the stepper units. Popped out, cleaned and leveled a bunch of inserts. Changed out a bunch of bulbs. Pulled all the plastics and posts, compounded out the playfield (which had mold on it) and gave it a nice coat of wax and installed new elastics. Polished the plastics and posts. Found that the switches for slingshots were falling apart, repaired. Adjusted the drop targets. Scrubbed the "gear" domes for the poppers.

Not a bad game. With new elastics and waxed playfield far more entertaining then when I first started this morning. Give it a few weeks for a fair shake. Need to work on Star Action next.. once parts from PBR show up I'll be on Bus Stop, Dart and Orbit again.

Gary

DSCN8148 (resized).JPG

DSCN8149 (resized).JPG

#9409 4 months ago
Quoted from wayner:

I would call that a good mornings work Gary-nicely done.

Thank you! Still a little work to do. The scoring motor seem slow and makes a grinding noise which makes all the long chime sequences slow as well. I'm going to swap out a motor from one of my other machines to diag the problem. Lubricating the motor did not seem to make much difference and the cam set moves freely.

#9411 4 months ago
Quoted from wayner:

There is a 'hidden' lube point on those score motors Gary under the motor frame not normally accessed unless the motor is removed.

I'll pull today to examine- Are you talking about the "felt hole" in the area of the axle?

#9412 4 months ago
Quoted from wayner:

There is a 'hidden' lube point on those score motors Gary under the motor frame not normally accessed unless the motor is removed.

I pulled the motor this morning and found the second lube point.

Looking everything over well I don't think the motor is the issue. Coil looks very good, everything spins freely and the bushings are in great shape. Where I think the problem lies is in the switch stacks. I think someone had one or two apart in the past and they seem to have excessive pressure on them which is making the motor work too hard, I think a spacer or two was left out.

#9414 4 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I have buddy who recently picked up a "Space Mission". It's motor was also very slow. The eventual remedy was rebuilding it using a kit available through the Pinball Resource. It works fine now.

I may end up going that route or swapping the motor out. Tried loosening up all the screws holding down the contacts till they were quite light, didn't seem to make any difference.

Think I'll rob the Star Action for its motor assembly and see what we see, doesn't take long.

#9415 4 months ago

Robbing the Star Action's motor assembly fixed the problem! Big Ben zips right along now.

#9423 3 months ago

Look what followed me home today!

Stripped the playfield, compounded it out, touched up the black areas with paint stick, nice coating of paste wax, polished the plastics, cleaned underside of inserts, replaced all the bulbs, cleaned the posts, fixed some coil stops, cleaned and adjusted some relays, cleaned scoring reels, polished stepper contacts and lubed & adjusted steppers, cleaned some roll over switches, got the match unit working (has effect on bonuses) found some bad contacts and repaired, rebuilt the chime unit so it doesn't clank-clank-clank.

Only problem I can find now is the player 1 and 2 lamps, ball count lamps and "one or two can play" lamps will randomly flash like there is a bad connection somewhere and I have to track it down. No rhyme or reason. Will be fine for a few games and then will flicker when you shoot a ball or hit a popper. Can't isolate it yet but will.

DSCN8168 (resized).JPG
DSCN8169 (resized).JPG
DSCN8170 (resized).JPG

#9430 3 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

You got it bad. Sounds like you have the wife behind you so that's a big plus!

I just like to move along prompt so we can get to playing as soon as possible.

My wife is a jewel and we have lots of fun together!

#9432 3 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Only problem I can find now is the player 1 and 2 lamps, ball count lamps and "one or two can play" lamps will randomly flash like there is a bad connection somewhere and I have to track it down. No rhyme or reason. Will be fine for a few games and then will flicker when you shoot a ball or hit a popper. Can't isolate it yet but will.

Fixed.

#9439 3 months ago

The garage where the repairs happen is being taken over! I'm being overrun!

Full House is 100%
Olympic Hockey the puck on the backglass gets stuck, humidity I think.
Darts is pretty much done aside from sealing the backglass
Star Action needs to be gone through 100%, scoring issues and add a ball feature not working.
Bus Stop mostly working, playfield touch up, reel cleaning and some contact cleaning needed on the bonus discs.
Space Odyssey was working 100% and decided it does not want to run two player tonight.
Orbit works 100% but won't play 2 or 4 player, long term project to get working correct.
Spirit of '76 working 100%, have to install new green insert and sand blast and paint legs.

Always something to do..

DSCN8181 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#9503 3 months ago

Finished our Space Odyssey this morning- Yesterday I pulled the back glass, touched up a bunch of white, blue, black areas and some minor red and green spots. The reds are pretty faded so there isn't much you can do there and the green capsule looked tough enough I put green LED's behind it to lessen the visual blow. 3 heavy coats of triple thick and it was back in place..

This morning finally found the cause of player 2 randomly not always cuing up from the start button, turned out to be a slightly sticky coin 2 latch relay. A minor tweak with a pair of needle nose pliers and it was working 100%. Fun game, my wife and I like playing it and it is going in the long term line up this week.

Gary

DSCN8241 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#9522 88 days ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

7 days and no new postings? For sure we have more pics to share.

Ok!

20170824 (resized).jpg

#9529 85 days ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Hey, I know that one,Bally Bazaar. Played it in NH on vacation. Good times.
-Mike

I wonder if it is the same one!

#9563 80 days ago

Bally Bazaar- Cleaned and waxed the playfield, replaced all the bulbs, repaired one of the mushroom switches, replaced burned up zipper flipper release coil, new flipper bats and elastics, new ball, cleaned the scoring reels, fixed a fussy light socket or two, removed a ton of grease off the zipper flipper mech so it now works, fixed some half assed wiring and adjusted 2-3 relays.

Now that it is functioning well (mostly) I have to pull the boards and go through everything to make it 100%

Working on stripping the blue paint off, original is still underneath and doesn't look like in bad shape.

This is a REALLY fun game, definitely going in the long term line up. I'm really starting to take a shine to these mid-60's Ballys.

2017-09-01 16.24.50 (resized).jpg

2017-09-01 16.23.21 (resized).jpg

2017-09-01 16.23.33 (resized).jpg

2017-09-01 16.23.56 (resized).jpg

2017-09-01 16.23.44 (resized).jpg

2017-09-01 16.24.14 (resized).jpg

2017-09-01 16.24.26 (resized).jpg

2017-09-01 16.24.36 (resized).jpg

#9565 79 days ago

Newest addition to my EM room-o-games, my first scratch built proton pack. Need to wire it up off a transformer so it goes on with the neon lights

DSCN8264 (resized).JPG

#9567 79 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I plead total ignorance here. Please explain.

I'm not afraid of no ghost!

bill-murray (resized).jpg

#9573 78 days ago

Finally got Star Action working 100%

Wife and I are starting to take a shine to it now that its sorted out.

DSCN8274 (resized).JPG

DSCN8275C (resized).JPG

DSCN8276A (resized).JPG

#9574 78 days ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Since this ones in pretty decent shape and also have heard that it's
a decent player, I someday plan on having this one set up..

Played one, it really is a fun player.

One game bell isn't bad, all those roll overs make the reels chatter like crazy and make their own music.

1 week later
#9610 71 days ago

My second highest score!

Has some LED for backbox lighting (regular blinking incandescent for title) and bright LED for score reels which are terribly dark with normal 44 bulbs.

DSCN8281 (resized).JPG

#9613 71 days ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Man, so glad you are enjoying Bazaar. I thought I wanted one in the worst way and I almost bought it twice this summer but other games kept coming along and made me keep passing. I just love the backglass and yellow reels but the playfield art and layout just doesn't seal the deal for me. If one comes up closer to me in decent shape and decent price then all bets are off. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I'm really loving some of the asymmetrical setups of the 60's Bally pins, love Bazaar! Can't wait to get it painted and tuned up 100%

Grand Tour is growing on me too, Bus Stop I'm only so-so on but it has a more traditional symmetrical layout.

1 week later
#9667 63 days ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I find that happens with some games. When you first get it and are just batting the ball around you may have some stellar scores. Once you learn the game a bit and are focused on trying to achieve certain goals the scores can drop. Beginners may be more focused on just keeping the ball in play rather than making specific shots. It seems counterintuitive but can sometimes result in a better game.

Matches my theory about how I play vs my wife.

1) She takes all the shots and will in general beat me half the time.

2) I'm a "high risk, high reward" shooter and when I'm cooking will bury her by a factor of 5x-10x when I'm on fire.

Our last game of Moon Shot she had around a 1500 score, I rolled the reels to 105,371.

#9673 62 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Wow, does she still want to "compete" with you?

She is very good about it as she knows there is a good chance to beat me, usually by a small margin though.

Just when I beat her its usually a rout.

High Risk/High Reward.

2 weeks later
#9767 44 days ago

Finally got around to changing up the line up- Hi Flyer is out and for sale, Touchdown in the workshop for cabinet repaint and Space Odyssey and Star Action are in! My wife can kick ass on Star Action, her new favorite.

Gary

DSCN8340 (resized).JPG

#9769 44 days ago
Quoted from fingersport:

Nice lineup Gary. I love the art work on the Chicago Coin "Moon ?" Kinda looks like Bally art from that time period. If you have the time post some close up pictures of the backglass and the playfield. I don't think I have ever seen this game. Thanks. Don

Moon Shot artwork was by Christian Marche and it is a really fun game.

DSCN7809 (resized).JPG
MS_BG_AFTER (resized).jpg

DSCN7813MS (resized).jpg
DSCN7816MS (resized).jpg
DSCN7817MS (resized).jpg
DSCN7810MS (resized).jpg
DSCN7821 (resized).JPG

#9773 44 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Very nice looking game! Never seen that one before.

Two player version has different back glass art and playfield colors!

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=101

It is a solid effort by Chicago Coin and goes toe to toe with many other titles from this era in my opinion. Tough game with high rewards if you know how to play the table (rack up the bonus and collect via center lanes, harder than it looks) and game play gets very exciting when the ball is trapped "down in the pocket" as you try to boost it out with those 2" flippers.

If I had a complaint the bells are a little weak, I should look to see if there is worn bushings.

On reflection, the 50's and 60's were the high water mark for Chicago Coin, once the 70's picked up speed they seemed to head downhill as far as pinball goes. The '74 Hi-Flyer I have is ok and very similar to the Williams Star Action (2 upper lanes, 4 drop targets, 2 return lanes, 3 bumpers) with a spinner instead of a disc with 2 posts.. Great "wood block" triple chimes too.. from what I have been reading they got cheap after that.

image-9 (resized).jpg
image-3 (resized).jpg

#9774 44 days ago

Not a lot of difference between the two.

DSCN8274 (resized).JPG

DSCN8309 (resized).JPG

#9778 44 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

What's the "CC" game?

Hi-Flyer

DSCN8308 (resized).JPG

#9780 43 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Ah, I should have known. Vic Camp once had one that I saw and played.
That was a long time ago though.
One main difference between that game and "Triple Action" is that it has return lanes.

Minor difference, overall the same pf.

Enough so my wife agreed to let it go for Star Action.

#9782 42 days ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Your just going to have build on your house or buy a larger one!
Just a question do find working on Chicago Coin's machines hard? I have come across some repairmen who will not work on them.

Very easy and the two I have here really do give me the least amount of trouble.

The most PITA? Gottlieb.

#9786 42 days ago
Quoted from Darcy:

It is too late, now.

Is what it is. Both almost caused me to rip out what little of my hair is left.

The two Gottlieb left in my collection are largely reliable.. mostly. Domino has been pretty good since put in the line, though it seems to have an appetite for 47's for some reason down in the slingshots.

On the Chicago Coin reliability I can only speak for machines made from 1969-1974, the later ones look like they might have gotten cheap so can't say.

Doorbell chimes to save money? That is scraping the barrel.

#9810 39 days ago

Practically in my backyard, so how could I resist?

Going to need some stout help.

2017-10-12 20.08.35 (resized).jpg

2017-10-12 20.08.50 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#9867 16 days ago

Newest addition to the game room.. 1958 Double Action.

DSCN8506 (resized).JPG

DSCN8508 (resized).JPG

#9870 15 days ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have one
Gottlieb 2 Player Woodrail. Nice colorful game!

My first woodrail game not counting Williams Darts which is a bit of a hybrid.

#9875 14 days ago

Speaking of the game room... shuffling around and getting ready for the cold winter months to arrive.

If I sell Ship Ahoy, I think I can slip in Grand Tour (not stenciled yet) and Bazaar too.

DSCN8512 (resized).JPG

#9878 14 days ago
Quoted from SirScott:

You had me at "sell Ship Ahoy."

It is the one that is getting played least so.. time to go.

Star Action from Colson is getting pounded daily, my wife and son are having a battle to see who can hold the top spot. Space Odyssey getting a good work out as well. Ding Dong, Moon Shot and Night Rider all see regular usage. Domino is the first machine I turn on. Heat Wave isn't seeing much use but that is the first one that I have completed and painted so not going anywhere just yet.

fecb82d2796fec961f3314e3d5d5a6cc0f503ffe (resized).jpg

#9881 14 days ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Just do what a neighbor did here build another 2 car garage! I think you need another Big Ben.

Already built this... it is full of cars... and a few pins under repair. Lucky Strike and Darts are already in the game room even though LS isn't a 100% yet. Need to tinker around with the spares relay bank, I think one or two are sticking. Fun game though, same for Darts. Played several rounds last night and was able to light the special and collect on the gobble hole.

Bus Stop going too I think along with Ship Ahoy, game play just not my cup of tea for some reason.

736666_10152379565890716_1843025272_o (resized).jpg
DSCN8497G (resized).jpg

#9883 14 days ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Keep your Moon Shot pecos is the only one that I know who has that one also and I have only seen one for sale on CL in the southwest desert somewhere. We just had 6 tornados the other day and one they showed it had flattened a garage.

We love Moon Shot, not going anywhere! Awesome game. My wife almost beat my high score this weekend, missed it by 100 points!

DSCN7809MS (resized).jpg

1 week later
#10002 19 hours ago

"There are 9993 posts in topic. You are on page 201 of 201."

Bring it on!!

DSCN0328 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 71.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
£ 37.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 15.00
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
$ 11.99
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Endicott, NY
$ 52.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside