Topic Stats

• 12,143 posts
  • 680 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,956 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Steve the pirate (resized).jpg
DSC05777 (resized).JPG
DSC05776 (resized).JPG
DSC05779 (resized).JPG
DSC05772 (resized).JPG
DSC05774 (resized).JPG
DSC05773 (resized).JPG
20191127_173035_resized (resized).jpg
20191117_141652 (resized).jpg
20191117_140230 (resized).jpg
20191117_140237 (resized).jpg
20191117_140224 (resized).jpg
20191117_140217 (resized).jpg
IMG_3103 (resized).JPG
IMG_3102 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191110_193917187 (resized).jpg

There are 12143 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 243.
#4201 4 years ago

Finally finished strip down, Iso / Magic Eraser bath, 3 coats of wax, re-rubbered, re-bulbed throughout. Now to clean all the relays and get this thing to fire up a game. Work in progress. I am loving the way this machine works. I just hope it is fun.

IMG_1917.JPG IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1919.JPG
#4202 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Love the middle-pop games and Safari is one of the better ones. Nice find.

Thanks! I played one at PAPA and really liked it. I looked around and saw that they don't come up for sale very often at all. Oddly enough, a few weeks later I was able to locate one on eBay. I probably overpaid, but I wanted it so it didn't matter.

#4203 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I put about 25 games on it and it really isn't a bad game. not sure but I think it is the only em I played that had a plunger skill shot?

Nice score Boilerman. Glad you were able to find d a Strange World, even if it was 3000 miles away! The Blue Note pics don't quite show the notes collected inserts. Any wear in that area? Usually does, also the kick out hole right on the "5000" I would assume.

#4204 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I just hope it is fun.

I think Ship-Mates is the best 60s GTB multi-player out there,
only wish the roto-target was a bit more accessible.

#4205 4 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Picked up a 1948 Gottlieb Barnacle Bill that was in storage for over 12 years. The owner said it worked before it went into hibernation, but made no assurances that it works now. Playfield looks pretty good and it is a repro glass in the head. I do believe it shouldn't be too hard to get it going. There is a full schematic on the back of the head panel. An original advertisement was included.
I've only seen this game once before, but the real attraction for me is the backglass. Great Roy Parker art, it is rather risque when you see the unsavory ladies hanging out in the w***ehouse, and ol' Barnacle Bill heading in for a little fun. Those of you "old timers" in this forum may recall singing the dirty version of Barnacle Bill when we were kids.
"Whose that knocking on my door....."

Barnacle Bill 1.jpeg
Barnacle Bill 2.jpeg
Barnacle Bill 3.jpeg
Barnacle Bill 4.jpeg
Barnacle Bill 5.jpeg
Barnacle Bill 6.jpeg
Barnacle Bill newspaper ad.jpeg

This is a general followup to the previous post, but more specifically to the Pinsiders who chatted with me at Allentown this past weekend and wanted to know how the refurb is going on this old gal...

Just about finished with the shopping and cleanup. Pleasantly realized that the art glass is, indeed, original and not a repro, as previously thought. Some very minor flaking in the upper left and lower left corners. Currently awaiting "screw in" bulbs from PBR and then I can take a little video to share. Art glass does not easily remove, as in later games - panel needs to be unscrewed and glass lifted straight up and out. Will probably replace all lamps once glass if off, but just a few are not lighting now.

Game needed some work to get it going, but since it had obviously been cared for previously, it definitely has low plays and was pretty clean. A few hacks needed to be fixed with the badly spliced power cord and the bent nail flipper bushing repair instead of a cotter pin.. Want to also send a thank you to the pinsiders who mentioned Gel Gloss as the best cleaner they've used. I'm a convert....

Not much info available about this game and would welcome thoughts from others who may be familiar with it. It's not even mentioned in the pinside database. It is an absolute find....fun, pretty and plays well for a 67 year old game! I discovered several interesting things:

When the ball goes over certain roll overs, it activates Barnacle Bill to "knock" on the door of the house of ill repute. What happens is the light pulses, an optical illusion, to make it look like he's knocking. The forthcoming video will show that nicely. Really cute...

There's a bell in the cabinet that, when activated, will quickly ding 5 times to give the 50,000 point award. A different 10,000 bell to the one that is in the head. Two bells...

There's a time clock, which looks like a bell mounted under the playfield. When the game starts, it activates the "egg timer" which will run for about 10 minutes. Since there is no on/off switch, this timer automatically shuts the machine off if it wasn't in use. It works, but since it's a spring wound, it's not very accurate. Sometimes it shuts off in 7 minutes, other times 10... charming, nonetheless.

The game has 4 reverse flippers and bingo springs along the side. Game play is surprisingly peppy for an old girl. Not too difficult to win a game. What is interesting is that the credit counter is a projected image, the light source is a car light bulb. It also knocks quietly when a game is won. I suppose the quiet knocking and hard-to-see credit counter was purposeful since winning games needed to be kept on the quiet. The lighthouse lights with a 7.5 watt night light. There is a credit knock off switch on the bottom that clears everything and ends the game when pushed.

Artwork is similar to Mermaid. Very similar mermaids and fisherman. The parrot in Barnacle Bill's hand is not too different than the parrot in Dragonette.

The rebound rubber, naturally, was dead. Replacements are next to impossible and PBR said they'll order from me if I can find one. I put a small flipper rubber around it and it's pretty good.

Video from oldcarz productions will be out shortly. thanks

knocking.jpg cabinet.jpg timer.jpg playfield2.jpg playfield1.jpg mermaids.jpg instructioncard.jpg barnaclebill.jpg
#4206 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Where did you get that carpet? We are buying a new house in the next month or so and I'm starting my shopping early.

I got it from here:
http://www.valuecarpetonline.com/carpet-black-light.htm

I called them and worked with a guy named Tony. He was really helpful. The carpet I got was leftover from a huge corporate buy. It is really high quality and has what is called "Kanga trac" backing. Basically it is a polyurethane backing instead of rubber. It commercial grade, wears like iron, is made for airports and places with heavy equipment rolling around. It also does not allow spills to go through or soak in at all, so they can be cleaned up. It is great stuff. Has to be glued down by someone who knows what they are doing. Tony knew what I was looking for and sent me pictures of this when the leftovers came in stock and I got it for very cheap at $2.89 per square foot.

#4207 4 years ago

Thanks John_I. It looks really cool and is exactly what I want.

#4208 4 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Want to also send a thank you to the pinsiders who mentioned Gel Gloss as the best cleaner they've used. I'm a convert....

I have a bottle of Gel Gloss and I agree it is an excellent gentle cleaner. Here is a link to another great site that has an article on how to use it. http://bingo.cdyn.com/techno/overhaul/playfield/surface.html See under the surface page.

You can buy from Home Depot but beware there are two products, you want the one pictured.

Gel Gloss.JPG

#4209 4 years ago

Steve, Thanks for link/article about using Gel Gloss. Yes, there are two different products, and I do use the one in the pic that you posted. You can see a little bit of my bottle on the left of picture #3 of my post.

Good stuff...

#4210 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I put about 25 games on it and it really isn't a bad game. not sure but I think it is the only em I played that had a plunger skill shot?

Bally Fireball...
skill shot to get the ball to stop drop/rollback and hit the 3 1K roll overs and light the pop bumpers

#4211 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Bally Fireball...
skill shot to get the ball to stop drop/rollback and hit the 3 1K roll overs and light the pop bumpers

Most Gtb ems have plunger skill shots, as previously stated. 4mbc has a great one too!

#4212 4 years ago

what is the definition of skill shot?
my understanding it is a shot that scores a lot but it is only lit until a point is scored then goes away for the rest of that ball?

#4213 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

my understanding it is a shot that scores a lot but it is only lit until a point is scored then goes away for the rest of that ball?

Exactly. I'm trying to think of ANY Gottlieb EM that has a skill shot? I can't think of a single one. Maybe Jack in the Box because you can't hit the ball back up there at any time during the ball?

#4214 4 years ago

that was my understanding and maybe I misunderstood?
on blue note one of the top roll over lights are lit. if you hit the lit one will a plunger shot you get 10k but once you any point is scored it goes out not to be see until next ball.
I am not sure about bally or Williams games but I can think of one gottlieb em that had that.
maybe mike0 or dirt can chime in

Quoted from John_I:

Exactly. I'm trying to think of ANY Gottlieb EM that has a skill shot? I can't think of a single one. Maybe Jack in the Box because you can't hit the ball back up there at any time during the ball?

#4215 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that was my understanding and maybe I misunderstood?
on blue note one of the top roll over lights are lit. if you hit the lit one will a plunger shot you get 10k but once you any point is scored it goes out not to be see until next ball.
I am not sure about bally or Williams games but I can think of one gottlieb em that had that.
maybe mike0 or dirt can chime in

If you are talking a discreet skill shot then there are limited Gottlieb EM games that offer this. The examples that come to mind quickly are both Soccer/Super Soccer and Top Score/300 where if you hit the rollover at the top a stand up target lights for a Special if you hit it before scoring any points.

But, to me, the skill shot on any EM is the shot that gets you more points than the other alternatives. While not a disappearing skill shot, they are skill shots nonetheless.

Here are several examples:

1. On Surfer/Surf Champ one rollover lane is lit for 2 bonus where the unlit lanes provide only one bonus. To me the lit lane is the skill shot.

2. On Jumping Jack/Jack in the Box the lit hole is the skill shot. It also ups the value of drop targets/bonus by 10x.

3. On Spirit of 76/Pioneer there is a less obvious skill shot which is the center C rollover since that is the only place on the game you can get it. It doesn't cry out skill shot but it is the skill shot nonetheless.

4. On Quick Draw/Fast Draw either the A or C top rollover is the skill shot to me due to the fact that the B rollover is duplicated at the inner rollover lanes above the flippers. These B lanes are much safer to get than the adjacent A and C return lanes because any ball that hits at the A or C return lanes can rattle into the respective outlane.

5. On Drop a Card one of the two lanes at the top is lit for extra points.

6. On Slick Chick your skill shot is one of the top lanes for SLICK or CHICK and 50 points. If you already have SLICK as you plunge the next ball the CHICK lane is your skill shot and vice versa.

7. On any single player Gottlieb wedgehead where you are trying to unlight a letter or number at the top to complete a sequence the skill shot is a letter/number that you need. As you collect/unlight the letters/numbers the remaining letters/numbers become your skill shots. Ice Revue and North Star and Crosstown and.......

I'm ready for the controversy to fly now.

#4216 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

If you are talking a discreet skill shot then there are limited Gottlieb EM games that offer this. The examples that come to mind quickly are both Soccer/Super Soccer and Top Score/300 where if you hit the rollover at the top a stand up target lights for a Special if you hit it before scoring any points.
But, to me, the skill shot on any EM is the shot that gets you more points than the other alternatives. While not a disappearing skill shot, they are skill shots nonetheless.
Here are several examples:
1. On Surfer/Surf Champ one rollover lane is lit for 2 bonus where the unlit lanes provide only one bonus. To me the lit lane is the skill shot.
2. On Jumping Jack/Jack in the Box the lit hole is the skill shot. It also ups the value of drop targets/bonus by 10x.
3. On Spirit of 76/Pioneer there is a less obvious skill shot which is the center C rollover since that is the only place on the game you can get it. It doesn't cry out skill shot but it is the skill shot nonetheless.
4. On Quick Draw/Fast Draw either the A or C top rollover is the skill shot to me due to the fact that the B rollover is duplicated at the inner rollover lanes above the flippers. These B lanes are much safer to get than the adjacent A and C return lanes because any ball that hits at the A or C return lanes can rattle into the respective outlane.
5. On Drop a Card one of the two lanes at the top is lit for extra points.
6. On Slick Chick your skill shot is one of the top lanes for SLICK or CHICK and 50 points. If you already have SLICK as you plunge the next ball the CHICK lane is your skill shot and vice versa.
7. On any single player Gottlieb wedgehead where you are trying to unlight a letter or number at the top to complete a sequence the skill shot is a letter/number that you need. As you collect/unlight the letters/numbers the remaining letters/numbers become your skill shots. Ice Revue and North Star and Crosstown and.......
I'm ready for the controversy to fly now.

all of that is true and I can not say that they are not skill shot, but I guess I am thinking more of what a skill shot was in the SS era.
like what pascal added to the system 1 games with his boards.
mike have you ever played rock star or blue note? I wonder if rock star has the same thing as blue note?

#4217 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I wonder if rock star has the same thing as blue note?

Yes it does.

#4218 4 years ago

I thought it would but sometimes aab change scoring stuff so I wasn't sure
thanks for clearing that up

#4219 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

To me, the 'skill shot' has always just been another term for the 'plunger shot'.

#4220 4 years ago

According to this flyer from 1960 the amazing new moving target on Magic Clock is a real "skill shot".
1515f1.jpg

There's that shelf again! It must be happy hour.

#4221 4 years ago

On most EM's... there is a skill shot (or plunger shot) of some sort.

Could be the particular color 'one' you need to light specials on Sing Along, or the rollover at the top of 4 Roses to get a red and yellow advance and also light the triple advance. Although Kordek designed it so that it was likely... but not a given. Or maybe to plunge just right and get all five advances on Heat Wave... or get the red, white and blue 'ones' on Shangri-La. Etc.

#4222 4 years ago

i always assumed a skill shot meant that the player had to intentionally aim for the target/feature as opposed to a target that can only be hit randomly by a bumper or something. pointing out skill shots in general and on flyers for example was great for advertising and to entice players and operators and i'm sure it helped distance pinball from just a game of luck aka gambling.

#4223 4 years ago

Coming soon ( ish ) .......

A.JPG
#4224 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Coming soon ( ish ) .......

A.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Ooooooo, I'm jelly... as you guys say here.

#4225 4 years ago

Damn, I need to get me a woody...

#4226 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Once you get one, they tend to show up regularly.

#4227 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Ooooooo, I'm jelly... as you guys say here.

Your review on IPBD helped me as never played it but you say it's a great player and you know your games

#4228 4 years ago

Your review on IPBD helped me as never played it but you say it's a great player and you know your games

Oh, well... thank you.

What a nice thing to say.

#4229 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

They have little blue pills for that these days.

#4230 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Oh, well... thank you.
What a nice thing to say.

The thing is that it's true

While researching pins I read everything I can find on the net and what I need to know is if a game is a good player. The rest I can usually work out, i.e art/condition etc.

So, another coming soon and was again influenced by your write up It was like the 'icing on the cake' comment!

Anyway this sat unsold for over 3 months. I passed on it initially but then read something else and was surprised no one had bought her so figured, may as well be the one. Bit of KO hole wear but pretty nice in my book.

DSC02538.JPG
#4231 4 years ago

It looks a lot like the layout of K.C. Jones from 1949. Looks like a lot of fun.

#4232 4 years ago

another coming soon

And one that Elvis played in Detroit, 1956.
Elvis plays Diamond Lil

#4233 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

And one that Elvis played in Detroit, 1956.
Elvis plays Diamond Lil

What a cool photo!

Never seen that before.

Wonder what the game on the far left is? Maybe Stage Coach 1954?

stageco2.jpg
#4234 4 years ago

Maybe Stage Coach 1954?

Yes.

#4235 4 years ago

The thing is that it's true
While researching pins I read everything I can find on the net and what I need to know is if a game is a good player. The rest I can usually work out, i.e art/condition etc.
So, another coming soon and was again influenced by your write up It was like the 'icing on the cake' comment!
Anyway this sat unsold for over 3 months. I passed on it initially but then read something else and was surprised no one had bought her so figured, may as well be the one. Bit of KO hole wear but pretty nice in my book.

DSC02538.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

I think you are really going to like both machines, even though they are quite different from each other.

Diamond 'Lil is more the 'nudger's game' of the two... but Coronation is such a stand-out title because of the tremendous 'finesse' needed, I don't think you could go wrong with either one of these games!

#4236 4 years ago

Todays haul. Second one in the past month. I think they were both from the same operator. Both came from New Jersey

image.jpg image-594.jpg image-767.jpg
#4237 4 years ago

MGF#IHT$HPP%PPP!!@!!

*cough* pardon... very happy for you. Let me know if you get tired of either one.

#4238 4 years ago

I picked up my first EM last month. It's been surprisingly fun to play. I would definitely consider buying another one.

20150509_095755.jpg 20150509_095814.jpg
#4239 4 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I picked up my first EM last month. It's been surprisingly fun to play. I would definitely consider buying another one.

20150509_095755.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
20150509_095814.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

C37 is a great game! Looks like you got a nice one. The wood tone on the playfield is still nice and light. Sometimes they are really yellowed/browned and make the girl look like she has a cheap spray-on tan.

#4240 4 years ago

^^^^^. You picked a great game for your first EM ^^^^^^

C37 is unusual, fun to play and looks great.

#4241 4 years ago

My only problem with C37 was that a couple inserts are cupped so I'm going to have to learn how to remove them and sand them smooth and put them back in. Luckily none of them have decals on them. It does make for some crazy ball action when the ball hits some of the really bad ones. It's almost like there is a magnet pulling it the other way.

#4242 4 years ago

One option is to have the playfield professionally touched-up and auto cleared. Looks dazzling and will restore the surface to flat again.

#4243 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

One option is to have the playfield professionally touched-up and auto cleared. Looks dazzling and will restore the surface to flat again.

Usually overkill for an EM though. And looks too plastic/artificial to boot. (Not to mention ruining the value and originality.)

Not that I'm biased, of course.

But knocking the inserts out and sanding flat, especially ones with no graphics, is fairly straightforward. Or, can also just buy new ones. They still need some sanding, but at least aren't cupped.

#4244 4 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I picked up my first EM last month.

Ah, this is the one that was up here in the cities and sold on eBay. Good to know it found a local home still. Nice pick up.

#4245 4 years ago

I am with Dirt. Don't auto clear an EM. We go through this discussion about every 3 or 4 months. gluing inserts is not difficult. Sanding inserts is not difficult either. There are several postings / guides on the internet and you tube on how to do it properly.

#4246 4 years ago

My current line up. Just finished the Aztec restro. A few issues, but looks great. I have a Gulstream waiting in the wings for a restro.

image.jpg

image.jpg

#4247 4 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

My only problem with C37 was that a couple inserts are cupped so I'm going to have to learn how to remove them and sand them smooth and put them back in. Luckily none of them have decals on them. It does make for some crazy ball action when the ball hits some of the really bad ones. It's almost like there is a magnet pulling it the other way.

How about the mylar method? Mylar circles of different sizes, smallest first. Levels insert and no risk to game if worried about damage.

Used to be able to buy kits but can't find anymore.

#4248 4 years ago

How about the mylar method? Mylar circles of different sizes, smallest first. Levels insert and no risk to game if worried about damage.
Used to be able to buy kits but can't find anymore.

Greg at oldpinballs stocks the kits.

http://www.oldpinballs.com/store.html

#4249 4 years ago

You guys with those lovely wood rails, bless you, they are B E A U T I F U L L !
all the awesome ocean/sea/bikini/meramid themes.
2001( still restoring myself ) and Surf Champ ( restored by APR with some the crew in Perth Western Aus. )
with WNBJM coming, coooooooool!
DSCN0978.JPG
DSCN0651.JPG

#4250 4 years ago

Nice looking 2001 so far! I suggest doing the "cabaret lights" mod under the top arch (drilling out the arch and playfield holes & installing four sockets). Helps brighten up the area & still looks original because many Gottliebs already have it.

Dirt & Rat... I know you guys are anti-clear... but every game in my stable gets the dip. I think it looks astounding, plays fast, protects touch-ups, levels the entire play surface, and prevents further wear. It may not add value for folks who prefer original condition... but the next generation will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Just saying... 2 sides to every coin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Boards
PinSound
There are 12143 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 243.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside