Topic Stats

• 12,132 posts
  • 680 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by midniight
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,948 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191117_141652 (resized).jpg
20191117_140230 (resized).jpg
20191117_140237 (resized).jpg
20191117_140224 (resized).jpg
20191117_140217 (resized).jpg
IMG_3103 (resized).JPG
IMG_3102 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191110_193917187 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191024_154651251 (resized).jpg
AT2 (resized).jpg
AT1 (resized).jpg
20191110_181329 (resized).jpg
20191110_181312 (resized).jpg
20191108_140747 (resized).jpg
20191108_140157 (resized).jpg
20191108_135936 (resized).jpg

There are 12132 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 243.
#3301 4 years ago

why purple not pink?

#3302 4 years ago

I'm definitely partial to the 2" flipper games, but really like many of the 3" flipper games too.
I have many of them in my collection, as does my good buddy Vic Camp. Really love "Gold Strike"/"El Dorado", "Free Fall", "Jacks Open"/"Lucky Hand", "Neptune/"Hit the Deck", "Pro Pool","Pin-Up", "Capt. Card"/"High Hand" (the punishers), and of course "Golden Arrow". I'm sure I'm leaving out many. A great many of the legendary multi-player games were also 3" flipper games. Too many to name. Drop target games were dominant. A golden age for Gottlieb pinball for sure.

#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I wanted to share a very challenging and rewarding project with you guys (with the owner's permission)
It seems like there are two camps here in the EM forum. Those that prefer older 50's/60's games with 2" flippers, and those that prefer later 70's games with 3" flippers. I like to think I can appreciate both for their unique gameplay, artwork and the evolution of EM technology. This one obviously falls into the later category with classic late 70's artwork and fast gameplay.
Here's the link for the full photo set-
https://picasaweb.google.com/113822175696968990275/StrangeWorldResto?authkey=Gv1sRgCIjY1K2Yx4PIjAE
Enjoy!

That's a sweet looking Strange World!

20141214_084955.jpg 210 KB

#3304 4 years ago

Just toured the Picasa album. Superb restoration! I think I may have played this game once or twice, but didn't really pay it much mind. Next time I see one, I'll play it with more attention.

#3305 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

why purple not pink?

The difference between purple and pink is the strength of your grip.

#3306 4 years ago

Really, the purple does not look that bad. Yes, Boilerman the pink is the correct colour. On this Topic check out Page 5 post #230.

#3307 4 years ago

Here's the original color under the edge of the coin door with the newly painted neck for comparison. It really is more of a raspberry color, not a deep purple. I matched as closely as possible from three shades. It was never pink to begin with, all the current examples have some degree of fade. Look under the legs/coin door for comparison. This flyer is obviously not true to the color, but is certainly not pink like C-37.

20141130_131901.jpeg s.w.flyer.jpg
#3308 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

why purple not pink?

I reshot the pink/purple when I had mine with a more brilliant purple because that was the best match available in a rattle can. Frankly the deeper shade went very well with the playfield and backglass colors.

#3309 4 years ago

After looking at the photos on a larger monitor. The photo of the Strange World posted on the previous page, has been taken in a darker room, possibly with no flash. In the restoration pics the pink/magenta looks fine. Great Job! by the way.

As for the flyer, that exact color was most likely skipped, in order to save printing costs.

#3310 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

The photo of the Strange World posted on the previous page, has been taken in a darker room, possibly with no flash.

I was gonna say that too, but didn't bother......
It does look quite a bit darker in that shot posted here.

#3311 4 years ago

My current lineup.

IMG_1233.JPG
#3312 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Wow very nice condition and backbox rainbow looks good (not melted). BTW, PBR carries the red deco domed 1-point caps if you want the original color scheme.
I noticed some folks double-rubber the 2" flippers. What is the upside of doing this?

Are you sure red is the original color scheme? All the pictures on IPBD show blue? But there are red rings underneath so maybe everyone is copying IPBD which is wrong?

I didn't know the rainbows melted. Mine has some cracks at the very bottom but otherwise pretty good for over 50 years.

#3313 4 years ago

I recently picked up a working GTB Universe from a local that was moving. The Universe is mostly original (including bg) with the exception of a couple of bells that were missing, and a GTB 70's style on/off switch with new power cord. Someone painted the legs too. Fun to play.

Also, I included a pic of my Pop-a-Card which is next to my Dimension. I picked up the Pop-a-Card along with a Captain Card (in storage) awhile back from deep in the woods of northern Wisconsin (cheese head territory). Those 2 have been getting a lot of play as of late. Around the corner from these is Abra, El Dorado, and Jacks Open.

Universe - col 005.JPG
Universe - col 004.JPG
Universe - col 011.JPG
Universe - col 019.JPG
Universe - col 020.JPG
Universe - col 021.JPG
Universe - col 009.JPG
Universe - col 010.JPG
Universe - col 014.JPG
Universe - col 016.JPG

#3314 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Are you sure red is the original color scheme? All the pictures on IPBD show blue? But there are red rings underneath so maybe everyone is copying IPBD which is wrong?
I didn't know the rainbows melted. Mine has some cracks at the very bottom but otherwise pretty good for over 50 years.

It's hard to know for sure. Most of the photos I see on IPDB of the 1-point deco caps are white...

...however...

...my machine has been in my family since the mid-70's and had the original caps on it the whole time (swirly plastic and all). The 1-point caps were red. I searched online but found no consistent answer.

In most Gottliebs, the playfield ring under the pops are either an identical or complementary color. For example, the Flipper Fair clones (Subway and Cross Town) use white caps. But in those cases the PF underneath is white, and white is also a dominant color on the PF.

Since Flipper Fair leans more towards primary colors, has red rings, and the originals on my game were red... I used red.

I do think it looks better that way, but you know, biased childhood memories and all...

#3315 4 years ago

Lots of coordinating red elements... posts, Gottlieb logo, outfits, etc.

IMG_6366.JPG

#3316 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I recently picked up a working GTB Universe from a local that was moving. The Universe is mostly original (including bg) with the exception of a couple of bells that were missing, and a GTB 70's style on/off switch with new power cord. Someone painted the legs too. Fun to play.
Also, I included a pic of my Pop-a-Card which is next to my Dimension. I picked up the Pop-a-Card along with a Captain Card (in storage) awhile back from deep in the woods of northern Wisconsin (cheese head territory). Those 2 have been getting a lot of play as of late. Around the corner from these is Abra, El Dorado, and Jacks Open.

Universe - col 005.JPG 287 KB

Universe - col 004.JPG 259 KB

Universe - col 011.JPG 253 KB

Universe - col 019.JPG 247 KB

Universe - col 020.JPG 266 KB

Universe - col 021.JPG 243 KB

Universe - col 009.JPG 223 KB

Universe - col 010.JPG 217 KB

Universe - col 014.JPG 272 KB

Universe - col 016.JPG 295 KB

Very nice! I want a Gottlieb Universe. Love the layout and the retro "space race/sci-fi" theme.

#3317 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

You scored, dude!

#3318 4 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Very nice! I want a Gottlieb Universe. Love the layout and the retro "space race/sci-fi" theme.

I've been playing the heck out of it since I fixed the minor issues with the game. Landing in the gobble hole awards either 100, 200, or 300 points and for every 100 points or completed trip the knocker goes off. So, if you land in the the gobble hole and it's lit for 300 points it's knock-knock-knock - sounds like a machine gun. It sounds as if someone is winning a ton of games when you play it I'm going to work on the left flippers tonight.

#3319 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

You scored, dude!

Yes I did. We snarf up a woodrail here in Illinois every now and then. Nothing like you guys out east that have a chance to buy trailer loads at an auction

#3320 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Yes I did. We snarf up woodrail here in Illinois every now and then. Nothing like you guys out east that have a chance to buy trailer loads at an auction

Yeah, well...

#3321 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Lots of coordinating red elements... posts, Gottlieb logo, outfits, etc.

IMG_6366.JPG 76 KB

Your logic makes sense with the red rings underneath. Funny if all the games on IPBD are the wrong ones!

Can you post a better picture of the red caps so I can see what to order on my next pbr order? Thanks

#3322 4 years ago

I'll post a better photo later this week. For Flipper Fair I ordered two red Deco Domed 1 Point (http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm about 1/3 of the way down the page).

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other differences to be found on IPDB. Many of the games are old and have been replaced with different parts. Since all photos are contributions I guess whoever gets there first sets the standard.

Oh well... even if there is a standard, I don't always follow it verbatim. I do whatever looks best in the spirit of the game. Like installing "cabaret lighting" under the top ball arch or replacing those laundromat-looking instruction cards with more attractive versions. Basically whatever would pass as something the original designers would do, given the time and motivation.

#3323 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I especially like your wedgehead toppers, LOL but seriously that Universe is sweet!!

#3324 4 years ago

The inventory for the seasonal business has to go under and over the pins.
Better than have it take the place of the pins

#3325 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'll post a better photo later this week. For Flipper Fair I ordered two red Deco Domed 1 Point (http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm about 1/3 of the way down the page).
I wouldn't be surprised if there are other differences to be found on IPDB. Many of the games are old and have been replaced with different parts. Since all photos are contributions I guess whoever gets there first sets the standard.
Oh well... even if there is a standard, I don't always follow it verbatim. I do whatever looks best in the spirit of the game. Like installing "cabaret lighting" under the top ball arch or replacing those laundromat-looking instruction cards with more attractive versions. Basically whatever would pass as something the original designers would do, given the time and motivation.

Makes sense.

This one?

decd1pwl.jpg
#3326 4 years ago

No. It's the other one with "1 point" only... no "when lit" (because it's always lit).

#3327 4 years ago

Nice Universe Hoov. One similar may be coming my way soon...

#3328 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nice Universe Hoov. One similar may be coming my way soon...

Hope you get it!

My paint under the legs is not faded at all so the paint held up well on this game beings it's 55 years old. Probably housed in a dark basement for most of it's adult life. The front of the cabinet/coin door area is the worst part of the cabinet. Normal wear around the ball lift and shooter and there were holes drilled in two places for a security bar. Coin door is mangled a bit in the top right corner. Legs are painted - no biggie.

Both the playfield and backglass are good for their age - won't need a repro bg (if it's even available - didn't look).

#3329 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Hope you get it!

Me too! It is from a most reliable source, and from the couple of pics I have seen it is in very nice shape. Thanks for the overall revue of the game as I have never played one. In fact I have played very few 50s era machines. But the more of them I see, the more I like. I know it's not a Gott, but that Rocket's got me hooked. It may be after the new year, but I can wait. Patience is my middle name.

#3330 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

No. It's the other one with "1 point" only... no "when lit" (because it's always lit).

Thanks - will order some red.

decd1p.gif
#3331 4 years ago

Completed the resto on my El Dorado which I purchased from hoov some months ago. Resto included:
-cab clean & minor touch up;
-replace cab bottom board;
-strip backbox & overhaul score reels, relays & ball count unit;
-strip playfield, wax using Minwax (thks for the earlier tip), replace rubbers & plastics, ultrasound plastic parts, tumble/ refinish metal parts, rebuild flippers & pop bumpers and new sleeves to all coils, replace kicker switches, touch up wear points;
-solder base to body of all bulb holders (good to see not a flickering light);
-remove rust & polish legs, replace x1 internal cab leg brace bracket;
-remove motor board and clean & adjust all contact points; diagnose malfunction of A interlock relay (incorrect spring on delatch relay);
-replace missing parts from tilt mechanism;
-replace coin & backbox locks
-clean, adjust & confirm operation of coin mechanisms;
-lube per parts catalogue;
-replace power cable & install earth to coin door.
Confirm gameplay operation-
-faulty lower right kicker connection;
-maladjusted upper rollover;
-loose terminal on right flipper switch;
-maladjusted 10 drop target reset switch preventing reset during gameplay.

The machine after resto plays really well & fast & has that new tone to the mechanics. Now need to relocate to gamesroom by removing a game??

Thks to all for your help during resto and particularly to hoov for coordinating parts from PBR.

ElDcabresto.jpg

ElDcabresto1.jpg

ElDbgarr.jpg

ElDpfresto.jpg

#3332 4 years ago

Wow, looks nice wayner!

You guys in AU sure know how to restore pins! Fishermans Bay now has a mechanical museum!

#3333 4 years ago

got the new-to-me plastics in for the sea ray. they're a massive improvement but anything would have been better than the original ones.
what should have been a quick project to a bit longer since 6 post holes were stripped and a previous owner had used tooth pics or whatever to fill the holes which is fine, but there was no glue holding the repair wood together. so i cleaned them out and glued in skewers. screwed the screws in, backed them out, wicked in thin CA to harden the threads, and cleaned both sides of the plastics with novus 2. the only thing better about the original plastics were the metal bell shaped supports, they're really shiny which lends evidence to my idea that this game didn't get played much in it's life. anyway, i had to get this game up and running which now it is, for the weekend. i'll go back and either polish the new supports or remove the old ones via the soldering gun trick and attach them to the new ones. only thing left to do is get new bumper caps-the text on these has completely faded.
in the pic you can see the marked difference between the old and new plastics. other pics are of all the plastics and the playfield with the new ones installed. sorry that pic is kinda dark, the flash on my phone isn't as bright as it used to be.
photo (14).JPGphoto (15).JPGphoto (16).JPG

#3334 4 years ago

Nice work on finding the replacement Sea Ray plastics. They are a huge improvement.

As for trying to move the standoffs from your old plastics to your new plastics, I'd first try your hand at polishing up the standoff from the new plastics to see if you can make them shine well enough. Removing and reinstalling the standoffs from the old plastics does not come without risks.

If you have the new plastics installed with the standoff that came with them in place your playfield looks amazing.

New bumper caps and it will be the icing on the cake.

Have fun with Sea Ray - it is a challenging game.

#3335 4 years ago

Here is a couple shots of my Williams EM's. So much fun to play.

Space_chip2.JPGDSCN4803.JPG

#3336 4 years ago

Nice looking machines; nice games room.

#3337 4 years ago

The better pics w/red caps...

_MG_3435.jpg

_MG_3431.jpg

#3338 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Nice work on finding the replacement Sea Ray plastics. They are a huge improvement.
As for trying to move the standoffs from your old plastics to your new plastics, I'd first try your hand at polishing up the standoff from the new plastics to see if you can make them shine well enough. Removing and reinstalling the standoffs from the old plastics does not come without risks.
If you have the new plastics installed with the standoff that came with them in place your playfield looks amazing.
New bumper caps and it will be the icing on the cake.
Have fun with Sea Ray - it is a challenging game.

Thanks.
I was surprised to find a complete set as especially in the condition they're in. The posts should polish up fine-I looked at them again and there's no pitting, just the usual playfield grime.

#3339 4 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Thanks.
I was surprised to find a complete set as especially in the condition they're in. The posts should polish up fine-I looked at them again and there's no pitting, just the usual playfield grime.

Use Mother's Mag Polish in the paste form and they will turn out exceptional. You'll wonder why you even considered swapping them over.

#3340 4 years ago

This is a tad belated, but I finished restoring my keeper Lucky Hand last month. The score motor board was a terrible mess when I got it. Somebody had removed all the lacing around the harnesses, so wires were hanging loose all over the place. I would have liked to properly redo the wax lacing, but learning the right technique was a headache I didn't want, so I used zip ties instead. In the unbundled mess of wires were also non-factory modifications that needed correcting. Fortunately I had another Lucky Hand to use as a reference in undoing these hacks. Once the wiring was fixed, I went about rebuilding everything else. A decagon unit in the 10k score reel was badly pitted, necessitating replacement from a parts machine. Everything else was a straightforward disassemble/clean/rebuild. Besides the mechanical rehabilitation, I also made some judicious touch-ups to the cabinet and used waterslide decals to make the keylines around the inserts nice and black again. I also used decals to restore the letters/numbers on the drop targets. Miscellaneous: new sticker for the coin door, new pop bumper caps from PBR, side rails regrained, and total play meter (for tracking post-restore games) installed. Lastly, I lucked out and scored a Ron Webb reproduction backglass long after he sold out.

Pre-restoration: wiring mess on the left, reference on the right
Restored score motor board mechanics
Restored playfield mechanics
Restored playfield, high view
Restored playfield, low view
Restored cabinet, right view
Restored cabinet, front view
Restored cabinet, left view

#3341 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

This is a tad belated, but I finished restoring my keeper Lucky Hand last month. The score motor board was a terrible mess when I got it. Somebody had removed all the lacing around the harnesses, so wires were hanging loose all over the place. I would have liked to properly redo the wax lacing, but learning the right technique was a headache I didn't want, so I used zip ties instead. In the unbundled mess of wires were also non-factory modifications that needed correcting. Fortunately I had another Lucky Hand to use as a reference in undoing these hacks. Once the wiring was fixed, I went about rebuilding everything else. A decagon unit in the 10k score reel was badly pitted, necessitating replacement from a parts machine. Everything else was a straightforward disassemble/clean/rebuild. Besides the mechanical rehabilitation, I also made some judicious touch-ups to the cabinet and used waterslide decals to make the keylines around the inserts nice and black again. I also used decals to restore the letters/numbers on the drop targets. Miscellaneous: new sticker for the coin door, side rails regrained, and total play meter (for tracking post-restore games) installed. Lastly, I lucked out and scored a Ron Webb reproduction backglass long after he sold out.

Lucky Double Boards-56.JPG 356 KB

Lucky Restored Front-342.JPG 190 KB

Lucky Restored Left-671.JPG 239 KB

Lucky Restored Playfield High-48... 264 KB

Lucky Restored Playfield Low-832... 187 KB

Lucky Restored Internals High-81... 263 KB

Lucky Restored Right-253.JPG 223 KB

Lucky Restored Internals Low-529... 297 KB

Very nice!!!

#3342 4 years ago

the wax lacing is really easy to do, it just takes time to do. if you want I have a roll of lacing I can send you some. it looks so much better than zip ties

#3343 4 years ago

Beautiful Lucky Hand and gameroom.

#3344 4 years ago

Awesome Lucky Hand. It didn't take you long to get 24 games! You Minnesota guys sure have nice game rooms.

Question - do you have your 2001 in your collection playing or is it in storage right now? Just curious as to how game play compares to the Dimension.

I also see you have a Close Encounters em - sweet.

#3345 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

This is a tad belated, but I finished restoring my keeper Lucky Hand last month. The score motor board was a terrible mess when I got it. Somebody had removed all the lacing around the harnesses, so wires were hanging loose all over the place. I would have liked to properly redo the wax lacing, but learning the right technique was a headache I didn't want, so I used zip ties instead. In the unbundled mess of wires were also non-factory modifications that needed correcting. Fortunately I had another Lucky Hand to use as a reference in undoing these hacks. Once the wiring was fixed, I went about rebuilding everything else. A decagon unit in the 10k score reel was badly pitted, necessitating replacement from a parts machine. Everything else was a straightforward disassemble/clean/rebuild. Besides the mechanical rehabilitation, I also made some judicious touch-ups to the cabinet and used waterslide decals to make the keylines around the inserts nice and black again. I also used decals to restore the letters/numbers on the drop targets. Miscellaneous: new sticker for the coin door, new pop bumper caps from PBR, side rails regrained, and total play meter (for tracking post-restore games) installed. Lastly, I lucked out and scored a Ron Webb reproduction backglass long after he sold out.

Lucky Double Boards-56.JPG 356 KB

Lucky Restored Front-342.JPG 190 KB

Lucky Restored Left-671.JPG 239 KB

Lucky Restored Playfield High-48... 264 KB

Lucky Restored Playfield Low-832... 187 KB

Lucky Restored Internals High-81... 263 KB

Lucky Restored Right-253.JPG 223 KB

Lucky Restored Internals Low-529... 297 KB

WOW!

#3346 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

You Minnesota guys sure have nice game rooms.

We need something to do during the long, dark, cold winters...

#3347 4 years ago

IMG_1245.JPG IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1252.JPG
#3348 4 years ago

Hit the deck , 1 out of 325 made... wonder how many of these are still surviving?

20141205_183148.jpg
#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

Hit the deck , 1 out of 325 made... wonder how many of these are still surviving?

I know of two others here in MN, so that's 3 at least.

#3350 4 years ago

those late 70's em's tend to have a higher save rate than earlier games percentage wise.
my hypothesis is that these late games did not stay on route long and were sold to the secondary market ie home owners.
one factor over looked on these late 70's em's is the fact that a lot of them got shipped over seas
so how many still here? guess we will never really know

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 67.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
There are 12132 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 243.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside